GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,616
1 members and 1,615 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll2012 View Post
Alright, I'll come back after recruitment and finish the story, no matter what the outcome. Sound good?
Sounds great. Good luck.

ep - yeah I suppose you and I both ASSumed wrong.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
A mom here: Don't let a few people scare you out of rushing. Don't give someone else the power to dictate your future.
Ab.so.lute.ly. Do not let this deter you from rush in any way. Sorority membership is SO MUCH MORE than what people say on a forum or in a PM.

Have a wonderful time and please do come back and tell us how it all turns out.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Ab.so.lute.ly. Do not let this deter you from rush in any way. Sorority membership is SO MUCH MORE than what people say on a forum or in a PM.

Have a wonderful time and please do come back and tell us how it all turns out.
No one is trying to deter her from rushing. They may be advising her to use a little discretion, but no one told her not to rush.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
No one is trying to deter her from rushing. They may be advising her to use a little discretion, but no one told her not to rush.
Based on what she said here, I thought she sounded like she was questioning the whole sorority thing:

Quote:
Okay, well, looks like I'm going to stop writing. After just a few days, I've already been "scared" off. I've already received a few unfriendly PMs from people, as well as a few friendly warnings from people who actually seem to mean well. If someone would honestly try to ruin my rush experience because I said that one of the sororities on my campus has a reputation for being the "fat girls," or the "snobby" girls even though that's NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION, well, maybe I just don't want anything to do with sororities anyway. As a naturally optimistic person, I just find it hard to believe that some people can be so cruel. I believe that the sorority girls at my school have more class than some of the girls I've found here. So, hopefully, IF I do go through rush, I'll find real women instead of catty girls. And thanks to everyone who has been genuinely supportive, I really appreciate it.
I would be genuinely sorry if any PNM decided not to rush because of something that is said here or in a PM. I just wanted to encourage her to take it with a grain of salt.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the idea of a brutally honest recruitment story, but I have to agree, I think they are better used once the PNM has an outcome. I forgot that there are people on GC crazy enough to actively impact a PNM's rush, not simply read about it!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Too bad about the whole crazy people on the internet thing. No matter what, whether it's retro by a few weeks or a few decades, a retro thread will be biased based on the knowledge the storyteller has gained, consciously or not. The real-time threads are interesting because even if someone isn't a good writer, most evoke the emotion somewhat of looking at your schedule for the first time, cut from your favorite house, etc. It's the same reason people are willing to read blogs.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

babydoll - good luck! I wish you the best!!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't doing any scaring because I was looking forward to the thread, but I can see why people did.

Who are the users who have had real life impacts from GC recruitment threads? The only one I can think of was Ocalagirl, and with that situation, I think the real life impact had more to do with the suspicion of online ritual manual collecting than in anything she wrote about recruitment, but maybe I'm wrong. Since the OP here isn't coming back until after recruitment, will some of you who know of other cases summarize or post links to their threads?

To me, posting a brutally honest real time thread is mainly bad because it might kept you from being happy with your results if you end up with a bid to a chapter you presented as "lesser" throughout your thread, ETA which I think is why Annabell likes real time better. I agree that if you know your outcome, you are a whole lot less likely to be completely brutally honest.

EATA: I totally said two things stupidly here. Let me be clear: first I don't doubt that bad outcomes have occurred; I just want to hear about them. (thanks for the link, KSU) Second, I didn't mean to suggest that Annabell likes people to be unhappy with their results. I meant that she likes the way non-knowing the outcome means people are more honest.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 01-09-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
For the record, I wasn't doing any scaring because I was looking forward to the thread, but I can see why people did.

Since the OP here isn't coming back until after recruitment, will some of you who know of other cases summarize or post links to their threads?
I actually asked this question before in this thread (it's been a few years):

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=77742

In short, yes there have been, and there have been more than just liltrixx/Ocalagirl.

