GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,414
0 members and 1,414 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

The idea of the New Member pin as a guard is terribly interesting, but I'm fairly certain that I'm allergic to CZ.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
The idea of the New Member pin as a guard is terribly interesting, but I'm fairly certain that I'm allergic to CZ.
Bwahahahaha! Diamond snob!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbear View Post
When Phi Mu celebrated our 150th in 2002, we had a dangle made in the shape of our badge that said "150" on it; perhaps something like that could be done for you as well. We also had a badge guard made that exactly matched the dangle.

One more idea--incorporate your colors!! Use stones in your fraternity colors (alternating, perhaps) to adorn the Phi. Only you know what your colors represent, and that's a special way to bring that meaning to your badge.
Oooh do you happen to have a photo of that dangle? That sounds really cool and might actually be a good option for us.

Also - being that our colors and violet & gold, and my birthstone is amethyst, I personally wouldn't mind having something in our colors.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Bwahahahaha! Diamond snob!
True...!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a suggestion, but maybe amethyst and yellow topaz on maybe a white gold badge?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
... I'm fairly certain that I'm allergic to CZ.
I think I have that allergy as well. Unfortunately for me though, my wallet seems to be allergic to diamonds.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Those of you with CZ allergies will love this Pi Beta Phi arrow from 1947 - all diamonds! My jaw literally hit the desk when I saw it!

The chain is still attached, the seller tucked it under the shaft for the photo for whatever reason.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I believe that AXO does this.
Yes- sort of. We do keep our new member pin after our initiation, and wear it with our badges. Of course, one can wear just her badge and not her new member pin, but my chapter usually wears both. Since our new member pin is a stick pin, it functions similarly to Tri-Delta's trident. Most members don't have a chain attaching the two though...

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
Oooh do you happen to have a photo of that dangle? That sounds really cool and might actually be a good option for us.

Also - being that our colors and violet & gold, and my birthstone is amethyst, I personally wouldn't mind having something in our colors.
The dangle is pictured in this post, both on my mom's badge as well as mine. There's also a special pin there for our 150th, but it didn't take the place of the badge or anything. We also had yellow and white gold twisted rope bracelets with that same 150th dangle hanging from them. I have one, but it broke, and I don't honestly know where it is at the moment to take a picture.

Also pictured in this post is a close-up of the special pin we had made, as well as the commemorative necklace. The necklace is just the outline of our badge, with 28 stones instead of the standard 24 (Phi Mu badges had 28 stones until somewhere between '55-early '60s). There was also a badge to match the necklace, but I didn't purchase that (I figured I'd wear a necklace more often, and I was right). We also introduced the rose sapphire as a stone option for badges in our sesquicentennial year; I'm not sure why it took us so long.

I hope those might give you some more ideas!
Macon Magnolias
Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
I love the NM pin as a guard too! I would LOVE to have that, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Question to the masses: Does anyone else use their NM pin as a guard in any way?
I've never heard of a Phi Mu doing that, but I certainly like the idea! Okay, so now I want to have a Phi pin guard, a chapter guard, AND a coat-of-arms guard... sounds like I'll be wearing tons of armor or something.

Must check with EO to see if a Phi pin guard is permissible.....
Macon Magnolias
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Just popping through before I head to bed...found this through mutual friends on facebook!

Original Chi Omega pin

Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingstars View Post
Just popping through before I head to bed...found this through mutual friends on facebook!

Original Chi Omega pin

I don't know why it jumped out at me in this picture, and not in other pictures of Chi Omega badges, but the placement of the Chi on the Omega gives the suggestion of an owl in the badge. Not a coincidence, I'm sure.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
I don't know why it jumped out at me in this picture, and not in other pictures of Chi Omega badges, but the placement of the Chi on the Omega gives the suggestion of an owl in the badge. Not a coincidence, I'm sure.
I thought the same thing!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

First thing I saw was how elongated the legs of the Omega are. Then I thought of a skull. Now I see an owl. This badge is beautiful; thank you for sharing it. The founders' badges are just amazing.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I'm way behind- blame the nasty migraine that decided to visit.

SilverTurtle- Based on everything you've said and the look of your badges, I would lean toward an amethyst beta on gold. Then you have both your violet and gold represented, and I think it'd be truly stunning. I love the look of your pearl Phi badge and the way the gold encompasses the pearls- I think it would carry the amethysts very well. Alternately, what other symbols do you have? You could incorporate an element of your coat of arms, flower, symbol, animal, etc as well.

I think Delta Tau Delta did a phenomenal job with their anniversary badge (here)- they encompassed their badge within the design so it's a bit of the standard, but very different and unique. You can tell it is for a special occassion! So if you have perhaps a coat of arms outline that would be a good base for your badge, or something else as I noted above- that could be a great option. Or maybe both! Have some sort of "base" that houses your normal badge, but use amethysts instead of pearls.

seeingstars- WOW! That ChiO badge is stunning. How have we not seen that before?? Love it.

Gusteau- serious bling. Maybe it's just the lighting/picture, but the diamonds almost have a violet brilliance to them. Just wow.

Low C Sharp & Smile Awhile- very cool! The nm pin wasn't always a stickpin, so I wonder if that is one reason it was changed?