GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,308
2 members and 1,306 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Anticipation

I'm dying to hear some sort of update. It's day two of Recruitment. Please, please post any news. I know I'm not the only one waiting to hear her comments.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck to your daughter!!!!! Would you mind giving us an update?

First Finest Forever
ADP
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I am finally back. Daughter did call Monday night but it was too late to post. Due to work committments yesterday I did not get home till late. Then all I wanted to do was watch the Olympics and crash.

Daughter is thriving at rush. She did not think it was going to be as much fun as it's been. She loves the energy and chants and all of it. She has formed some bonds with the other pnm's in her group as well. Monday was open house at all the 12 sororities and here is her review:

Rodeo - Although the visit was pleasant enough, the conversation was a bit stilted. Daughter thinks rusher may have been a bit shy. Not too keen on this house.

Cowgirl - She was with a girl that she felt like she'd known all her life. Everything was effortless. She cannot wait to go back and really likes this group,

Lady Bird - Wow! What an amazing group of girls. She said they went out of their way to make her feel welcome and really liked them. They are a top contender.

Chaps - She was a bit intimidated by this group at first - everyone was so blonde and beautiful. But they were also so sweet and not in the least snobby. One good thing is that they have a high chapter GPA and this impressed daughter.Once she relaxed, she had a good time. She wants to go back here.

Magnolia - She and the girl she got paired with laughed the entire time. She had so much fun here and can't wait to see them again.

Chili - They did their homework and paired her with someone with the same interests, and it worked. She got along great here.

Brazos - She really didn't have anything in common with the girl here, but for some reason they clicked well and the 20 minutes went by fast.

Stagecoach - This one didn't get off to a great start - the conversation didn't seem to go well here. This is definitely lower down on her list.

Pecan - She enjoyed the girls here, but the homes were starting to run together by then. Middle of the pack on her list.

Mustang - The member she was paired with had more energy than the whole room combined. Daughter doesn't know if she could keep up with this group. She's getting a party vibe from them - which is not necessarily good considering she has a fairly rigorous major.

Canyon - this was the biggest disappointment of the day. They were standoffish (my words, hers were more colorful) Ok, they were plain rude. Rusher ignored daughter. Fellow sister came over and both started talking to each other. Daughter tried to ask questions but all she got was yes and no answers. Later at lunchtime, she heard from several pnm's that this is one of the TOP houses and is extremely sought after.

Spurs - The rusher here seemed to be going through the motions, not much enthusiasm or excitement. In all fairness to the Spur girl, this was the last party of the day.

The pnm's were required to list 8 houses they wanted to return to, in no particular order. Her choices were :

Cowgirl
Lady Bird
Chaps
Magnolia
Chili
Brazos
Pecan
Mustang

Her bottom four were ranked from best to least liked:
1. Spurs
2. Rodeo
3. Stagecoach
4. Canyon - she thought she'd return the favor. Per daughter, the other pnm's are welcome to it.

Daughter wasn't allowed to have her phone at rush, so she called me later last night but only for a few minutes as she was exhausted. She will call later to give more details. So you will have to wait until then!

Last edited by Bluebonnet Mom; 08-26-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like she is having a great time! Yea 'Lil' Bluebonnet"
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to your daughter! And thanks for keeping us updated
Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM

I haven't said this in a while, but I am really liking this rush thread. Although I would love to hear the "uncensored" comments on Canyon, LOL.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Mom View Post
[
Stagecoach - This house paired 2 pnm's per member. Daughter wondered if it was because they didn't have enough members to go around. Her concern is if this is the case, how does this affect the social opportunities and participation? I was of no help here.
Smaller chapters don't necessarily have fewer social opportunities or participate less. If the chapter has a good social chair (and is financially stable) they should be just as social as the rest. I can think of some chapters at Maryland that are smaller and have more participation than some larger chapters that are totally unenthused. If your daughter does return to Stagecoach, she should ask about socials and general participation if this is a concern.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like she is having a fabulous time! Thanks for sharing her story with us!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

LOL - I was going to post that I'm pulling for Lady Bird and Magnolia! Special luck to BlueBonnetDaughter!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Bluebonnet Daughter!!

I had dinner last night with a mom of one of the "rushers" - sophomore, so first time through on the "other side". She said her daughter is absolutely exhausted!!! She reported that her daughter said that, although this girl could talk to a wall (I can attest to that as well - chatty Kathy, but in a good way), by the end of the day, she started losing track of conversations and her conversational ability went missing. She also said that her jaw was killing her from smiling all day (I remember that from rush too).

