GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,102
2 members and 1,100 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not looking for more. I have taken the suggestions and advice and I appriciate it all. I was just taking up for myself.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Too late. Teh Triad is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcutie315 View Post
I KNOW my age was a problem, I knew going into it that it might be held against me.
How do you KNOW that? Did someone tell you?

You've been told
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
We can tell you that we don't know why you didn't receive a bid, because the member selection process of every sorority is private.

And told again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
seriously utcutie315? are you going to hijack yet another thread ?

don't make me page teh triad!

WE CANNOT TELL YOU WHY YOU WERE CUT.

You can dwell on it and speculate all you want, but no one here knows and neither do you. The only people who know are the girls who were in MS, and even if you asked them, they can't tell you.
And then told AGAIN...
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
^^ Your thread (actually it was someone else's thread that you hijacked) was closed.

Let's close the book on why you were cut. We don't know. You don't know.

Maybe the sororities have some super secret qualification that they are looking for that you didn't meet. You don't know what they are looking for in sisters. Maybe you "met the qualifications"... maybe you didn't.

Once again, NO ONE KNOWS BUT THEM.
You almost seemed to understand here, but then went back to square one.
Quote:
I understand that you do not know. I wasn't asking why? I was asking what kind of options do I still have.
I'll be plain. You have no options.

Last edited by icelandelf; 08-25-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I also know that to start the process of adding another organization on campus, someone (i.e. ME) has to show interest and a willingness to move forward with it. I can’t do it on my own and I know that and I also know that it will be a long process. However, it is a process that I’m willing to do. And that’s all that matters. Not what you say on here.
Actually, if you are trying to start a new NPC sorority on campus, your interest is irrelevant. It is a decision made by Panhellenic. Sometimes expansion occurs when a local group petitions for a national affiliation, but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about. As for ground up colonization, the local Panhellenic assesses the situation and decides whether or not to open the campus for extension. Then any NPCs that are interested submit packets for consideration. Then the local PH reviews the application packets and chooses which NPCs to invite to make presentations. Then, PH votes and that NPC can accept or decline their invitation.

Most of us aren't trying to be mean, it's just that we understand that the extension process can be long and is not in your hands. That would be pretty frustrating to put your heart and soul into something and then realize you have no control over the outcome.

Last edited by irishpipes; 08-25-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Actually, if you are trying to start a new NPC sorority on campus, your interest is irrelevant. It is a decision made by Panhellenic. Sometimes expansion occurs when a local group petitions for a national affiliation, but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about. As for ground up colonization, the local Panhellenic assesses the situation and decides whether or not to open the campus for extension. Then any NPCs that are interested submit packets for consideration. Then the local PH reviews the application packets and chooses which NPCs to invite to make presentations. Then, PH votes and that NPC can accept or decline their invitation.

Most of us aren't trying to be mean, it's just that we understand that the extension process can be long and is not in your hands. That would be pretty frustrating to put your heart and soul into something and then realize you have no control over the outcome.
UTcutie, please understand that we are not trying to be mean, but that we have all gone through recruitment, and some of us( including myself) have been involved in NPC expansion.

I totally agree with irishpipes! It is not easy at all to get an NPC group to come to campus. At my alma mater it took over 2 years, and over 450 girls rushing 4 sororities to get a new group to come! It is a very lengthy process! You could inquire in the Greek Life office about if there is the possibility of one coming on campus, but if that is not the case than I would drop it.

My best advice, concentrate on your grades, get involved in extra curricular activities outside Greek Life! As great as being Greek is, there are many people who are not and still have wonderful college experience!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, I do know when my bf will pop the question. Not the exact day but it will be before next fall. He was waiting to ask me after I received a bid and got into a sorority so that I would get to be a part of the ceremonies and etc that sororities have.
This and a subsequent post where you mention your boyfriend is in a fraternity is what made me feel clearer in my mind about the bottom line here.

I do not know you or your situation, but the whole point of posting in a place like GC is to get an honest take from total strangers about the facts you present. This can be a good thing, and I hope what I have to say is helpful.

Taking into account all the information you presented and the reactions you received- plus the nature of your responses- my advice to you would be to seriously consider why you personally want to join a sorority, when that desire arose and why it arose. Also consider whether you maybe were always interested, but might have become more interested in recent times.

These are hard questions- and I apologize for what they imply without my knowing if I am headed down the right path (the downside of asking strangers.) But I do hope answering them will help you- regardless of the final outcome.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Unregistered-

A few years ago when I was still in school, I saw flyers all around campus saying that they wanted to bring XYZ (an NPC sorority) to campus. There were several girls interested in forming a chapter of XYZ at my school.

AGD is the only NPC sorority on campus and every year the chapter seems like they're getting bigger with each new NM class. It would seem like a good idea to bring another NPC on campus, right?

Well, nothing ever came about from the XYZ interest group. Apparently their HQ put their foot down because there simply were not enough alums willing to help out, and because of our distance, there weren't too many resources nearby -- the closest collegiate chapter of this sorority was in the Midwest, I think.

So even though you've got girls so determined to start another sorority chapter on campus, you'll be running into a brick wall if your College Panhellenic says no or if NPC groups don't have any interest in that campus.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hm. Somehow ended up on this thread. I can't tell if the OP was a troll.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish someone had QFPed the first post, although I guess I can figure out the jist of it.

I don’t think she was a troll, just one of those people who thinks they know a lot more about Greek life than they actually do. Then they come here and ask for advice, and don’t like the answers they are given, from people who really do know how things work.

Last edited by chi-o_cat; 11-29-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I *really* with that people would understand how different the answers to these questions between the NPC and most (all?) other groups. The only other GLO that I can come up with off the top of my head that a student shouldn't be contacting the National Organization to try to get it on campus is Phi Beta Kappa. For Phi Beta Kappa, the *school* needs to put in an application.

Last edited by naraht; 11-29-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: had second line backwarys.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
For Phi Beta Kappa, the *school* needs to put in an application.
GXP is slowly moving toward that model.