GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 818
0 members and 818 guests
No Members online

Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

"Sigma Iota Chi"?

Hey all,

Just your loveable PNM here I'm registering for recruitment online right now, and it asks to list legacy status. I remembered my Aunt was in a sorority in college, and in the form they consider it legacy status from your Aunt.

So, I asked her what sorority she was in. She told me "Sigma Iota Chi". This is the SECOND time she told me this..

I've been googling and found nothing called Sigma Iota Chi. I know it's definitely not an NPC sorority, obviously, which doesn't help me..but I'm just so puzzled. It's like it doesn't even exist.

I was thinking she maybe forgot the name of her GLO (YIKES) and maybe it was her chapter name? So I went to Widener U's website (where she went to college) and they have a Sigma Sigma Sigma chapter. I thought that's what she might have meant, Tri-Sigma, Iota Chi chapter or something..but it's like the Delta Xi chapter (that's probably not exactly it..but definitely not Iota Chi).

I'm so confused Has anyone heard of Sigma Iota Chi?

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Check you PMs.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Probably a local.

For a moment, I was going to say that I'm pretty sure it's a Christian sorority. I remember that a second cousin of mine recently Facebooked me, and when I was looking at her profile, I noticed she was a member of Sigma Phi Chi. Naturally, I was curious and looked it up and found out it was a Christian local. I believe the open meaning of their letters is "Sisters for Christ". When you said Sigma Iota Chi, I incorrectly remembered her sorority, and thought it was "Sisters in Christ".

But when you asked her what sorority she was in, why didn't you just ask her to tell you about it? Not to sounds rude, but if she was a member, I'm sure she can tell you a lot more about it than any of us can.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lovespink - It could be a local. I didn't think about that, because I don't know much (nothing, actually) about "local" sororities.

I asked her through a text message both times. The first time I asked her, I didn't think much of it. This time, I'm looking more into it because I'm about to go through recruitment, so I'm fascinated with the matter right now. She's busy and I'm busy, and since it's obviously not an NPC sorority (which won't help me during recruitment) it's not a pressing matter so I didn't want to call her. I'll see her this weekend at a family reunion, and I plan on asking her then...but in the meantime, it was really bugging me.

ps. I know half of this didn't make sense..I'm pretty much falling asleeping writing this.

Thanks for your answers!

ETA: See the bolded word...my point exactly.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."

Last edited by court4short; 08-30-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by court4short View Post
Hey all,

Just your loveable PNM here I'm registering for recruitment online right now, and it asks to list legacy status. I remembered my Aunt was in a sorority in college, and in the form they consider it legacy status from your Aunt.

So, I asked her what sorority she was in. She told me "Sigma Iota Chi". This is the SECOND time she told me this..

I've been googling and found nothing called Sigma Iota Chi. I know it's definitely not an NPC sorority, obviously, which doesn't help me..but I'm just so puzzled. It's like it doesn't even exist.

I was thinking she maybe forgot the name of her GLO (YIKES) and maybe it was her chapter name? So I went to Widener U's website (where she went to college) and they have a Sigma Sigma Sigma chapter. I thought that's what she might have meant, Tri-Sigma, Iota Chi chapter or something..but it's like the Delta Xi chapter (that's probably not exactly it..but definitely not Iota Chi).

I'm so confused Has anyone heard of Sigma Iota Chi?
I used my google skills and came up with these items:
Literary Society (circa early 1900s)
Local at Pace University
Now Alpha Xi Delta at Rider University
Honor Society at St. Josephs
Sorority at Bryant College circa WWII
Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks VandalSquirrel....my google skills = fail.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It's hard to explain a sorority in a text message. Perhaps you should actually just call her or meet up with her or something if you're curious and want to know more?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks VandalSquirrel....my google skills = fail.
You can get all the same results by putting quotes around "sigma iota chi" and sorority after it.

A copy of Baird's will show you that it was a regional group in the South in the early 1900s.

Are you positive she joined at Widener? Maybe she went to a different school and transferred to Widener to graduate.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It's possible it was the Gamma Chi chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma. I have heard members refer to it as just Sigma. But Dani was right and maybe you should call her. A five minute conversation shouldn't be a problem I would think.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I blame my high school - we were NOT allowed to use Google for anything. But it's good to know the quote thing, because when you search something like Sigma Iota Chi, results come up for Iota Chi Sigma, etc. I'll do that now

I'm 100% sure she joined at Widener. I'll just have to ask her at the family reunion. She's nuts though, I might get the deer-in-headlights look

Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Psi U MC Vito -

I'm starting to believe it was a local now. I definitely don't think it was an NPC sorority, but thank you.

Also...it's hard to explain my relationship with my Aunt...but I think I'll just wait 'til Saturday, lol. I asked on here because I know there are tons of people on here from many different GLOs with bounds of knowledge. I'll ask my Aunt and I'll get "it was one of those service sorority things...where's my sun-in?!"

Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I blame my high school - we were NOT allowed to use Google for anything. But it's good to know the quote thing, because when you search something like Sigma Iota Chi, results come up for Iota Chi Sigma, etc. I'll do that now

I'm 100% sure she joined at Widener. I'll just have to ask her at the family reunion. She's nuts though, I might get the deer-in-headlights look
To be honest what I told you is not unique to Google, it is pretty much across databases (I use it for GIS, Geographic Information Systems and library searches), and derives somewhat from Boolean logic.

I suggest you take a trip to your campus library and ask one of the references librarians to give you a quick tutorial as knowing the shortcuts for searching in databases in immensely useful and will help you all throughout life.

***I can't believe I'm using crap I learned in logic class in college, and people think the Liberal Arts and Social Sciences are a waste of time, HA!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

At any rate, not many GLOs consider a niece a legacy anyway.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

VandalSquirrel,

I know it's for pretty much all databases..trust me, we had to pass a test on searching databases when I was a freshman. It was annoying..and I think you probably know how well I did, haha.

I've done some tutorials, but I have one of those "selective memories" when it comes to this stuff. I could do it a million times and never remember it...because my brain honestly doesn't care. Damn brain :-/

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
At any rate, not many GLOs consider a niece a legacy anyway.
I had thought so, but I guess my school wanted us to include it. It was a seperate form that said "Legacy Status", and Aunt was included on the drop down list. I don't think it really matters, my school isn't really competitive to my knowledge. I was just curious.