GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534

Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Can sororities check a PNAI panhellenic background?

I am curious about something...

I know I have read on here where a women pledges ABC during college but ends up having to drop and then becomes an AI of XYZ. My question is how does XYZ feel about this....especially if they were originally on the AI's campus in college.

Also has someone who was initiated into a group and then later dropped ever done AI with another group? How can a group check and see? I think AI is great but sometimes I wonder if people can slip through the cracks, but I guess the same thing could happen if a collegiate pledged XYZ at one school and then transfered and rushed again to pledge ABC. Does this ever happen or am I just playing devil's adovacate?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF56
I am curious about something...

I know I have read on here where a women pledges ABC during college but ends up having to drop and then becomes an AI of XYZ. My question is how does XYZ feel about this....especially if they were originally on the AI's campus in college.

Also has someone who was initiated into a group and then later dropped ever done AI with another group? How can a group check and see? I think AI is great but sometimes I wonder if people can slip through the cracks, but I guess the same thing could happen if a collegiate pledged XYZ at one school and then transfered and rushed again to pledge ABC. Does this ever happen or am I just playing devil's adovacate?
I think there are posters on here who've done just that (pledged one group, dropped them, then AI'd into another later on). I can't remember specifically who they are though!

On a slightly different note, I was fortunate to have had a good rush and I was lucky that I always had the maximum number of parties/events to attend each day, including Preference. But I only considered Tri Delta for AI. The other house I preferenced at was great and I really liked the women there at the time, but it wasn't quite home. Had I joined Tri Delta as an undergrad, would I have worried about what the other house I preferenced at felt about it? Or the other groups I had considered? Probably at first, but eventually life moves on and people forget that you didn't join their house - at least I hope! I'm sure the members who were initiated as undergrads could shed more light on this, whether or not there were hard feelings or not.

Ladies?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. As for those who have been initiated or are otherwise questionable, Aries has that secret members-only database.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising
Well, I don't see pledging one group as a tie to that group forever. I think we've all heard of PNMs who accept a bid, pledge for awhile and then decide to drop for whatever reason and then rush the next year and join somewhere else. You aren't learning anything ritual during the new member period.
I agree but I guess my question is more for those who end up pledging, then dropping out and then try to AI to another group later on in life...how can that other group check to see if the PNAI was ever initiated into a chapter?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
I agree but I guess my question is more for those who end up pledging, then dropping out and then try to AI to another group later on in life...how can that other group check to see if the PNAI was ever initiated into a chapter?
You can't really. Pledging is not binding - if they never initiate, they are free to pursue membership elsewhere.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Also, with privacy issues, it’s not like a non-member can call up HQ and ask if Betty Boop was initiated at Wossamotta U.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

So then someone could initiate in college at XYZ drop out a few months later because of hard feelings and then become an AI of ABC and ABC could never check and find out. I think Panhellenic as a whole should have a database of members for GLOs to be able to check and see if women have already been initiated into another organization.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
I think Panhellenic as a whole should have a database of members for GLOs to be able to check and see if women have already been initiated into another organization.
How though?

By using Social Security Numbers? What about the Canadian members? They don't have SSNs.

Who'd be responsible for the maintenance of this database? I'm thinking that it be a lot of work compiling the info, updating the info with new members, deleting deceased members, etc. etc.

That's just too much work.

I don't know why an already initiated member, after learning about the sanctity of ritual, would even want to initiate into another NPC. I wouldn't know how often this takes place, but I think it's safe to say that it doesn't happen often enough to merit creating a Panhellenic database.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

There just seems to be some wackos in the world and I could see someone dropping out after being initiating then going to a highly greek alum area and wanting to be apart of a different group. I was just wondering how often it happened and if there was anything set up to keep it from happening. I guess the same thing probably could happen with undergrads transferring schools. Thanks to all for answering my questions.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW
By using Social Security Numbers? What about the Canadian members? They don't have SSNs.
We don't have SSN's, we have SIN's (Social Insurance Numbers). You actually cannot ask someone for their SIN unless they are a new employee and they are filling out their joining forms; it's considered private information (we have Privacy Legislation in Canada, blah blah blah blah).

Anyhoooo.....
I know of 2 GC'ers who pledged elsewhere and then AI'd into a different group, along with 1 girl who is a friend of one of those GC'ers. I don't think it's a big deal. Who you are as an 18 year old pledge might be totally different from being a woman in their 30s.

I know that you are not allowed to join more than one NPC group, but really, say that someone did and you found out about it -- if they were a good, dues paying and contributing member, aren't there MORE important things in life to get worked up over?

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 09-02-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
There just seems to be some wackos in the world and I could see someone dropping out after being initiating then going to a highly greek alum area and wanting to be apart of a different group. I was just wondering how often it happened and if there was anything set up to keep it from happening. I guess the same thing probably could happen with undergrads transferring schools. Thanks to all for answering my questions.
If she moves to a highly Greek area - say Texas or someplace - those women are going to check her out BIG TIME before they AI her, if they would consider AIing anyone at all.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000
Anyhoooo.....
I know of 2 GC'ers who pledged elsewhere and then AI'd into a different group, along with 1 girl who is a friend of one of those GC'ers. I don't think it's a big deal. Who you are as an 18 year old pledge might be totally different from being a woman in their 30s.
Pledging and not initiating is one thing, being an initiated member is another. I know a girl who pledged (and dropped) two different groups in college, plus two little sister groups. I would have no problem with her AIing into my sorority.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also think someone who initiated into a sorority and then tried to AI/join another would have to move far across the country where no one knew her and have the cajones to seek membership with another NPC when she had already belonged to one and knew the rules of membership. I would think someone with such a personality would not make it very far in the process-- one would think such an individual would possess certain personal characteristics unbecoming of a member... Also, the relative chance of any of this happening is fairly low. I think NPC has bigger fish to fry.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
Pledging and not initiating is one thing, being an initiated member is another. I know a girl who pledged (and dropped) two different groups in college, plus two little sister groups. I would have no problem with her AIing into my sorority.
Go for it. You-know-who might send you one of her gold stars.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
Go for it. You-know-who might send you one of her gold stars.
Don't make me shiver with antici......pation.