GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,514
0 members and 1,514 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2005, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
Used Goods and Clothing

i am not talking about your boyfriends/girfriends. but, how many of you are fans of used goods (cars, clothes, etc)? do you have to have brand new things?

i have to admit that i own clothes from thrifts and trading stores. some of them look new and in better condition than the new ones. i also drive a used car.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
i've started getting a great deal of my clothing from this shop called unique - it a thrift shop - and it's great

it's hard to find a good thrift shop though

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I've found some decent Express items from a consignment store called Crossroads in Sacramento.

I've tried to sell my stuff there but they are super picky about what they take in. However I see a lot of crap hanging all over the place too.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I like clothes from thrift stores--they're cheap, and I can sometimes find some really cool things (it's hard to find stuff that suits my taste in most retail stores). However, I'm really anal about washing everything I buy in thrift stores twice before I wear it...wait, I do that with stuff I buy new, too. You never know!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
I have a black 1999 GMC Sierra 4x4 single cab that I bought for $8,000. I don’t think there is anything wrong with buying a used car considering how much a new one depreciates in value. You just have to have a basic automotive knowledge or at least be able to research the vehicle your buying, so you know what problems you need to look for. Personally I love my truck and I hope to have if for a minimum of another 150,000 miles.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs up

I am a big fan of consignment/resale and thrift stores. If not for those type of stores, I wouldn't have the wardrobe that I have. Generally speaking, I get my stuff from stores in affluent neighborhoods. The prices aren't rock bottom, but they're much better than retail.
I also tend to buy used books.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I like clothes from thrift stores--they're cheap, and I can sometimes find some really cool things (it's hard to find stuff that suits my taste in most retail stores). However, I'm really anal about washing everything I buy in thrift stores twice before I wear it...wait, I do that with stuff I buy new, too. You never know!
oh - i wash my hands when i leave the place and don't put it on til it's been washed, then dry cleaned.

unique is louisville is an awesome shop if ever you are there - it's off, gasp, preston highway.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 07-15-2005, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't buy stuff from thrift shops, but I do donate alot especially to the Salvation Army and another one that supports a battered women and abused children shelter. We accumulate so much stuff at my house that is no longer needed from toys the kids don't play with to clothes they've grown out of.

I also lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and donated all my big clothes. I didn't want them in my closet for a "safety net". If I ever regain then I'd have to shop and since I don't want to spend money on that, I'm hoping it would give my motivation a kick start to get back on the diet track. There was nothing wrong with these clothes, rather stylish I might add, they just didn't fit any more.

I don't have the time, energy or interest in holding yard sales and know this helps out a good cause. I would never donate something that was broken or trashed, only things that we simply no longer need or use. Plus the tax write off is a nice bonus.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
We have a thrift "chain" called Value Village. The one offa Route 198 in Laurel is GREAT! They have allllllllll kinds of stuff. I once found this REALLY nice blue and gold picture frame, metal, really heavy with little "diamonds". It looked expensive, but was only $6 (EASILY $20-30+ at a real store).

One thing that disturbed me....they were selling PANTIES. They had them hung up individually on hangers. I'm sorry, I'm not wearing used drawls, especially these days. If I can't afford anything else, I'll buy some underwear. I don't even like to buy loose underwear (in a bin), people been running their hands all over them and what not. Eww.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BirthaBlue4
We have a thrift "chain" called Value Village. The one offa Route 198 in Laurel is GREAT! They have allllllllll kinds of stuff. I once found this REALLY nice blue and gold picture frame, metal, really heavy with little "diamonds". It looked expensive, but was only $6 (EASILY $20-30+ at a real store).

One thing that disturbed me....they were selling PANTIES. They had them hung up individually on hangers. I'm sorry, I'm not wearing used drawls, especially these days. If I can't afford anything else, I'll buy some underwear. I don't even like to buy loose underwear (in a bin), people been running their hands all over them and what not. Eww.
It's so funny that you mention this place, I went to it just yesterday for the first time. A friend was in RI from DC and wanted to check out the one there, although it went by the name Savers (but the same company). It was very well organized, but I didn't find much. Just an Express shirt from a few years ago that I have in other colors and a great yellow knit sweater from the Gap or Old Navy, I forget.

I was totally skeeved out by the underwear too, although it was all hanging in this store, so it was a little better.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

The big fad here among teenagers is buying your T-shirts at the Salvation Army. No clue why.

I have found some super buys there, though--we use a lot of picture frames and you can get them there for less than 50 cents!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by BirthaBlue4

Value Village is also in Canada and I've been able to find some good stuff occasionally. There's also a lot of crap.

I was introduced to a great thrift shop in Sauble Beach called The Patch. They had second hand clothes, a lot that looked brand news, and they also sold some really cool jewlery (not second hand). I'm really regretting not buying a skirt I saw in their now.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:54 AM
cutiepatootie

There is a place in glendora run by am vets and glendora ppl are well to do so you find some good stuff there especially name brand barely used clothes and a lot of waverely products

other good ones are run y the jr league too
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I buy used books all the time...either from eBay or used book stores. Goodwill is also a good source of used books.

I have quite a few preowned bags too. Almost all the Vera Bradley things I have are from eBay. Some were new with tags, some gently used...all at a significant savings. Best deal there was a Metropolitan (very gently used), pocket wallet and coin purse all for $49 including shipping. (The bag alone goes for $76 retail!)

Preowned underwear though...no thanks. That's one-owner stuff for me! When I was at Copley, I took an ad from someone who was selling used bras. It was all I could do not to laugh.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
^^
Quite a few of my handbags are pre-owned. My Gucci and Prada are pre-owned, and I got them at ridiculous prices because they were "as is." All they needed was a bit of cleaning and polishing at the repair shop.
Then again, some La Jolla/Newport Beach person's junk is my treasure.