GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,402
2 members and 1,400 guests
LaneSig

Old 12-24-2005, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Interested in joining

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to give me some info about joining Beta Sigma Phi. I live in Calgary Alberta. I was in Kappa Alpha Theta in university but I left uni early so I cannot go alum. But my aunt was a member of Beta sigma phi and it looks very interesting to me, but I have no idea how to join! There are ton of chapters in my area but I have no idea which one to join or how joining/pledging works. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. I am also fairly young so I am wondering if I am maybe too young to join anyway since I am only nineteen? thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-24-2005, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Hey! Thanks for stopping by! The first thing you should do is email membership@betasigmaphi.org and they can put you in touch with chapters in your area, and get your name submitted... ALSO if you had a few friends in the area (hint - six friends to be exact) you could friendly venture - which is BSP speak for starting a new chapter.

Either way, you need to email membership. If you choose to start a new chapter, an existing chapter in the area *should* be able to help you get things set up and such - BUT - if you cannot find one to help, we are always here!

Being a KAT is fine, Im a Phi Sig and one of my chapter sisters is an ASA... so the two sorority thing is totally okay. Being 19 is not a problem either, you can join BSP at 18. You might not find a young chapter in your area, so again, starting one is a good way to be with women your age. There might be a chapter with women a bit older than you, but you may fit in well with them too, that is all personal prefrence!

I wish you luck, let us know how things go!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for replying! I emailed Beta Sigma Phi headquarters about ten days ago but I haven't heard anything yet. I'll let you know when I do!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
You haven't heard from International yet because they're away for the holidays. You should hear from them after the first of the year.

I remember when I first e-mailed International. Their response was prompt, but it took a while for the local city council to get back to me.

Good luck and happy new year!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Re: Interested in joining

The sisters here gave you awesome advice. It might take a bit for international to get back to you!

Best of luck

BTW, there is another Theta on her who is also a Beta Sigma Phi

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkle57
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to give me some info about joining Beta Sigma Phi. I live in Calgary Alberta. I was in Kappa Alpha Theta in university but I left uni early so I cannot go alum. But my aunt was a member of Beta sigma phi and it looks very interesting to me, but I have no idea how to join! There are ton of chapters in my area but I have no idea which one to join or how joining/pledging works. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. I am also fairly young so I am wondering if I am maybe too young to join anyway since I am only nineteen? thanks so much!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

not giving up

Well, I'm back again.

I emailed BSP International again, and expressed interest - hopefully...maybe...maybe...I might get hooked up with a chapter. Don't tell me about FV'ing, b/c the reason I want to join is to meet new folks!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

should I go?

As mentioned before, I've contacted IHQ again, hoping to find a chpater. I received in the mail on Saturday, an invitation to the local City Council's Valentine's Brunch.

Should I go? I mean, I haven't been contacted by anyone other than this flyer, and I don't want to do the wrong thing...any advice from you folks would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Was there a number or contact name on the flyer? If so, I would get in contact with the point of contact. My first event was a Founders Day dinner
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Our city council invites members at large all of the time that arent affiliated with a chapter but are looking to again all the time to stuff. They annouce it to all the ladies that attend an event and everyone goes over and talks to her and what not so she can see where she fits in. Sometimes they come to several city council events and several meetings of different chapters before making a decision.
I would say show up. They should be mingling around with you and what not there. I would also take Jill's advice about contacting the person that sent you the invite so you can seek out her atleast and have atleast one face with a name to go to at the get together if there are any questions or problems, etc.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, there was a name and phone number, but it was "regrets only."

I guess I'll call anyway and touch base....
Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely call if you have questions or you just want to introduce yourself. A brunch sounds fun! Good luck.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Talked to the person on my invite to the tea/luncheon, and I think I'm gonna go - I must admit, I'm a bit nervous, since my last attempt at BSP kinda fizzled, but I figure one more shot can't hurt - and this way, I get to meet a bunch of women as opposed to just one chapter!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sadly, I think my quest is over.

No, I didn't make it to the Valentine's event, b/c it was snowing. (and I live on a hill, and didn't want to chance it)

I got an invite to a chapter for a visit, and went last night. It's a Laureate chapter, and I was the youngest person in attendance by at least 10 years. (and I'm nearly 40 myself!) Heck, the recording secretary could've been my grandmother....don't get me wrong, they were great ladies and all, but I just didn't fit in.

It's the second chapter I've visited, and I guess I'm doomed to be a square peg in a round hole.

Thanks for all of your prior support.....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
I think all the "little old ladies" in sorority are so sweet! It's fun to meet Laureates, Masters, etc. My first encounter with BSP were two Preceptor chapters, and I had so much fun! Still, I like being in a Ritual chapter because the ladies are closer to my age. But you never know.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I agree ragtime! But daffodils, don't feel bad. If you didn't feel comfortable, then you are making the right choice to decline membership. Only you can know what sort of sorority experience you want. Best wishes! I hope that something will come along for you.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient