GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,074
0 members and 1,074 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question "Wrap yourself slim" or Colonics--Has anyone tried this?

Wrap you slim: It is a process where they soak 'ace bandages' in an enzyme based solution then 'wrap you up'. The enzymes are supposed to promote detoxification of impurities and 'rearrange fat cells'. All of this is supposed to result in lost inches ranging from 6-20 inches in a 1 hour session. Session will cost $110.

Just curious if anyone else has done this? I am thinking about making an appointment, but I wonder which is more worthwhile, wrapping or getting a colonic in 'detoxing' to promote weightloss. All of this, of course, in tandem with a healthier diet and exercise.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never done this, but thought about it.

Where do you go to get it done?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella
All of this, of course, in tandem with a healthier diet and exercise.
PSA/

Stay away from fads and quick fixes. You won't need them if you are going to eat right and exercise, anyway.

Just do the eat right and exercise diligently thing. Unless you have a disorder or disease (which the average overweight and/or out of shape person DOESN'T), this will work for you. It may take longer to accomplish but it will last longer and you'll feel better for having worked for it. Invest that "colonics money" in a healthy lifestyle instead.

/end PSA

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 06-27-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always heard them referred to as "body wraps" and they are offered at the salon I go to (for massages). I asked my masseuse and she said that they really do work. It's not meant to be a quick fix for losing weight--it's merely a detox treatment. The solution ("mud") that the ace bandages are soaked in are agents that pull toxins out of your body in combination with the heat from the sauna-like thing they put you in. However, one of the side effects is shedding water weight and the breakdown of cellulite, so people often get them for that reason instead of the reason they were created for. Usually, the people who come in for them have a wedding to go to or are trying to make military requirements.

So I believe they do work and I'd like to try one (I trust my masseuse; if they didn't, I think she'd be honest with me) but be warned that the inches lost are total: i.e. 1 inch off each of you calves, .75 in off your waist and so forth. Despite what ads say, your loss can be minimal since that's not what it's meant for. Plus, you have to follow a special diet and drink lots of water afterward because, if you go back to unhealthy eating, the toxins will come back and the inches will, too. Oh, and shop around--the place I go to offers a 2 hour session for $100 so whatever place you looked at is way too high.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
However, one of the side effects is shedding water weight and the breakdown of cellulite, so people often get them for that reason instead of the reason they were created for. Usually, the people who come in for them have a wedding to go to or are trying to make military requirements.
Exactly.

Just like people who get their colon cleansed too much, which is unhealthy, because they think it helps them lose weight. There are also all sorts of parasite-based solutions that were invented as detoxers, or "cures" for certain diseases, but are being marketed and used to lose weight.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Just like people who get their colon cleansed too much, which is unhealthy, because they think it helps them lose weight. There are also all sorts of parasite-based solutions that were invented as detoxers, or "cures" for certain diseases, but are being marketed and used to lose weight.
First of all...ewww. No one is allowed in my colon but Jesus and I highly doubt I'd find him there.

Second, I say get the thing for what it does. If one thinks one needs to detox oneself, it sounds like a good way. But if it's weight we're trying to lose, find a different (and more effective) route then something that was invented for something else. If the loss of body matter is one side effect, then guess how many more there might be!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to admit. I did buy a package of colonics--ie 4 sessions for $245. I can see the benefits of the process in jump starting the 'reverse' cleaning process to help regulate your system. I did indeed feel better afterwards. There is something to be said about knowing that your system is 'clean' with less 'build up'. It may be a mental thing, but overall, I did feel better for several reasons.

Note...afterwards. The process was awfully uncomfortable...I never got over the weird feeling of how it is done. I won't be graphic, because I don't want to scare away anyone who may be considering the procedure. My therapist was extremely knowledge and was a sister. However, I just couldn't help but wonder; how in the WORLD did you get into THIS profession? I hated to see her number pop up on my cell phone calling to confirm my sessions. After the last one, I have not been back. I might go next year.

So far, wrapping is attractive since it is less invasive when talking about removing 'toxins'.

