GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,139
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zabyanusasdo530
» Online Users: 1,090
2 members and 1,088 guests
Xidelt, zabyanusasdo530

Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't watched the video but I believe the Washington Post article I read earlier said that the brother struggled a bit and the dancer restrained him with her legs.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Hannah View Post
I haven't watched the video but I believe the Washington Post article I read earlier said that the brother struggled a bit and the dancer restrained him with her legs.
The photos seem to suggest this as well.

I'm curious to know what role the chapter plays in getting the members re-settled. Are they responsible for finding them new apartments, do they put them in a hotel until housing is secured? This was an immediate closure, similar to SAE at Oklahoma, where they had to pack up very quickly and vacate the premises.

And, would the pledges be allowed to rush into another chapter? It appears very likely they hadn't completed Initiation yet, allowing them the freedom to do so.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Considering a pledge of an NPC sorority would be eligible to rush and sign a bid for another sorority pretty much the minute the chapter closed, I'm betting an NIC fraternity pledge in the same situation would be able to do so as well. Whether he would actually receive a bid is a whole other matter.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

They would seem to me to be "damaged goods" from the video I saw on National TV just a few minutes ago. They all seemed to be having quite the time as observers.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I really don't want to see this video, but my mind is going, "ew."
Old 10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

I hope this rapist goes to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison for a LONG time.
You are advocating prison rape in the same sentence that you condemn a rapist.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
I'm curious to know what role the chapter plays in getting the members re-settled. Are they responsible for finding them new apartments, do they put them in a hotel until housing is secured? This was an immediate closure, similar to SAE at Oklahoma, where they had to pack up very quickly and vacate the premises.
Per the IDS: The University does not own the house that previously housed the chapter and therefore cannot make the decision on whether or not the ATO members will have to vacate the house on Third Street.

“We cannot force anybody out of that house,” Land said.

The ATO Alumni Housing Corporation is in the process of deciding whether the former fraternity brothers will be evicted from the house.

ETA: When the house is vacated (now or at the end of the semester/year), I wouldn't be surprised if the University does try to snap it up. I'm guessing either that's going to happen or one of the unhoused fraternities will move in.

Last edited by Sister Havana; 10-08-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I would expect that housing corp will want them out ASAP to minimize damages to the house. When the last IU fraternity was kicked out of their house a few years ago, they gave them one week to be out. Housing may be hard to find this time of the year, the housing corp would be generous if they let them stay until break. However, I don't know if I would be so generous in this situation.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I think about the freshmen. They aren't little boys, but they're at a pivotal stage in their lives where everything is new to them - new school, being away from home for the first time, having to make new friends, etc. It's almost like starting high school again where they're the new guys having to make a name for themselves.

Those big brothers and upperclassmen are supposed to take them under their wing, mentor them, and help them adjust to new surroundings. Not get them booted out of their house and then face possible humiliation or rejection.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You are advocating prison **** in the same sentence that you condemn a ******.
Whoa, let's put the brakes on here.

I read the article on cnn.com and jumped to an erroneous conclusion about the "sex act" in question. I haven't watched the video. I don't even know how to access the video, and I don't particularly want to go looking for it. My post was based on what I saw in the article and in this thread. I jumped to conclusions, and I have already apologized for this.

Last edited by aephi alum; 10-09-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Folks, if we can't stop throwing around the rape word when there's no evidence that any rape occurred, I'm going to have to lock the thread. In today's climate, that is no longer a word which can be casually thrown around when discussing fraternity misconduct. The word comes with huge consequences for the individuals involved.

ETA: If you have used that word or made such a reference, I request that you please edit your post to remove said reference. I respect all of you enough to let you handle that yourselves.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 10-09-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Folks, if we can't stop throwing around the rape word when there's no evidence that any rape occurred, I'm going to have to lock the thread. In today's climate, that is no longer a word which can be casually thrown around when discussing fraternity misconduct. The word comes with huge consequences for the individuals involved.
AMEN.

As far as getting kicked out of the house that the alumni own, isn't the alumni's outlook on things part of why the chapter keeps getting shut down and recolonized but things don't seem to change? That's my take anyway. So I don't think the alumni would kick them out.