GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,254
1 members and 1,253 guests
dizzycmaarleyy5

Old 07-06-2003, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Expansion

I have af riend who is looking to start up a frat at Brooklyn College, yet all the Frats that he has e-mailed havent answered him or did for awhile and then just stopped replying to him. Dose anyone know whats up with this or is the normal? He has tried a few diffrent ones and has all but given up the idea. I would really like to see him pull it off...Any advice out there?

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2003, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mooch279
What group has he been in contact with, if you dont mind me asking? I know my nations is a bitch to get answers from about anything and we are brothers, i can only imagine what it would be like for a non-member to try and get anywhere. I would say keep trying to get a hold of someone and try and have a sit down with them to pleed his case for opening a chapter. if there are any chapter in the area that he could go to, to try and get their help as well. Also talk to the greek advisor, nationals like to welcomed by the campus so that might make his college more appealing for the them to want to open a new chapter there. also he might want to start a local to show the nationals that he wants to affiliate with that he is organized and will make a great addition. it will show that there is a bigger intrest then just one person. the more ways you show how you can be a great asset the better. remember every chapter is an investment and nationals want to know that they will get a good return on their investment. hope this helps.
University of Maryland, Baltimore County '02
FD 279
Old 07-06-2003, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
He has tried (among others) DTD, and Delta Phi Sigma (who answered him for awhile then cut off replying). The Greek advisor on campus is open to new GLO's but he prefers them national, and not local....Is it possible that one of the problems is b/c we are a commuter school that they arent taking us seriously? We have a strong Greek system with 11 GLO's, including (but no limted to) Sigma Alpha Mu, Zeta Beta Theta, Sigma Delta Tau, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Epsilon Pi, and more.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Maybe the organizations that your friend contacted might have too much colony as it is and they might be working on the existing colonies. Also, has he tries other organizations that are primarily in the northeast such as AXP, TEP, etc.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It may be that that school isn't desirable for expansion. I know that my national's investigates the school when they receive a request. And there are some schools that it’s not worth colonizing at for the larger Fraternities (too much hassle, they have other opportunities that year, ect). I would say, if you dont have luck with a larger nationals, try one of the smaller Fraternities, who are more egger to expand, I have a friend who is a Delta Phi and he said that they are looking to expand to northern schools. Also they should try to differentiate their group some how, good grade, athletes, campus leaders, these things add up when a fraternity is making the decision to expand. Make an effort to show how easy it would be to colonize. I would say contact all the national offices you can I’m sure one is looking to expand.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to all of you that answered!

Patriae Multae Spes Una