GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,566
1 members and 2,565 guests
FlorCundif

Old 10-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Question Extracurricular Activities on Resumes and applications

I'm VERY active in extracurricular stuff at my school. I understand that a new trend is that it is now considered unprofessional to list these things on a resume? For those of you reading resume's how much weight do you place in these things?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
For the most part, a big list of extracurriculars isn't going to land you a job.
But I'm reading The Great Game of Business by Jack Stack and he says that one of the things he looked for on resumes of recent grads was that they were captain of their intramural team. His reasoning was that they had to be picked by their peers to get that position (same with positions within other orgs, too, like your GLO). So there's definate leadership qualities there. So I wouldn't rule extra-curriculars out, I just wouldn't make them the focus. I would focus on internships, etc. that relate more directly to the position you're applying for.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 10-20-2002, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

On my resume, I only list the extracurriculars that I have a leadership role in. My campus activities are listed at the bottom of my resume with just the name of the club and the position that I held. More important stuff like my work experience, my internship and my education are listed at the top with more details included.

I'm not sure if my way is correct but that's how I do it.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I do not list very many extra-curriculars, focusing mainly on the ones that realate to my professional interests. However, I can tell you that in almost every interview, I end up mentioning that I was president of my sorority.

In fact, I had an interview this morning, and the guy asked which sorority, and told me that he used to be the past president of KDR. So we bonded over our Greek ties, and the interview went really well.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I always put extra-curriculars on my resume, but only limit it to the ones i have had a leadership role in.

I think it really helps, and it sets you apart from the rest of the people that just went to class as an undergrad.
Extracurricular Activities show that you are no stranger to taking a leadership role, you manage time wisely, and that you are ambitious. All characteristics that would make an excellent candidate for any position.

I put some of my Kappa Sig and greek leadership on my resume, and within days I was contacted for interviews by 2 firms.

1) From a Kappa Sigma alumnus
2) From a company run by a Chi Omega alumna, and former Kappa Sigma Sweetheart

It pays to put in leadership, especially greek affiliation because you never know who's looking.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

When I was looking for work, I had only mentioned the activities that I held a position in. I was the Education Chair in my sorority and Secretary of my dorm legislature. You could put your extracurriculars on your. However, I must advise you to be careful in which section you mention these. Don't put them in work experience, instead have an 'other experience' section or you might have to answer questions the interviewer may ask (especially by those who were never a part of a GLO). I hope this helps!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 05-11-2003, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The only things I put on my resume are leadership positions, Nationally prestigious events/organizations, or things for which I have been paid. For example: Alpha Chi/Panhellenic offices, National Trust awards, my jobs, and being a Resident Counselor/Advisor. No one wants to know that I blew up balloons for Derby Days!
Old 05-12-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
If I were writing a general resume I would probably put down Chapter PResident and Finance Chair of student government under volunteer leadership.

And honestly, I would have them there as an opportunity for conversation during an interview.

And as Munchkin03 said: I doubt anyone would be interested in much more detail.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:15 PM

The books and the "experts" change their minds every few years about what a resume should look like. That allows them to remain "experts" and getting paychecks.

I'd probably be real surprized on what form should be used these days. I'm sure mine doesn't match it. But, I have thirty-five years of experience -- and, in the end, that's what counts.

As a hiring manager, here's how I look at a resume:

What is the person's work experience? How long did he/she stay in each position? Did the applicant show advancement? What education level does he/she have and what college did he/she attend?

And I considered things pretty much in that order.

So, to weave all of that back into the context of the thread, let me say this. If you have little meaningful experience in your chosen profession, it can't hurt to list a couple of more meaningful extracurriculars. As you get experience, drop them off the bottom.

Since I just posted an answer to your "resume tape" thread, I know that you may be considering a broadcasting career. The SINGLE most important thing in that field is getting a job ANYWHERE, and learning as much as you can.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, I defintely think that the activities you do in college are of vital importance to recruiters. Most of the ones I've talked to say that they want to see a well rounded individual who does more than study and party during four long year of college. Greek affiliation is always a good thing (even if you dont have a leadership position - you have probably done something that can be turned into a "title" that looks impressive). I recently had a final round interview with a very presitigious advertising firm in nyc and one of the guys to interview was a sigma chi and the first thing he started talkin to me about was that I was a beta and the connection that exists between greeks and our two fraternities in particular. the rest of the interview went great.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Over the last few years my Dad has often taken me to lunch at his club where I developed a healthy respect for the "Old Boys Net" and how it helps to have a connection. But, one thing that sort of surprised me was that while personnel types may tell you how they like to see extra curricular activities to indicate a well rounded candidate those with hiring authority were much more interested in GRADES, GRADES, GRADES! I have been told again and again that unless the "window dressing" reflected something very substantial they could really care less. The sort of thing that would impress them would be a high GPA, editorship of Law Review, a summer internship at the White House or with a Senator and a description of exactly what projects you worked on (making coffee for the staff cuts no ice). Being heavily involved in extras can backfire as this is seen as a frivalous distraction from serious business. These guys were pretty brutal in their comments and their advice to me was to demonstrate that I could stay focused and produce quality results under pressure.
They suggested that I let the letters on my ring speak for me and that if the person who was conducting the interrogation was interested he would notice and bring up the subject. Otherwise just mention two or three extras in passing where you had bragging rights to a notable accomplishment if they picked up on the theme. Mainly the emphasis was on grades and substantive accomplishment. As they used to say way back when Tom Earp was a kid, grimsville!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I list only 3 of my most note-worthy activities, the 1st being Director of Recruitment. The 2nd applies to my career goal, and the 3rd is there because it's just different. But soon I'm going to have to get rid of them because I won't be able to fit all my jobs and internships on 1 page.