GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,187
0 members and 2,187 guests
No Members online

Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
TLLK -

Why do I have the feeling that SAE came home from work one day a few years later to find a bunny boiling in a pot on the stove?
YIKES!!! Still have chills about that famous scene.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

A vegan rush story

This story is from my daughter when she went through recruitment in Fall, 2014. That summer, I had decided to eliminate animal proteins from my diet, for health reasons and to see if I could do it. In the family, we call it my Vegan Summer. That fall, during sisterhood round, my daughters was being rushed by an active that mentioned she was vegetarian. My daughter said, that's awesome, my mom is vegan. The girl looked puzzled and asked how that works at our house. DD told her that it was okay, that even though I was vegan, I did cook meat for the rest of the family. The girl looks at her and says "But do you, like, have two Moms?" My daughter looked at her strangely, then the bell rings for her to leave, as she is leaving she realized the girl had confused "vegan" with "lesbian" She was laughing so hard she could barely pull it together for the next social. She was cut after that round. This house takes mostly St Louis girls, and she was from OOS, so she doesn't know if the lesbian thing had anything to do with it. As a women and gender studies minor, she didn't really want to join a chapter that would cut her because her mom was a lesbian, or that had sisters that didn't know the difference between vegan and lesbian!

I only lasted one summer as a vegan, I missed the cheese too much!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ That's a good one!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUalumMUmom View Post
This story is from my daughter when she went through recruitment in Fall, 2014. That summer, I had decided to eliminate animal proteins from my diet, for health reasons and to see if I could do it. In the family, we call it my Vegan Summer. That fall, during sisterhood round, my daughters was being rushed by an active that mentioned she was vegetarian. My daughter said, that's awesome, my mom is vegan. The girl looked puzzled and asked how that works at our house. DD told her that it was okay, that even though I was vegan, I did cook meat for the rest of the family. The girl looks at her and says "But do you, like, have two Moms?" My daughter looked at her strangely, then the bell rings for her to leave, as she is leaving she realized the girl had confused "vegan" with "lesbian" She was laughing so hard she could barely pull it together for the next social. She was cut after that round. This house takes mostly St Louis girls, and she was from OOS, so she doesn't know if the lesbian thing had anything to do with it. As a women and gender studies minor, she didn't really want to join a chapter that would cut her because her mom was a lesbian, or that had sisters that didn't know the difference between vegan and lesbian!

I only lasted one summer as a vegan, I missed the cheese too much!
Was the room loud? However, 'vegan' and 'lesbian' don't sound remotely similar. LOL Did she eventually find her home?

I'm a vegetarian and could never be vegan. Cheese and I have a special relationship.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

She did find her home. She is a very happy Theta, getting ready to graduate in May. I don't know for sure if the room was loud, but it probably was. I don't think they sound at all alike, and neither did my daughter, so it took her awhile to figure out why the active was asking such strange questions.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

A favorite! This is for all you PNMs---don't do any of this! Don't end up with a story about something bizarre that you did during recruitment!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A favorite! This is for all you PNMs---don't do any of this! Don't end up with a story about something bizarre that you did during recruitment!

But if you DO, please come here and post it. This is one of the best threads on this site, and I love seeing new stories.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping for new stories!

And I’ll add a short but weird one ...
My suite mate and I were at the same house for a party. (I had a rec from my aunt and several of the members had her as their high school drama teacher.) We were lead to a 4-seat table to talk. Two other members came over, then all 4 members turned toward Patti and no one was talking to me! (Patti was a highly desirable rushee - beautiful, smart, on the women’s golf team.) Patti tried to get me into the conversation, but the members continued the “hot boxing” and ignored me. After the party was over, we walked out together. I made some comment that I probably wouldn’t be getting an invite back. Patti said that even if she got an invite, she was going to turn it down because they were rude to me. (Back in the day when you got actual paper invites and could regret any extras above max # of parties for the next day.) She did turn down the invitation and ended up being my pledge sister in Chi O!
(After college, she was the ER nurse at the hospital where my brother was taken after a horrible work accident and helped save my brother’s life!)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Bumping for 2019!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

This isn't really "weird", but it does dovetail with the whole clueless PNM theme...