Last edited by Spinderella; 06-28-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. I had been considering this as a way to detox after learning about colon health at a holistic health fair put on by one of the AKA chapters in my area.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Per this clip, colonics are unnecessary at best and a scam at worst:

(Warning: this video is kinda graphic)

Colonics
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post
Per this clip, colonics are unnecessary at best and a scam at worst:

(Warning: this video is kinda graphic)

Colonics
I'm a colon cancer survivor. I had 4 colon preps in 3.5 weeks. To cleanse your colon, these preps are violent to say the least. With the stress of the 4 preps and the stress of being told I had rectal cancer, I lost a total of 3 pounds. There is not pounds and pounds of decaying stuff in your colon. Talk to a colo/rectal surgeon if you don't belive me. Colonics are a waste of time and money.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
Wrap you slim: It is a process where they soak 'ace bandages' in an enzyme based solution then 'wrap you up'. The enzymes are supposed to promote detoxification of impurities and 'rearrange fat cells'. All of this is supposed to result in lost inches ranging from 6-20 inches in a 1 hour session. Session will cost $110.

Just curious if anyone else has done this? I am thinking about making an appointment, but I wonder which is more worthwhile, wrapping or getting a colonic in 'detoxing' to promote weightloss. All of this, of course, in tandem with a healthier diet and exercise.
Colonics:

1. It's a myth that doing colonics "cleans out" toxins in your digestive system. Your liver is responsible for taking toxins out of your body, as are the good bacteria in your intestines.

2. Frequent "irrigation" can take away that good bacteria.

3. Even if the practice DID work, the liquid doesn't go up far enough into the digestive tract to reach anywhere but the first foot or so.

4. If you feel "impacted" or your stools are sluggish, colonics might help in the case of providing extra fluid in the final part of your colon, but otherwise (a la an enema), but bowel sluggishness is much better treated orally via proper hydration, eating a balanced diet with enough fiber (but not too much), good fats and protein, increasing your level of general activity, addressing medications that dehydrate you, etc. Enemas and the like should be last-resort in terms of fixing a slow bowel. There are some gentle medications (not harsh laxatives) that encourage a slow bowel - they work by adding more water to the GI system.

Enzyme Wrap: the "detoxing" your body is just pulling water out of it. I'm not sure what else besides water is supposed to come out of your skin by wearing a wrap.

Weight loss:

Any weight "lost" during those wraps or "cleanses" are only temporarily pulling excess water out of your system.

There is no secret formula to weight loss. It's a matter of calories in < calories spent.

Now, there are plenty of things that can disrupt your metabolism - sedentary work (sitting at a desk all day, like many professional jobs or driving all day), not keeping track of what you eat (most people tend to underestimate the number of calories they've eaten by about 20 percent!), age, hormones, stress, foods eaten, nutrient deficiencies, disease, ability to exercise, side effects from medications, etc.

And let me also say that it's not easy to lose weigh in the ultra convenience that life in the 21st century affords. Fast food is cheap and easy. Shopping weekly and using fresh food and produce is a huge time commitment and often a financial issue. Most of us work way too much and have too many other responsibility. Many have children, and some have sick family members they need to care for.

If you really want to lose weight, talk to your doctor, make an appointment with a nutritionist. Make yourself a priority - schedule some time to plan balanced meals, make appointments for you to do some activity (even 20 minute walk a few days per week is better than nothing!).

All of my suggestions come from years dealing with medical issues. I hope that I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, it's just that CF has kept me under constant medical care and having to learn a lot about the human body. Good luck.

PS Use that money to go to a spa for something that is relaxing and indulgent. Focus on your mental and emotional needs. Remember that if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of others.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

This is along the same lines as:

Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ lol!

This reminds me of an old story in our family. My great grandmother was known for her beautiful, thick red hair. Apparently, a hair tonic salesman wanted her to endorse his product and claim this was what she used to achieve her gorgeous hair, but she refused. There are many redheads in my family, so this story keeps getting passed on.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my best friends (a Gamma Phi Beta) has recently lost about 130 pounds. She has excess skin and usually wears spanx or something similar to keep everything in. She lost the weight the old fashioned way- diet and exercise. However, she did do a body wrap and said its helped tighten the excess skin and its definitely less noticeable on her arms (which is great since she can wear t-shirts without being self-conscious). I'm not sure what was in her wrap though- caffeine maybe? Or maybe the loss of water in the skin tissue? She had it done over a month ago and she still looks great. She figured it'd only be temporary until she saves up to get surgery. She's not new to that surgery game either- she had a breast reduction at 16 (she was like an M) but now she's a 36DD.

These things are never permanent, just like any form of weight loss that isn't ingrained or a habit. But she definitely feels more confident and we recently went shopping (she's so excited she can wear normal clothes in the regular stores).
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You can order these wraps off line at www.mswrapstarr.om