GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 881
0 members and 881 guests
No Members online

Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Call Com Grant Consulting...?

Has anyone ever heard of this company?

I recently got a phone call from them telling me that I was eligible for some gov't grant and that they were sending me the paperwork to get it....only there was a one time fee of XX amount.

I for one am extremely suspicious of phone calls like that, but I figure I might check around and see if anyone else has dealt with them or have heard anything about them.

I did look them up on the internet...but nothing about them came up, so that makes me even more leary of this offer.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Call Com Grant Consulting...?

Quote:
Originally posted by Coramoor
I did look them up on the internet...but nothing about them came up, so that makes me even more leary of this offer.
Just b/c you can't find them on the internet doesn't mean they're not legit. My company just launched our website on Monday.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
There was a warning in the KC paper today that many people in a local town are getting calls saying they qualify for a one time gov't grant---the company asks for personal info such as bank acct info, etc so you may receive the funds. The article goes on to say notify authorities if you get the call and do not give any info, its a scam. It didn't mention a company name--- I will try to run back to the break room and reread the article to see if there is additional info.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds VERY suspicious to me!!! Anything that involves a fee up front like that is probably a big scam!! If you're unsure you may want to contact your state's attorney general's office or related office. Unless someone else has a better idea?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphagam-alum
---the company asks for personal info such as bank acct info, etc so you may receive the funds..
You should NEVER give this kind of info over the phone if anyone calls you. If you called them first, then it's okay, but if they're contacting you, ask them to send you the paperwork so you can review it first. If it's legit, they'll be happy to accommodate.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitly didn't give them any info.

I told them straight out that I was suspicious of calls like this and would want to see the paperwork before I agreed to anything. Mysteriously when I mentioned that the phoneline got cut off and went dead...
Old 03-24-2005, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Call Com Grant Consulting...?

Quote:
Originally posted by Coramoor
Has anyone ever heard of this company?

I recently got a phone call from them telling me that I was eligible for some gov't grant and that they were sending me the paperwork to get it....only there was a one time fee of XX amount.

I for one am extremely suspicious of phone calls like that, but I figure I might check around and see if anyone else has dealt with them or have heard anything about them.

don't do it!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/scam_alerts/grant.html

Definitely report to your state's Attorney General; have any details handy - time of call, number, what the caller said...

Snopes is also very handy - http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/govgrant.asp

Regarding the government grant scam, keep these three points in mind:

* The U.S. Government does not telephone people to offer them grants.
* Grants are never guaranteed, nor are they issued for no apparent purpose, so folks should be downright suspicious of any talk of grants where the words "free" or "guarantee" are bandied about.
* Real government grants require extensive documentation with great attention to detail. There is nothing simple or painless about securing a government grant.

How To Avoid Falling Victim To Prepayment Scams:

* Above all else, have nothing to do with 'deal of a lifetime' offers that require payment in advance of fees. Do not fall in with schemes whereby you are required to prepay taxes on lottery winnings, or pay to have a prize shipped to you, or are to be charged a loan application fee. Do not pay someone for the privilege of working for them.
* With regard to 'free government grants' come-ons, disabuse yourself of the notion that the U.S. government is in the business of providing grants (aka free money) to whichever of its citizens have made it their habit to pay their taxes on time. (Rather, the U.S. government offers a disincentive to those who are tardy with their payments — it assesses penalties for deadlines missed and charges interest on the amounts overdue.)
* Stop believing in the chimera of "something for nothing."
Old 03-26-2005, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
My favorite are the phone calls at least twice a week from Nevada telling me I'm qualified for a college grant or something.

1. I'm graduating.
2. STOP CALLING MY DAMN CELL PHONE!

How do they even get cell numbers?

KLTC
Old 03-26-2005, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Lol. I figured as much.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
My favorite are the phone calls at least twice a week from Nevada telling me I'm qualified for a college grant or something.

1. I'm graduating.
2. STOP CALLING MY DAMN CELL PHONE!

How do they even get cell numbers?
i use to work for a telemarketing company and we got a prefix to call, local numbers here say 588 then we got a list, everyone got similar lists of numbers, they would start with 0000 so i would call 588-0000 then the next number would be 0001 so i would call 588-0001. They dont have to get your number from anywhere, it is just random and annoying.

all numbers are made up and if this is anyones real number i appologize and hope that no one would call up this number to see who's number it is.