GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,486
1 members and 1,485 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2022, 08:56 AM

Update

https://www.al.com/life/2022/08/i-am...sh-tiktok.html

What a jackass. He’s made it harder for people who actually ARE trans and non-binary (sorry, but I don’t believe for a minute that he is) to go through rush by making a giant joke of everything for likes and clicks. I really wish Trumpy would have followed through and banned tiktok when he had the chance.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

and he has really encouraged other trouble makers to follow his example in doing this. Making rush and sororities seem petty, useless and bigoted. More and more men will take advantage of our sororities' crushing desire not to look bad to anyone. He was just screwing with us and it will not be the last time.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

What GPA does a PNM need to have a competitive recruitment at Alabama? Just wondering since Grant touted his 3.19 in the article.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don’t believe a word this person says anymore.

It wasn’t for attention yet he’s certainly not turning down any interviews? How
Many Tik Tok videos will he come up with, analyzing every aspect of this experience?

But it’s not for attention, he swears!
Old 08-19-2022, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4Me View Post
What GPA does a PNM need to have a competitive recruitment at Alabama? Just wondering since Grant touted his 3.19 in the article.
The recommended GPA is a 3.2 BUT the incoming class of 2026 had a 3.8 average. Those are just the freshman numbers and I’m sure that the upperclassman also have to have higher GPAs to be able to compete.

Last edited by SMUSweetheart; 08-19-2022 at 07:57 PM. Reason: s to d
Old 08-19-2022, 11:39 PM

I’m thinking NPC needs to start making rules regarding social media and that it’s essential for members and rushees to stay off of it.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My understanding from some on the ground so to speak is that Grant never said he was Transgender in order to "sneak in" to recruitment. Honestly him being able to go through recruitment is more of a Panhellenic issue and maybe something needs to changed in the wording when dealing with circumstances like this.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUSweetheart View Post
He just went on TikTok and said that he is not transgender, he is not nonbinary, and he identifies as a male. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t understand why he didn’t clarify this before sorority recruitment and I hate to sound unkind but I think the reason is attention. He knew he wouldn’t get a bid and he continues on with all of this for attention and followers. It is a whole big mess and it’s a shame that it’s reflecting negatively on the Panhellenic system.
I did find this confusing. My understanding is that most organizations have changed their language to specifically include any person who identifies as female, to include trans women which I think is great. But he was very clear in his video that he does NOT consider himself a trans woman?

It also sounds like independent of his gender identity he had a lot of red flags as a PNM, including being a junior which generally is really a huge hurdle for any pnm.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPhiERDoc View Post

It also sounds like independent of his gender identity he had a lot of red flags as a PNM, including being a junior which generally is really a huge hurdle for any pnm.
Most schools have upperclass quota now. Alabama does.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetamae View Post
My understanding from some on the ground so to speak is that Grant never said he was Transgender in order to "sneak in" to recruitment. Honestly him being able to go through recruitment is more of a Panhellenic issue and maybe something needs to changed in the wording when dealing with circumstances like this.
This is another thing I'm having a hard time tracking down. When and where did HE say he was transgender? Perhaps he said this at some point and I just can't locate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPhiERDoc View Post
I did find this confusing. My understanding is that most organizations have changed their language to specifically include any person who identifies as female, to include trans women which I think is great. But he was very clear in his video that he does NOT consider himself a trans woman?
There's certainly some misleading messaging bouncing around, indicating that only two or three NPC sororities have policies accepting transgender women. This isn't true.

At the same time, I'm not aware of any sororities that have policies accepting non-binary members, so perhaps this is at least partially what caused the heavy cuts.

Quote:
Where are you seeing that he's a junior? Based on his Instagram page, he graduated high school last year.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-21-2022, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I’m thinking NPC needs to start making rules regarding social media and that it’s essential for members and rushees to stay off of it.
I don’t know - it’s such a part of the lives of this generation, I think that might be impossible at this point?
And for the most part, I actually found a lot of the TikToks with the work week stuff and the PNMs OOTD really cute and in good taste. It also may get a lot of people excited about Greek life who wouldn’t otherwise have any exposure to it?
Old 08-21-2022, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
This is another thing I'm having a hard time tracking down. When and where did HE say he was transgender? Perhaps he said this at some point and I just can't locate it?

There's certainly some misleading messaging bouncing around, indicating that only two or three NPC sororities have policies accepting transgender women. This isn't true.

At the same time, I'm not aware of any sororities that have policies accepting non-binary members, so perhaps this is at least partially what caused the heavy cuts.

Where are you seeing that he's a junior? Based on his Instagram page, he graduated high school last year.

He graduated with his AA from community college before he started at Alabama and so he’s a junior by credits, not by age.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

“The Sorority Drama Circling the University of Alabama”—-dated today, this is the headline for my morning NYT’s newsfeed.

Sadly, it won’t die.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I don't see that it reflects negatively on PH. He lied. He had invites. He got dropped. EOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Ugh. What a fiasco!

I don’t think it reflects negatively for PH though. They took him at his word when he filled out the application and gave him a chance. That’s what you’re supposed to do: when someone tells you their gender identity, believe it and respect them. Take them as they are presenting themselves. That’s what everyone did.

There’s only one person who comes off looking really bad here.

Unfortunately, it did reflect negatively on PH. Theta and Gamma Phi were the only two chapters that didn't cut Grant right away. Those two chapters gave him a chance. When he eventually got dropped, I saw a bunch of people get on our Gamma Phi Beta Alabama chapter Insta and post things like "Justice for Grant!!!!" I don't understand why they were protesting the chapter that tried to give him a chance when the others just straight dropped him ASAP. But yeah, they wanted to shame Gamma Phi for not bidding him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I don't know if he ever said he was transgender; but, Grant said on TT that he is a male. In his video he says, quote, "I am not transgender", "My sex is male. I was born male.", "I'm just non-binary....I live my life as just Grant."

But then Grant's LinkedIn says "she/her" for pronouns. I'm not sure what "their" current preference is.

True and Constant
Old 08-21-2022, 12:18 PM

I’m pretty sure “publicity seeking jagoff” is the pronoun we should be using for this person at this point.