I recall a PNM who posted a rush thread, and said some things about a chapter she preffed, but ended up getting a bid there. At some point during her NM period, a chapter member found her thread and all the stuff she'd said about the sorority. They weren't very happy about it. She ended up depeldging. I'm pretty sure the thread was deleted.

There have been many, but alot of the girls end up deleting posts/threads so people can't find them.

Also, it's not just what's said on GC that has come back to haunt PNMs, add LJ community posts, Facebook group posts, etc. to the list as well.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Who are the users who have had real life impacts from GC recruitment threads?
I have. The thing was I never disclosed which sororities were which (although it wasn't hard to tell), but i had history with one sorority and a Rho Chi figured it out & told her sisters. I didn't really care, nor do I care now.

ETA: haha..i just noticed I posted in that link KSU posted about this as well. Oh well, i'm not ashamed of it. I didn't have an awful recruitment experience (i did get a bid to a great sorority) it just didn't work out. And now i'm glad it didn't, cause i can't imagine being anything but what i am.

Last edited by epchick; 01-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

I recall a PNM who posted a rush thread, and said some things about a chapter she preffed, but ended up getting a bid there. At some point during her NM period, a chapter member found her thread and all the stuff she'd said about the sorority. They weren't very happy about it. She ended up depeldging. I'm pretty sure the thread was deleted.

There have been many, but alot of the girls end up deleting posts/threads so people can't find them.

Nope, thread still here, but whatever she said to piss off the Chi Omegas has been deleted, obviously, because there's no trace of negativity in what's left of the thread.

She's never publicly said why she de-pledged, but one of the mods who had an "in" at her campus in the South found out from a member of that sorority about what happened after this PNM accepted her bid.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
well, maybe I just don't want anything to do with sororities anyway. As a naturally optimistic person, I just find it hard to believe that some people can be so cruel. I believe that the sorority girls at my school have more class than some of the girls I've found here. So, hopefully, IF I do go through rush, I'll find real women instead of catty girls. And thanks to everyone who has been genuinely supportive, I really appreciate it.
Babydoll, definitely go through rush. At least the first couple days and see how it is! In my *humble* opinion, and after reading this site almost daily for the last few months, I've come to the conclusion that most of the people that post on here frequently aren't the most accepting. People get bitched at all the time for harmless things like asking a question that's already been asked, etc. NOT all sorority girls are like this. If it is something you have wanted to go through with, you should. Don't listen to a bunch of people with nothing better to do than be rude to people online. Every sorority has a stereotype. My school has *the fat girls*, and they're very nice girls. However, they still have this stereotype. Nobody goes through life with a blind eye and doesn't stereotype. Hello, thats half of what recruitment is about. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
And to Gcers- I don't have any specific person in mind, as i don't know who PMed babydoll. So nobody get offended please. Greek love to all....

Last edited by BlondieCat; 01-10-2009 at 04:00 AM. Reason: can't spell, yo.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaDeltaDelta
This all seems so needlessly complicated... I don't like that people aren't allowed to have opinions. I could see if they were posting anything about the rituals or actively bashing a certain sorority, but most of what I've seen has been innocent.

Gravitas.Pietas.Dignitas.Iustitia
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDeltaDelta View Post
This all seems so needlessly complicated... I don't like that people aren't allowed to have opinions. I could see if they were posting anything about the rituals or actively bashing a certain sorority, but most of what I've seen has been innocent.
You may not have seen a problem with it, but to a lot more people, calling their chapter "the fat girls" or the "slutty girls" is pretty offensive. Personally, I agree with you, and I think she should have kept going, but it's better to practice discretion than to compromise her rush experience. Priority here is for the OP to have a successful rush, not so we can be entertained on GC.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaDeltaDelta
Yeah, I wouldn't advise anyone to reveal which school they go to or what sororities they were talking about in their stories. I just wish people didn't go so far out of their way to make trouble for other people.

Gravitas.Pietas.Dignitas.Iustitia