One of my friends and fellow rushees was ranking chapters low if she found out "they drank." Duh, every single panhellenic house on our campus had members that liked to party. The group she joined ended up having quite a few heavy drinkers, and the high school/church friend she had in the sorority - the girl who really pushed her hard to join the house before school started - never bothered to clue her in on the realities of Greek life. To make matters worse, that friend - whom I think became her big sis - ended up leaving the campus not too long after my buddy joined. So, the two main reasons why my pal chose her org essentially evaporated almost immediately.

Morals of the story - know your campus Greek culture and don't join a house for one person. My friend confided to me that she would have chosen her other pref group (which happened to be my chapter) or a Christian sorority had she known better. I was like, well, you would have been welcome with us...buuuut...we weren't exactly teetotalers either.

Oh well.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

So looking back on my rush - I went to a school with 6 NPC sororities. At my very first party I did not know what to expect. All of the "open house" parties were held in the University Center. I was shocked as the doors opened, and there was loud clapping and singing. Someone grabbed me my the arm, singing loudly, and ushered me to a chair. I was totally overwhelmed, because I was expected a booze free cocktail party. I was not expected crazed singing and someone kneeling in front of me to talk with me.

Now I wasn't the "stereotypical" rushee at my Texas college in the mid-80s. I was a math team, quiz bowl, theatre geek. I don't think I had overlapping activities with the girl that picked me up. So the girl that brought me in the door said "So you where a Thesbian - how did you like that."

Now i could not hear well, the room was LOUD.

Me: "Excuse me?"
Her: "So you where a Thesbian - how did you like that."
Me : Now I really was not hearing this right. She can't really be asking me if I am a Lesbian. "Excuse me?"
Her: "It says you were a Thesbian in High School"
Me: FINALLY realizing what she is saying. "Oh Thespian, it's pronounced THESPIAN not Thesbian."
Yeah - I did not get invited back (I got all invites back the next 3 rounds)

I was assistant reference chairman my Junior and Senior years - so I did not rush many girls after my Sophomore year.

But my strongest memory of my first time on the other side of rush was pref. We served a sherbet punch with mini quiche and petits fours. All pre-plated. I think our parties ran from 12:30 - 4pm. And we were busy getting ready in our matching blue taffeta dresses and did not eat lunch before hand. After the first party - which was very touching and emotional - I knew we had to hurry to clean up and get ready for the next. What I wasn't expecting to hear was - "She didn't touch this quiche - can I trade you for a petits four? Everyone seriously scarfed down the untouched leftovers.

My chapter celebrated its 15th year anniversary when I was there, and it's in a smaller town where many alumnae don't stay after college. So it did not have a huge number of local alums for support. Now that it has been around for a while - there is an organized recruitment meal "competition." The different decades (70s, 80s, 90s, etc) each pitch in to cater a day of chapter meals. Back in my day - if we got food - it was pizza.

Last edited by BlueBayou; 07-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Those stories really illustrate the realities of recruitment! Losing your voice because you have to yell to be heard, inadvertently offending someone which leads to a superficial/automatic rejection, food and sleep deprivation, etc., etc.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Having flashbacks to helping out with polish week and everyone ending up sick lol.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Well this was my first rush on the other end. I got a few. Thankfully, these were not conversations I had as mine were fine for the most part but these were from other sisters.

Sister A had a girl talking to her and go "oh I remembered when you were fatter." and this girl, who had worked hard to lose weight, was really shaken by the comments but to top this cake the girl was giving her even more weight lost tips after telling her this.

Another one was talking to a girl and asked "oh how would your friends describe you" and this girl goes "crazy, insane, funny" and in an attempt to further the convo she said "oh what is the craziest thing you've ever done" thinking it might lead to something like a PNM saying she went sky diving or something. The PNM goes "I can't legally tell you." I have no idea if this girl got a bid but that is the last thing you say to a sister rushing you!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 02-23-2020, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Sister A had a girl talking to her and go "oh I remembered when you were fatter." and this girl, who had worked hard to lose weight, was really shaken by the comments but to top this cake the girl was giving her even more weight lost tips after telling her this.
Oh dear.

Quote:
Another one was talking to a girl and asked "oh how would your friends describe you" and this girl goes "crazy, insane, funny" and in an attempt to further the convo she said "oh what is the craziest thing you've ever done" thinking it might lead to something like a PNM saying she went sky diving or something. The PNM goes "I can't legally tell you." I have no idea if this girl got a bid but that is the last thing you say to a sister rushing you!
Since I happen to be a peace officer, my next questions would have been, "Are you currently under supervision? Do you have any warrants?" LOL

True and Constant