GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,162
0 members and 2,162 guests
No Members online

Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Question LXA Badge/Ring

Brothers,

I understand that the Badge is to be worn over the heart, however, I was wondering if anyone thought it would be an OK/Cool idea to have a badge converted into a ring.

I have seen a couple on eBaY or the like and I think that they are extremely cool. I know that they sell rings at HJGreek, but they are expensive as all heck and not exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anybody think I could have a jeweler put an Actives badge onto a ring setting?

ZAX
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Crashing here...

I know that when NPC members do it, it is alumnae who do...i.e. this practice is not appropriate for active collegian members.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate to discourage you, and it does sound like a really cool idea, but for etiquette reasons I would shy away from using the badge as a ring. For starters, it is only supposed to be worn at very formal occasions - generally, people wear their rings all the time. Second, there are very clear rules in The Paedagogus about when and where it can be displayed, and I doubt a ring would qualify.

If you're set on getting a Lambda Chi Alpha ring, and keeping within the fraternities' traditions, I would suggest finding a lettered ring or jewel on eBay, and having that set into one, or getting one engraved.

Hope this helps, & ZAX
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

33girl - Something I noticed was that some sororities actually have rings that allow a badge to be set into it, effectively making the badge a ring. The rules for the usage of the badge must be very different from fraternities.

Phi-Theta 376 - I have actually seen a handful badge rings on ebay. I saw some that appeared as if the ring was cast with the badge being part of it (rather than being added). I think that in the past, we had rings that were the badge symbol (similar to Freemasons with rings that have the compass).

The most recent one I saw was last week. It was a badge with opals, pearls and diamonds. However, it was a badge converted - with the ring soldered on (or something like that). It was a size 4! I could imagine it being given to a female companion or wife.

I would not wear the ring right now. However, the badge is the symbol that you are a brother and not to be used as decoration or the like (similar to the official seal).
The crucicrescent is supposed to be more appropriate.

If I could get a signet ring with the seal or the coat of arms on it (kinda cheap) I would do that also.

I just view it as a symbol of brotherhood, showing that I am an initiated brother and as a reminder that I can look at every day. I will ask someone at IHQ if it's ever been done and how they would feel about it. I know what Jack thought about it.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAGuy View Post
If I could get a signet ring with the seal or the coat of arms on it (kinda cheap) I would do that also.
Lane swerving, but have you looked at these? I know that they may not fit your definition of "kinda cheap," but I'm not sure they're that different from the cost of having a badge converted into a ring.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think you should not get a badge ring because they are ugly.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the idea but I personally wouldn't do it
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Trey_P-I_47
As many users have pointed out over the years of greekchat, theres not really a Badge Police Force for Lambda Chi. If you feel comfortable doing something like that I see no reason not to as long as its in good taste.

I too have frequently thought about converting a badge to a ring and have purchased several 'damaged' badges in the past for this purpose. People sometimes even solder on disks with eyelets onto the back of badges to turn them into necklace drops.

I have seen the ones on ebay and think they are pretty cool as well. I did manage to go a different route with my ring though. I was able to purchase a gold ring, with a black onyx in the center with a gold pre-merger style crest in the center. Now that was a cool piece for me to grab, now if only i could manage to find that elusive TKN ring....