GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,980
4 members and 1,976 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Paying for alcohol: do you, don't you, and getting around it.

Hey guys, I was just wondering what your particular chapter's policies are in regards to alcohol at social events? Obviously it's always there, but do you guys purchase it outright from the budget, use a slush fund, etc? Do you pick up bar tabs or have drink specials or do BYOB? Do you hide it as a "room reservation" fee or what? My own chapter has at various times done all these and I'm looking to see what others do.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

dude, you shouldn't be airing stuff like this on a public forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternSPE View Post
Hey guys, I was just wondering what your particular chapter's policies are in regards to alcohol at social events? Obviously it's always there, but do you guys purchase it outright from the budget, use a slush fund, etc? Do you pick up bar tabs or have drink specials or do BYOB? Do you hide it as a "room reservation" fee or what? My own chapter has at various times done all these and I'm looking to see what others do.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks!

So...wait. Maybe I'm confused. Did you just pretty much put your chapter out there as a chapter who disregards your Inter/National policies regarding alcohol? Boy, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Lets not act all shocked and innocent people. Almost every chapter everywhere bends, if not completely disregards, alcohol policy. It happens. I'm not saying its the right thing to do, and I'm certainly not saying you should talk about it on an internet message board, but there's no need to get sanctimonious.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't and I don't think als was. we were just shocked that he wpuld put somehting like that on a public message board. Or at least i was.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Your organization should have rules regarding alcohol (including who may buy it, how it should be funded, etc) in its risk management policies. Please refer to that and/or contact your (Inter)National Headquarters.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Everything we do is in conformity with local law, Sigma Nu rules and the university's alcohol policy.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Lets not act all shocked and innocent people. Almost every chapter everywhere bends, if not completely disregards, alcohol policy. It happens. I'm not saying its the right thing to do, and I'm certainly not saying you should talk about it on an internet message board, but there's no need to get sanctimonious.
Actually with my chapter, alcohol isn't allowed on the premise. It might be so strict because our campus is dry or that my chapter is just picky on that rule. Also all our events are dry, meaning no alcohol on location. What you do before hand is a different matter. If you turn up plastered you aren't allowed to go and have to be sober at the next event. You are tied to your date so if he shows up drunk then neither of you are allowed to go and he isn't allowed to return to another function. Oh and this is drunk meaning being sick or noticeably drunk.

We are actually having a social tomorrow so interesting topic to turn up right now.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 02-05-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
our campus is dry
Yikes.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually with my chapter, alcohol isn't allowed on the premise. It might be so strict because our campus is dry or that my chapter is just picky on that rule. Also all our events are dry, meaning no alcohol on location. What you do before hand is a different matter. If you turn up plastered you aren't allowed to go and have to be sober at the next event. You are tied to your date so if he shows up drunk then neither of you are allowed to go and he isn't allowed to return to another function. Oh and this is drunk meaning being sick or noticeably drunk.

We are actually having a social tomorrow so interesting topic to turn up right now.
No NPC sororities are "allowed" to have alcohol in the chapter houses and or official dwellings or spaces.

Last edited by agzg; 02-05-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Yikes.
All 14 state owned PA universities are dry. However, the Greek houses are not on campus so as far as that's concerned it's a moot point. "Dry campus" just means you don't have a bar on campus or can't have alcohol in your dorm room. Solution: move off campus ASAP. Plus a "wet campus" doesn't mean 18-20 year olds can drink.

Oh, and she said with her chapter. She didn't say that they can't go to a fraternity house or a sister's apartment off campus and get crocked. No offense, just calling a spade a spade.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
No NPC sororities are allowed to have alcohol in the chapter houses and or official dwellings or spaces.
But again...let's not kid ourselves.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
All 14 state owned PA universities are dry. However, the Greek houses are not on campus so as far as that's concerned it's a moot point. "Dry campus" just means you don't have a bar on campus or can't have alcohol in your dorm room. Solution: move off campus ASAP. Plus a "wet campus" doesn't mean 18-20 year olds can drink.

Oh, and she said with her chapter. She didn't say that they can't go to a fraternity house or a sister's apartment off campus and get crocked. No offense, just calling a spade a spade.
My campus allowed students who were of age to have alcohol in their dorms/apartments. I know that many Greek houses are dry, but I would cause a ruckus if I couldn't drink a beer in my dorm room if I wanted to.

That was the reason for my "yikes"

Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was referring to fraternities, I should have clarified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But again...let's not kid ourselves.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually we are not recognized by the university if our functions have any alcohol, even for those of age. This is not only for the sororities, but for the fraternities as well. There was a fraternity who went against this or didn't agree (before my time) and is not recognized by the university which means they are unable to use campus resources (money, meeting places, advertising etc) and we (we meaning other chapters) are not allowed to acknowledge or have functions with them. We can go to other places to drink but not any "live out" because that would be an extension of the sorority and therefore against rules.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot