GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,197
1 members and 1,196 guests
Low D Flat

Old 05-12-2000, 11:54 PM
Donna1

Question FAKE FRIEND

A college friend of mine transferred after her freshman year. I went to visit her at her new school about a month ago, and I found out that she is known around campus as the only AKA (since her new school, which is largely white, doesn't have a chapter). Now, here is my problem. She has told everyone that she crossed AKA at her previous school, the school we attended together, and I KNOW for a fact she did NOT. Should I allow her to keep on lying or just let it be known that she is not telling the truyth? Usually I wouldn't care, but she is telling girls that are interested in AKA, that she may start a chapter at the school, and is basically giving them false hopes in addition to false information. What would you do about this situation?
Old 05-13-2000, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I think I said this in another thread about a similar topic, but I just don't get why anyone would lie about being a member of a GLO that they are not. I wouldn't tell you all that I was a member of X University's women's lacrosse team when I'm not, or a member of any other society/organization that I'm not.

Anyways, here's my advice, for what it's worth...

It sounds like you are thinking in a positive way; you don't want to destroy your friend or her image, but you don't want her misleading other women, either. I suggest you talk to your friend first. Find out why she started telling people this in the first place? Maybe she really does want to brink an AKA chapter to her school, but wants some kind of control over it + figures that's a good way to get it (making everyone think she's already crossed AKA). Maybe it's just making her popular, who knows?!

After you find out why, tell her why you think it's a bad idea... misleading other women, getting up their hopes, etc. You may want to point out that if she were going to try and bring a chapter to her new school and nationals or anyone found out what she was doing, it could prevent her from actually having the opportunity to cross. I would also suggest you read the through this thread on Greek Chat

FAKE SOROS/FRATS

and let her know what she could be in for when people find out the truth (which I'm sure they will eventually).

Good luck..

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 05-15-2000, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Thumbs down

Just curious.... Have you talked to her about it? I don't understand her motives for doing this, but this young lady is definately destroying her future in greekdom as well as her credibility in all other aspects. Have you talked to her about it --what is motivating her to pretend she is something that she is not? I would warn her of the consequences because as the saying goes --- its a small world after all. Furthermore, I would distance myself away from her. Because when it all hits the fan, and it will, I would not want to be in any way affiliated with her dishonesty.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30
Old 05-15-2000, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I have heard of, and seen situations like this. At my school there were no Nupes on the yard when I got there. They had been kicked off. We had two guys that were in school there who perped as Nupes, and were later found out. They were delt with. If you value your friendship, I would tel this person to stop doing this immediately, and just lie low. Becuase now that it is out there, I am quite sure the lovely ladies of Pink & Green will find her out. And she will be delt with accordingly. Also, like someone else said, she risks her chances of ever becoming an AKA if found out. But just tell her to stop faking it.

Old 05-15-2000, 11:45 AM
Donna1

I found out the day I was to leave to go back to my university. She lives in a suite style apartment, so I didn't see her that morning until we were leaving for the train station. She had on this pink shirt with green sleeves, but I didn't make any connection since she was always a bit of a clothes horse.
Anyway, we went to the student union right before we went to the train station, and she was talkng to some girls while I waited in line to get some food. We joined the girls, and sat down. Then my friend left the table to use the rest room... I heard the following conversation:
Girl #1- Are you an AKA too?
Me- No, why are you?
Girl #1- No, I'm not. But I want to be. I can't wait until the chapter is started here.
Girl #2- Me either, I know I'll make line, J**** (my friend) is so cool to be an AKA. I just know she will let me cross. She said I'm what AKA looks for in a woman....

I was awe-struck!!! As the conversation went on, I learned of all the lies she had been telling about herself. And once we left the student union, I asked her about it (I waited so as not to embarrass her). She said it was nothing and changed the subject. Then once we got to the train station, as I was getting, she ran into these two guys, to which she greeted them with a hardy "Skeeee-Phiiiii". This was the last time I talked to her since we are both busy with school and finals. I was just wondering if I should say something or not.
Old 05-15-2000, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Angry

I understand you not wanting to "spray" up your friend, but my earlier advice stands. Plus, from the conversation that took place between you and the girls, it seems as though you are now associated with her, so her foolishness may have gotten you involved in something that you probably did not ask to be a part of from the beginning. Also, if anyone asks you if she is one, I would definately tell the truth. Trust me, word about this "lone" AKA will get out and she'll get caught on her own.
Old 05-15-2000, 01:28 PM
Asia2G

Question

How in the hell could you fake it anyway? Sure, I can put on pink and green, or crimson and cream, and throw up a sign and skee-wee/oo-oop, but there is sooo much stuff I just don't know. Shouldn't those alphas she skee-phiied to realize, immediately, that she is ignorant of a ton of greek-only secrets?

Aisa
Old 05-15-2000, 03:15 PM
ms. keshia

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Donna1:
A college friend of mine transferred after her freshman year. I went to visit her at her new school about a month ago, and I found out that she is known around campus as the only AKA (since her new school, which is largely white, doesn't have a chapter). Now, here is my problem. She has told everyone that she crossed AKA at her previous school, the school we attended together, and I KNOW for a fact she did NOT. Should I allow her to keep on lying or just let it be known that she is not telling the truyth? Usually I wouldn't care, but she is telling girls that are interested in AKA, that she may start a chapter at the school, and is basically giving them false hopes in addition to false information. What would you do about this situation?
I thing you should tell because those young ladies that she is leading on could be hurt if they can't become a part of the lovely ladies of Alpha kappa Alpha sorority inc.

Old 05-15-2000, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Wink

Asia,

It is extremely rare that sorority sisters would just sit around and openly dicuss sorority secrets. These gentleman wouldn't question her unless she said something that would make a red flag go up. Believe me, it's only a matter of time.

I don't see why people do this. It takes sooooo much more effort to try to keep this lie going than it would if she had gone about it the right way.

------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Old 05-15-2000, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

True, true. I remember chatting one day on the net and this alpha misunderstood and thought I said I was greek already (i said I was on my way). He immediately began talking in some language that I didn't not understand and I corrected him. There would've been no way for me to bluff my way out of that!

Keisha did make a good point. Aside from the consequences she will have to face herself, she is getting the hopes up of those girls around her and possibly involving them in something that might have damaging consequences for their future in greekdom. Not fair to them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Serenity:
Asia,

It is extremely rare that sorority sisters would just sit around and openly dicuss sorority secrets. These gentleman wouldn't question her unless she said something that would make a red flag go up. Believe me, it's only a matter of time.

I don't see why people do this. It takes sooooo much more effort to try to keep this lie going than it would if she had gone about it the right way.

Old 05-15-2000, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

You should tell her about herself and if you are really friends than you should remain friends even after you bring her back to reality because I am sure she would rather a friend put her in her place rather than a real AKA think about it

------------------
Sassy Six
Old 05-17-2000, 12:20 AM

Exclamation

The more I read these posts the more I cannot believe how much BALLS this chick has!! (and I don't mean that in a good way!)

I would think if AKA is so inclined, they could sue the crap out of her for misrepresentation, especially if she is trying to start a chapter under false pretenses.
Old 05-16-2000, 01:21 PM
Maxie

How is it that she hasn't got caught yet? That kind of thing doesnt stay a secret for too long.I think somebody will be transfering schools AGAIN pretty soon.
Old 05-16-2000, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
This whole situation is like WHOA! It's a shame the people feel the need to perpetrate. The worst part is that she is giving false hope to women who are interested.

Maxie-If she goes to a secluded predominately white school and there are NO AKAs on the campus, that is probably the reason why she hasn't been caught yet. There is no one there that knows that she is faking. There's no one there to challenge her about the whole situation. She will get caught eventually though. It's just a matter of time.
Old 05-16-2000, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everyone else. If you really are her friend, then I think you should let her know that she is headed for trouble. I would not dare jepordize my chance to become a part of any sorority. Whoever she is, it will catch up with her soon.
Quote:
Originally posted by Donna1: