GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,859
0 members and 1,859 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Does the percentages receiving a bid count from how many signed pref cards or how many signed up in total? Is that number counting the women who drop or are released before pref?
The percentages receiving a bid count from how many attended the first round (though I notice some numbers may be off by a few). This number does count PNMs who withdrew or were released before pref.

In other words, 91% of the PNMs who attended Open House received a bid. The 17 who did not receive a bid following pref did not maximize their options.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2015, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

One other stat of potential interest that I didn't see reflected in either of the other tables is that a total of 97 upperclassmen matched in 2014 Formal Recruitment. Upperclassmen matched to 15 of the 16 chapters participating in formal recruitment, and number of upperclassmen per chapter ranged from 2 to 10.

(didn't see a reason to post entire table for just ^that)
Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I was looking at the table above, and thinking about all of the times we have PNMs coming here worried about being from out of state, and if that affects their chances of getting a bid when competing against In State girls. According to the table, there were 599 In State PNMs (with 94% placement rate) and 1677 Out of State PNMs (with 89% placement rate).

While certain sororities may have greater percentages of In State students, I would guess that if an OOS PNM keeps an open mind, that status will not significantly affect getting a bid.

Also, it looks as if a larger percentage of the Out of State females sign up for Recruitment than In State females. I wonder why more of the In State girls are not signing up?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

"While certain sororities may have greater percentages of In State students, I would guess that if an OOS PNM keeps an open mind, that status will not significantly affect getting a bid."

I think the "certain sororities" part often is just the problem with so many OOS PNMs going through recruitment at so many schools. Because often the most popular, "cool" in the minds of many (as a matter-of-fact, not an endorsement at all) sororities have the largest percentage of In State students, so many PNMs, OOS and otherwise, feel they should get a bid from one of those sororities or no sororities. And if they don't get a bid from one of those sororities, they often feel that ISS have an unfair edge. I think the biggest key towards helping so many OOS overcome the phobia they have about getting a bid may be to help get them to think that all sororities are great to get a bid from. Realistically, that is easier said than done with so many. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying! Just my un-expert take.

Last edited by magnoliacurious; 07-31-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
One other stat of potential interest that I didn't see reflected in either of the other tables is that a total of 97 upperclassmen matched in 2014 Formal Recruitment. Upperclassmen matched to 15 of the 16 chapters participating in formal recruitment, and number of upperclassmen per chapter ranged from 2 to 10.

(didn't see a reason to post entire table for just ^that)
Does upperclassmen mean sophomores and above or juniors and above in this instance?
Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomores and above at Alabama
Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

RFM is about 10 years old....I think....
Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I also notice from the first graphic that the percentage of women withdrawing is going down significantly, even as the number rushing goes up. Can we attribute that to RFM? Which year was it first used?
I am going to hazard a guess as to why the withdrawal numbers are getting lower. 1. More OOS students going through recruitment who don't know/care about Old Row and New Row or reputations in general. These girls are less likely to drop based on reputations. 2. The chapters are becoming more equal due to a combination of RFM and OOS state students, so there is less disparity between the "top" chapters and the "bottom" chapters. 3. The reputation of just how brutal recruitment is at Bama is well known. Women know the likelihood of a successful sophomore re-recruitment is slim to none. So as Tim Gunn would say they are making it work.

I am not an expert on SEC recruitment, but I think these three reasons are a pretty good start on why the number of withdrawals is going down.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
I was looking at the table above, and thinking about all of the times we have PNMs coming here worried about being from out of state, and if that affects their chances of getting a bid when competing against In State girls. According to the table, there were 599 In State PNMs (with 94% placement rate) and 1677 Out of State PNMs (with 89% placement rate).

While certain sororities may have greater percentages of In State students, I would guess that if an OOS PNM keeps an open mind, that status will not significantly affect getting a bid.
I think that should be the takeaway -- the numbers look VERY favorable to freshmen OOS PNMs. Withdrawing with plans to rush later looks very UNfavorable for any PNM.

Even sororities that have historically been in-state strongholds have a majority of OOS new members. Here is a thread on the topic from 2 years ago with the numbers by chapter (and a good piece of advice for OOS PNMs):

Out of State? You CAN have a successful recruitment at Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
Also, it looks as if a larger percentage of the Out of State females sign up for Recruitment than In State females. I wonder why more of the In State girls are not signing up?
Just a guess -- cost, among other factors. The in-state enrollment has not really been increasing. Many in-state females may be attending because they need or want to attend an in-state school, while many OOS females may be drawn to Greek life as part of the big SEC campus atmosphere, especially if attending a school in their state with a similar atmosphere doesn't look promising. Not to mention that many of the OOS students are arriving with scholarships.

Article from last September:

Alabamians now a minority at UA

Quote:
Rachel Adkins, a sophomore from San Francisco majoring in economics and international relations, said she came to Alabama because she wanted to experience the South.

“I think a lot of girls I know are looking at sorority life, and everybody looks at Alabama as this crazy, amazing sorority place,” she said. “I think that’s why a lot of girls are interested.”

While many of her friends decided to stay in California and go to school in the UC System, the steep price tag – a year at UC-Berkeley can cost $32,168, according to their admissions website – pushed her towards The University of Alabama and its scholarship offer.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The first few recs I wrote for Alabama, over the past 3 years, were all for very high achieving, 32+ ACT score PNMs who were merit scholarship recipients...their strengths definitely were in academics, and they received bids. This year, I've written 3 times as many, for much more "average" academic PNMs, but they are all very attractive and seem to be drawn to the southern sorority experience. They're not receiving big scholarships. I'm curious to see how the trend continues, because I've gone from no rec writing to a few recs for high achievers, to a snowballing of requests -- to the point where our APH finally got involved this year and actually divvied out rec requests and actively sought to find alumnae from unrepresented groups.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
RFM is about 10 years old....I think....
Yep. Most universities made the switch in 2005/2006. Mine did it my senior year (2006.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Just saw some photos of the brand spanking new GPhiB house. Spectacular!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I'm probably biased but it's gorgeous! Completely blew me out of the water when I saw it in person yesterday for the first time. I've seen the sketches but being there just - wow. I'm so proud to be a Gphi.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Link please? As. Someone who didn't have a house I love seeing them!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

It was on a friend's FB acct.