GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,090
1 members and 1,089 guests
AOIIalum

Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Trasferring

Hey Everyone!
So I was wondering what the rules were on going to a different school that doesn't have your sorority. I am an initiated member of my sorority but I am transferring to another school that does not have my sorority. I know that you are not allowed to rush or join another sorority once you have been initiated, and I would never want to do that anyway. But I was wondering if it was at all possible to start your sorority at another school. What steps would I have to take to do this?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I would contact the university's Panhellenic and Greek Life offices to see if they're open to expansion. If they are then I would think the next step is to contact your national office.

Any other suggestions Greek Chat members?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinz1972 View Post
Hey Everyone!
So I was wondering what the rules were on going to a different school that doesn't have your sorority. I am an initiated member of my sorority but I am transferring to another school that does not have my sorority. I know that you are not allowed to rush or join another sorority once you have been initiated, and I would never want to do that anyway. But I was wondering if it was at all possible to start your sorority at another school. What steps would I have to take to do this?
Instead of asking people on the Internet who have no idea what sorority or school you are talking about, how about asking your own sorority?

Establishing a new chapter is no simple, quickly done task. It can cost millions of dollars and work on the part of alumnae over years. They may not have any interest in establishing a chapter at your new school at this time. Your new school may not even be open for expansion. Your very own sorority can give you most of these answers.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

NPC has a set procedure for expansion. A campus must declare that it is open for expansion and notify NPC. This is after a decision to do so by the school's administration and a positive vote by the college Panhellenic. Once NpC receives the notification and timeline from the school, all NPC groups are notified and those interested in said campus forward packets of information to the school. The school then chooses which groups they want to come to campus and present. After the presentations, the college Panhellenic votes to extend an offer to the group or groups they deem a fit for their campus. This is typically a year long process.

So the bottom line is you would have to ask the Greek Adviser on the new campus if they are open for expansion.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Instead of asking people on the Internet who have no idea what sorority or school you are talking about, how about asking your own sorority?

Establishing a new chapter is no simple, quickly done task. It can cost millions of dollars and work on the part of alumnae over years. They may not have any interest in establishing a chapter at your new school at this time. Your new school may not even be open for expansion. Your very own sorority can give you most of these answers.
Katlady, you are new to GreekChat so I am going to cut you a little slack. Our web site isn't like that "other" one. We don't slam people here. If you do, you get banned. And we also try to give proper procedures. As you can see from the information I gave, the campus may have opened for expansion but her group may not have been notified yet. So asking her group is the last thing she should do at this point. At the top of the Sorority Recruitment page is a copy of the latest NPC Manual of Information - AKA Green Book. It might behoove you to take a look at it so that you are informed about current NPC procedures for expansion, recruitment, etc. Thank you and you're welcome.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi kinz1972!

sometimes, transferring means you get the education you're seeking (like a better program for your major) but you have to give up something (like your sorority membership). I've read about how some schools have organizations for "unaffiliated Greeks"; others who are in your situation. Maybe your new school will have something like that.

Also, you might reach out to the alumnae group in your area at your new school. Yeah, we'll all be a LOT older than you, but we'll fuss over you and be really excited to meet you. We might even adopt you and you'll get snacks and stuff and all that. Honest. Some of us get giddy when we can fuss over actives. Yeah, that would be me.

Another consideration: sometimes people transfer and the chapter at their new school is a horrible fit for them. Yeah, it happens. Chapters aren't cookie-cutter, despite what our headquarters likes to tell us ("we are all blah blah blahs"). I'm being truthful. I would no more have fit in at a Theta chapter a hundred miles from mine than I would have fit in at an engineering conference at MIT! BUT, as an alum, I do feel a strong sisterhood bond with other Thetas from all over (including MIT Thetas).

TL/DR: message is that I hope you'll find some useful ideas and you'll stick around and make connections. Many of my closest friends are Greek alumnae, who wear letters different from mine.