GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 878
0 members and 878 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for all the kind words everyone!

I have just come back from checking out a few clubs on campus and Alpha Phi! I am really excited to find out more about the colonizing process, I think this may be what I was meant to do.

Also, I have a friend who was offered a snap bid but turned it down, she's freaking out because she wants to try Alpha Phi with me but doesn't know if the bid is binding like a regular one. Any input on this would be great thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM at FSU View Post
Also, I have a friend who was offered a snap bid but turned it down, she's freaking out because she wants to try Alpha Phi with me but doesn't know if the bid is binding like a regular one. Any input on this would be great thanks!
If she did not write this sorority down on her bid card at the end of rush, the bid is not binding. If she did, it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok she withdrew during the philanthropy round so that's good to hear! Thanks, I'll pass along the message
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

good luck pnm at fsu, to you and your friend as your explore opportunities with alpha phi!
please let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't forget about us on GC! We are dying to know what happens with Alpha Phi!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

So I'm definitely still going for Alpha Phi, but I had a couple questions about COB..if anyone could answer them it would be much appreciated.

So at FSU, if a sorority has to go through COB then they look at the withdraw list for people they want to invite back. I know that most of these bidding events are not made public and its mostly those who are friends with people in the sorority that are invited and made aware that COB is going on.

I still want to keep that option open in case Alpha Phi does not work out, so what should I do? Should I email the recruitment chair or president to let them know I'm interested, or just try and get to know girls in the sorority? That second one is kinda hard because they all disappear from the dorm to go hang out with their sisters at all hours (it makes sense, why make friends when you instantly have 150+) and all the friends I had previous to this are gone too for the same reason...

Any thoughts on what I should do?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a couple of things you can do if you haven't already. Let Greek Life know that you are interested in COB. I don't see anything wrong with e-mailing the recruitment chair and letting her know you would be interested in getting to know them better. Continue to keep your options open with Alpha Phi too. Good luck to you.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

When I did open recruitment I contacted the recruitment chair, who passed on the information. Facebook is GREAT for that You should also register your interest with your Greek Life office.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
At FSU the COB events usually take place in the Spring. I believe every house is now at total and I think everyone made quota, so noone will have slots available for COB right now. I'd call the Greek Life Office and ask them about COB registration.

I'd say your best opportunity, however, is to investigate Alpha Phi. I'd take some time to tweak/primp your resume, visit with their campus representatives and attend their open events.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM

I thought you said "pimp your resume." LOL
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I thought you said "pimp your resume." LOL
My favorite is when they put the 15 inch monitors on it with a video playing about how awesome the candidate is.

Or when they attach a fully-functional gas grill to it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if a bid from a colony chapter is binding for a year like a regular one?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM at FSU View Post
Does anyone know if a bid from a colony chapter is binding for a year like a regular one?
One of my friends joined a colony in spring (like around March) and dropped out a month later and then was allowed to re-rush in the fall. So I would say no - but double check with the Greek life office first.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it was brought up fairly recently here that COB or a recruitment year ends when the next year's starts. So probably if she pledged a colony in the fall and then dropped, she couldn't informal in the spring. But again, your Greek life office is the only opinion that counts.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think it was brought up fairly recently here that COB or a recruitment year ends when the next year's starts. So probably if she pledged a colony in the fall and then dropped, she couldn't informal in the spring. But again, your Greek life office is the only opinion that counts.
Well no, that isn't the same thing, because the colony isn't a chapter yet. It can pull up stakes and leave at any time with no consequence before it charters. Therefore, it can't "bind" women to it in the same way.