So, that may be what happened when the girls seem less interested or non conversational.. They run out of gas too

Here's hoping that when invites come back, your daughter finds what she's hoping for!!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Being from San Antonio I gotta root for the Spurs but living in Austin I also like Lady Bird. Good Luck to your daughter!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Here I am with another update. Round 2 parties (philanthropy day) had a maximum of 8 invitations back. Daughter got 7 back, and she was very relieved! Apparently some of the girls were cut very hard, and many had much less than a full schedule. Daughter said the scary part was that the girls who got cut for the most part looked just as pretty, polished, and well dressed as everyone else. She couldn't figure it out. She said it was pretty awful to see some girls burst into tears this early into the week. She was invited to the following:

Lady Bird
Cowgirl
Magnolia
Chili
Stagecoach
Pecan
Chaps

From her original list of 8, she was cut from Brazos and Mustang – which was fine because they weren’t at the top of her list. She was also glad to see she did not have to go back to Canyon. This is how her day went:

Lady Bird – Still a very impressive group of girls. She got to meet some more of the members and really likes them. She has heard from the other pnm’s that this is a house many girls favor, so it will not be easy to get into. Daughter wants very much to return.

Cowgirl – Everything went very well at this visit, although she liked it better here yesterday because of the rusher she had. The members seem to really get along well here, she doesn’t think they seem to be the backstabbing type - and she would definitely return.

Chili – She loved the project that they did at this house, and their philanthropy is one she’s very fond of. She got along here fine, but they’re more the middle of the pack for her.

Pecan – This house really zoomed up on her list. She met so many girls here today and got along so well with all of them. This is one of her favorites. She sounded so excited talking about them.

Magnolia – Another great house. She thinks these girls are so much fun to be around. They’re also seem to be a pretty athletic group of girls, which my daughter definitely is. She could really see herself in this house!

Chaps – She sees these girls as the “golden ones.” They are all so sweet, but she can definitely see that these are pretty high maintenance girls. She feels it would take too much to try to keep up with them. She doesn’t really want to change herself, and thinks this is probably a long shot at best.

Stagecoach – Daughter went in today with an open mind. She’s trying to give them a chance, but when it was all over, this house just isn’t doing it for her.

This is the list of five in random order she’d like to return to:

Chili
Pecan
Lady Bird
Magnolia
Cowgirls

She ranked the following at the bottom:

1. Chaps
2. Stagecoach

A very long, very exhausting day that didn’t end until past 10:30. Round three will have a maximum of 5 parties to attend. Maybe her luck can hold out.

Last edited by Bluebonnet Mom; 08-26-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: too revealing
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

OHHHH Good luck to her!!!! I'm on the edge of my seat!!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, now lets move on to skit day. I suspected this would be a day of very heavy cuts, and I was right. Daughter got invitations back to 4 parties out of a maximum of 5:

Pecan
Chili
Cowgirl
Stagecoach

This was a very tough day for her - she was cut from some of her favorite homes. Being cut from Magnolia was really hard to take. She did realize that she didn't have much of a chance for Lady Bird, but she liked them so much. However being invited back to 4 homes is very good, and she got invited back to some ones that she definitely felt a connection to. Here is how things went:

Pecan - this one just keeps getting better. Absolutely loved the skit, and really liked everyone she met. This is probably her most favorite at this point. She is getting scared though, as she's starting to get dropped from her favorites, and she really likes this one.

Chili - Pretty much the same as yesterday. The girls are very pleasant but there is really no connection here. She was hoping she could feel a little more strongly for them after skit day, but this hasn't happened yet.

Cowgirl - Liking this group more with each party she attends. She feels that they're rushing her pretty hard, so this is pumping up her bruised ego. Probably the most down to earth bunch in the group.

Stagecoach - Didn't really like this party. The skit was cute, but that was about it. The girl she was paired with was not very friendly, so she guesses that this means they're not interested in her - which is fine because she doesn't want to be invited back here.

At the end of the parties, this is how she ranked them in no order:

Chili
Pecan
Cowgirl

She put Stagecoach on her cut list.

At this point constantly having to be "on" is taking it's toll on my daughter. She is ready to get things wrapped up and just wants to find "the right one". I really feel for her - this has to be so stressful at this point. I'm sure some of you GCers can sympathize. Keep your fingers crossed for her.