GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,417
3 members and 2,414 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, y'all! I'm not much of a shimmery/glittery person (nor is Mr. honeychile - think Deadhead!), so I'm loving the matte browns.

I completely realize that I may never find the exact color I'd like, but it would be somewhere between the Wanderer and the Dreamer shades on the Tarte's Amazonian Clay Matte Palette.

When I go to makeup counters, the cosmetologists usually try to put purple or green eye shadow on me! They supposedly bring out my hazel eyes, but I feel like a clown with colors like that! Some people can pull it off, but not me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2015, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Add me to the "so over shimmery eyeshadow" group. But I also am highly sensitive to high shadows in general. When a little bit drifts off and falls into my eye, it reacts like crazy and then I spend three days with red goopy eyes. Someone recommended Lancome and I've never had a reaction to it, thank goodness!

I really like these matte brown palettes, though. Are there any sensitive-eye people like me on here who have tried these brands?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Ohhhh, this is my time to shine!

I'll also vouch for the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette. I have both and I'm a big fan! I don't have the particular Too Faced palette mentioned here, but have another one of theirs and the shadows are also fantastic.

Lorac also just realized a neutral Matte palette with lots of browns. I'd link to it but ok on my cell. It's under $30 I believe and only available at Ulta

I'd also like to mention Inglot. They are available at select department stores in major cities (check out their website) OR at Beautylish.com. They have fantastic pigmentation and have very customizable products. They have this thing called the freedom system and basically you buy the pan container you want (2 pans vs 4 vs 10...etc) and then pick out whatever colors you want. The colors come separate and then you just drop the shadows in the container you bought.

Each color is I think $8 and then depending on the size of pan container, you will have that cost as well. I think my custome 4 color palette was about $45. A little pricey for 4 shades but the pans are enormous and will last you.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Also forgot to mention 2 things: that Inglot has like 200+ colors available so you should be able to find what you're looking for.

And I have read not great reviews on the Tarte Tartelette palette mentioned previously.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I've started a new job, and will be conducting workshops/training sessions to professionals in different parts of the country. It's time to update my makeup look, but I'm not sure where to go for professional advice. I want to look professional, poised, confident- and certainly not overdone.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2015, 12:56 AM

Bobbi Brown & Clinique are both on the more conservative end of the spectrum. Run like the wind away from MAC. If you just want to watch a tutorial or two on YouTube, look up Lisa Eldridge.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks about the tip about MAC. There's an Ulta nearby that I may check out, too.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ulta has their 20% off coupon right now (I live for those): See if this code works online 305820 I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's a Labor Day sale thing.

What gel polishes do you like the best? I really like Gelish and Red Carpet Manicure (I think they are the same company but marketed differently). I was introduced to gel manis when my sister got married in 2011 and had my nails done. Was mega impressed and bought my own stuff and still occasionally go to the salon. Just did mine in Paparazzied by RCM. Feeling girly lately.
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...pprod12781007#

Last edited by jolene; 09-01-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I thought about going to my local Ulta, but I haven't been impressed with their level of knowledge of makeup. When I went in for tips on using highlighting/face sculpting makeup, they handed me a brightening stick and sent me on my way. I did watch a YouTube video on how to use the stick, and that was helpful.

I thought that going to the makeup counter at a department store in the mall might get better results. We have the standard mall stores (Dillard, Neiman Marcus, Macy's), so I was hoping that one of their makeup counters would be able to show me what I should wear and how to wear it. I want to make sure I don't look overdone, like a clown, or weird. And no glitter!!!

I'll see if one of them has a Bobbie Brown counter. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
I thought about going to my local Ulta, but I haven't been impressed with their level of knowledge of makeup. When I went in for tips on using highlighting/face sculpting makeup, they handed me a brightening stick and sent me on my way. I did watch a YouTube video on how to use the stick, and that was helpful.

I thought that going to the makeup counter at a department store in the mall might get better results. We have the standard mall stores (Dillard, Neiman Marcus, Macy's), so I was hoping that one of their makeup counters would be able to show me what I should wear and how to wear it. I want to make sure I don't look overdone, like a clown, or weird. And no glitter!!!

I'll see if one of them has a Bobbie Brown counter. Thanks for the tip!
As far as YT tutorials, Stephanie Lange and Kandee Johnson are among my favs.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 PM

I'm sure there are some women who work at Ulta who are amazing makeup artists, but that's really not what they do. They have so much to sell with the hair care, skin care, and all the drugstore brands that it would be impossible for them to have a good grasp of everything. Occasionally they do have brand ambassadors in the store, but these are as you might guess geared to a particular brand. They often have a woman from Benefit in there, and I have reached my limit with their products - there are more gimmicky than actually working. A department store makeup counter is probably your best bet, but try and go on a weekday afternoon or evening - not during lunch hours and not on the weekend.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:42 AM

Speaking of Ulta, double post....

Has anyone tried anything from Makeup Revolution? They're a British brand that makes duplicates / knockoffs of popular high end palettes like Urban Decay Naked, Too Faced etc but they're super cheap, and supposedly quite good quality for the price. Ulta has them for sale on their website, but they are only in a few brick and mortar stores and none by me. I hate to buy makeup when I have nothing to go on but online reviews and can't see it myself. Everyone has a different idea of quality and online reviews/blogs have gotten to the point where it's hard to know who to trust anymore, what with all the freebies and sponsored posts.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm sure there are some women who work at Ulta who are amazing makeup artists, but that's really not what they do. They have so much to sell with the hair care, skin care, and all the drugstore brands that it would be impossible for them to have a good grasp of everything. Occasionally they do have brand ambassadors in the store, but these are as you might guess geared to a particular brand. They often have a woman from Benefit in there, and I have reached my limit with their products - there are more gimmicky than actually working. A department store makeup counter is probably your best bet, but try and go on a weekday afternoon or evening - not during lunch hours and not on the weekend.
I tend to limit my Ulta purchases to sale periods and restocking things that I already have and like. It's not the place to try new looks.

Also, I thought I was the only person who thought Benefit was so gimmicky.

My recommendation is to go to sephora. Tell them what you're looking for (a fresh professional look). They won't be committed to doing everything in one brand. The catch is that you have to buy $50 worth of product (I think)--but if you're looking for a new makeup style then that might not be that much.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I adore Benefit. I think their packaging is designed to appeal to a different age group than me, but think they have some wonderful products. I swear by They're Real mascara. Hoola is by far the best bronzer I have ever tried on my fair skin. The Boi-ing concealer is perfect for red blemish scars. Any Oxygen wow is my second favorite foundation (behind makeup forever ultra HD) and the one I use the most when it's really humid and sticky out. I've tried a few Benefit products that I wouldn't buy again, but the ones I mentioned are all repeat purchases for me. (Except Hoola, which lasts forever so I haven't needed to buy a new one yet.)

I'm going to try their new air patrol eye primer soon. The Kat Von D primer I have is great, but too yellow for fair skin. Urban Decay's is good, but I like trying new products.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, anyone looking for new lip colors should try Bite Beauty. It's my new obsession. Have tried several products an haven't found one I haven't loved! Waiting on this month's lip lab limited release to be delivered and cannot wait!!!