GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,477
1 members and 1,476 guests
haleyjuniroz689

Old 07-17-2004, 05:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CSUSigEp
I, Robot

It was great.

Discuss.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Have to wait till it comes out Open Captioned or on tape
Old 07-17-2004, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
*Cough* Blade Runner 2 *cough*

Kidding...well sort of.

This film reminds me so much of Blad Runner with Harrison Ford that I'm thinking why can't Hollywood come up with new ideas. On the other hand it looks pretty good so I might go see it.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
I might think about seeing it.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 07-17-2004, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I thouht blade runner had a deeper feel. A little better story, better actors and better acting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
*Cough* Blade Runner 2 *cough*

Kidding...well sort of.

This film reminds me so much of Blad Runner with Harrison Ford that I'm thinking why can't Hollywood come up with new ideas. On the other hand it looks pretty good so I might go see it.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I, Robot is one of my favorite book. Did the movie did the book justice?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think its actually based on the book . . I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
I, Robot is one of my favorite book. Did the movie did the book justice?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by James
I don't think its actually based on the book . . I am not sure.
I, Robot was written by Isaac Asimov.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Silly Rabbit.

Imean I don't know that the movie is based on any specific story from the book.

here is a review.

I, ROBOT / ** (PG-13)

July 16, 2004

Spooner: Will Smith
Dr. Susan Calvin: Bridget Moynahan
Lance Robertson: Bruce Greenwood
Lt. John Bergin: Chi McBride
Sonny: Alan Tudyk
Dr. Alfred Lanning: James Cromwell
Chin: Peter Shinkoda
Sarah Lloyd: Emily Tennant

Twentieth Century Fox presents a film directed by Alex Proyas. Written by Jeff Vintar and Akiva Goldsman. Suggested by Isaac Asimov's book. Running time: 115 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for intense stylized action and some brief partial nudity).

BY ROGER EBERT

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

--Isaac Asimov's I, Robot

'I, Robot" takes place in Chicago circa 2035, a city where spectacular new skyscrapers share the skyline with landmarks like the Sears (but not the Trump) Tower. The tallest of the buildings belongs to U.S. Robotics, and on the floor of its atrium lobby lies the dead body of its chief robot designer, apparently a suicide.

Det. Del Spooner is on the case. Will Smith plays Spooner, a Chicago Police Department detective who doesn't think it's suicide. He has a deep-seated mistrust of robots, despite the famous Three Laws of Robotics, which declare above all that a robot must not harm a human being.

The dead man is Dr. Alfred Lanning (James Cromwell), who, we are told, wrote the Three Laws. Every schoolchild knows the laws were set down by the good doctor Isaac Asimov, after a conversation he had on Dec. 23, 1940, with John W. Campbell, the legendary editor of Astounding Science Fiction. It is peculiar that no one in the film knows that, especially since the film is "based on the book by Isaac Asimov." Would it have killed the filmmakers to credit Asimov?

Asimov's robot stories were often based on robots that got themselves hopelessly entangled in logical contradictions involving the laws. According to the invaluable Wikipedia encyclopedia on the Web, Harlan Ellison and Asimov collaborated in the 1970s on an "I, Robot" screenplay, which, the good doctor said, would produce "the first really adult, complex, worthwhile science fiction movie ever made."

While that does not speak highly for "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968), it is certain that the screenplay for this film, by Jeff Vintar and Akiva Goldsman, is not adult, complex or worthwhile, although it is indeed science fiction. The director is Alex Proyas, whose great "Dark City" (1998) was also about a hero trying to make sense of the deceptive natures of the beings around him.

The movie makes Spooner into another one of those movie cops who insults the powerful, races recklessly around town, gets his badge pulled by his captain, solves the crime and survives incredible physical adventures. In many of these exploits he is accompanied by Dr. Susan Calvin (Bridget Moynahan), whose job at U.S. Robotics is "to make the robots seem more human."

At this she is not very successful. The movie's robots are curiously uninvolving as individuals, and when seen by the hundreds or thousands look like shiny chromium ants. True, a robot need not have much of a personality, but there is one robot, named Sonny and voiced by Alan Tudyk, who is more advanced than the standard robot, more "human," and capable of questions like "What am I?" -- a question many movie characters might profitably ask themselves.

If Sonny doesn't have real feelings, he comes as close to them as any of the humans in the movie. Both Spooner and Calvin are kept in motion so relentlessly that their human sides get overlooked, except for a touching story Spooner tells about how a little girl dies because a robot was too logical. Sonny doesn't seem as "human" as, say, Andrew, the robot played by Robin Williams in "Bicentennial Man" (1999), based on a robot story by Asimov and Robert Silverberg. But his voice has a certain poignancy, and suggests some the chilly chumminess of HAL 9000.

The plot I will not detail, except to note that you already know from the ads that the robots are up to no good, and Spooner could write a lot of tickets for Three Laws violations.

The plot is simple-minded and disappointing, and the chase and action scenes are pretty much routine for movies in the sci-fi CGI genre. The robots never seem to have the heft and weight of actual metallic machines, and make boring villains.

Dr. Susan Calvin is one of those handy movie characters who knows all the secrets, can get through all the doors, can solve all the problems and helps Spooner move almost at will through the Robotics skyscraper, which seems curiously ill-guarded. When they team up against the eventual villain, it's an obvious ploy to create yet another space where characters can fall for hundreds of feet and somehow save themselves.

As for the robots, they function like the giant insects in "Starship Troopers," as video game targets. You can't even be mad at them, since they're only programs. Although, come to think of it, you can be mad at programs; Microsoft Word has inspired me to rage far beyond anything these robots engender.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Queencece
I, Robot

Well, I saw it on opening night. I thought it was a GREAT action movie. It was well worth the money. I thought it was funny and action packed. Will Smith was great and NAKED for a minute. Don't worry, he has no butt!

Q
Old 07-18-2004, 04:59 AM
Banned

Ummm OK but not too great?

-Rudey
Old 07-18-2004, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I, Robot

He's got well muscled body, the girls in the audience were giving cat calls. . . odd the spent a lot of time developing sexual tension in he movie between him and the doc and he didn't even get a kiss.

Quote:
Originally posted by Queencece
Well, I saw it on opening night. I thought it was a GREAT action movie. It was well worth the money. I thought it was funny and action packed. Will Smith was great and NAKED for a minute. Don't worry, he has no butt!

Q
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I finally saw the movie.

It was good, but I didn't think it was GREAT!

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as the critics said it was going to be.
I thought this movie was a combination of several movies, like "Blade Runner", "2001: A Space Oddessy" and "The Terminator".
This wasn't an original movie by any means and this story line has been done to death.
However, it was entertaining and yes Will Smith looks damn good!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
It was better than I expected, let's leave it at that.

And Will Smith in the shower is just beautiful!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: In the Happy Home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers that sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes!
It was okay...

Hmm... Okay, saw it last night and while it was okay, I just didn't think it was up to par with some of the other movies this summer, considering all of the hype that it recieved. I think and hope that Village will be a lot better, and the media hype isn't as obvious. I feel like it is an original premise, based on a classic theme. That is a good concept. I know it is a little off topic, but they are opening around the same time, and will be competing. Plus, I am a huge M Night fan and have been awaiting The Village for like a year, so the fact that it is coming this month literally makes me want to shout!

Naming a movie after a good sci-fi book doesn't make the movie good, and I feel like this is what Hollywood has done with I, Robot. Purchase the name, put in a big star (who gets naked), and make a mediocre film.

Hollywood