GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 795
0 members and 795 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2021, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question This might get me cancelled...

x

Last edited by abeautyy; 01-14-2021 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-14-2021, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeautyy View Post
Legitimate question and I am not seeking to get canceled, but I really would appreciate honesty even if it hurts. Anywho, in the Spring of 2019, before COVID hit, Alpha Kappa Alpha hosted an interest meeting and formal rush. The only sororities on campus are them, Zetas and SGRHO. So we're missing one basically. Anyways, I never got to experience the luxury of having scholarly mentors growing up (PWI private schools) except for one year of public city middle school and all of the teachers were Deltas except for the principal, who was an AKA. But anyways, never really got to experience high school sororities, frats...Anything and I went to JUCO where there were of course no greek life. My first Greek experiences came from college parties that the surrounding Universities hosted and I saw mostly Deltas and Ques and a wide range of NPC depending on which club I went to.

Anyways to the nitty-gritty. I got to my uni and the AKAs ran the yard for the semester, however before I even got here I heard bad stuff. Just bad stuff dealing with the chapter as a whole and I remember my first week being here, I went to Subway on campus and two of the members came to Subway, at different times, and didn't speak to each other. They actually acted very cold to each other and one even rolled their eyes at the other. They were supposedly threatened to not be able to have an intake if they couldn't squish the beef between all of them... And a lot of the drama was very well known and no one really respected them on the yard as a chapter. Not even exaggerating. I went to every "social" they hosted, every single event...I even showed up early in hopes to make a good impression.

I however went to their meeting and was intrigued more than the other ones I was introduced to, so I went through with Rush. A little background tip, I had a roommate who was a known hoe around campus but she was the only girl in my dorm I actually got along with, so...maybe the indirect reputation had something to do with it, but I got rejected. I had all of the qualifications but it's a running theme with this chapter that they reject members that they know are interested to see what they'll do next... Like a test. Understandable, but however, there was a lot of drama shortly after the rush, before we got letters or emails. There was some "hazing" (nothing too major, expected), but there was mess spread about the girls who got rejected, slight bullying after the fact that I really did not like. It didn't bother me any. I actually had a rumor go on about me having sex with one of the members brother and wanting to talk to him just so I can get into the org... which was ridiculous because I didn't know her or who her brother was...But whatever. It was so much more messy petty crap that happened during the process and after that turned me off towards the chapter.... And the organization too. And I do not mean this in an overall general offense towards the org, I just feel like this specific chapter did not represent the organization to their best ability sooo I have very little exposure..And I'm sorry I don't mean any respect towards Alpha Kappa Alpha and I wish the first impression was satisfactory...BUT here's the deal.

The Deltas are coming back to the yard this semester... (ooo ahh I know), but there is a teacher here that I absolutely LOVE and I knew she was a Delta. Her energy and even the advisor(?) that they have here now is amazing...Their energy and all. I do know that there is an "implied rivalry" between the two... And a interest meeting is being set up, so who knows if I'll actually like the org in general but what if I do? Will this get my blacklisted? How do I go about it? Because I know how it'll look, but I know I'm not morally a spiteful person... BUT ALSO, there are MAAANYYY members on this campus who have openly said they settled for AKA because Deltas were not on the yard when intake processes started happening... Advice? Criticism?
QFP
Old 01-15-2021, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
QFP
God bless you....
Old 01-17-2021, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

That was...a lot. *sigh*
Old 01-18-2021, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

She posted several threads on reddit as well. *sigh* indeed.

I thought discretion was key?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity