GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,014
3 members and 1,011 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-16-2002, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

IS it Us or just a bad year??

Hey,

This year my sorority is having a terrible time getting girls!! We have less than 10 rush out!! In Canada sororities and fraternities get a really bad rap for no reason what so ever and our universitise do not support us. I am really worried because this year we really need the numbers because we had a lot of girls go alum. I hope we have a large winter rush because this is really worrying me. I dont know how to get girls out!

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:54 AM

COB, COB, COB.
A lot of women at U of Toronto join through COB (and their quota is 5....most chapters are around 20).
Recruitment is something that you do 365 days a year, so COB!
Old 09-16-2002, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with CutiePie!!
Advertise your COB events like crazy.. the school newspaper, the university radio statoin.. flyers.. whatever you can think of.

LIVE in your letters.. wear them everywhere to get your sorority's name out!
Old 09-16-2002, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
As a local your Rush methods are closer to that of a fraternity.... get names, follow-up with calls or e-mails, and have them come out to events. If they are outgoing thats great, the more reserved or quite ones need to have someone "pair-up" with them, a member that makes sure to keep them engaged throughout the event or rush period.

This year has proven to be a good one at UofT for sororities so far (I think roughly 70ish girls were going through formal). Fraternities on the other hand have had a little trouble (the average I've heard is 3-4 new pledges).

But I agree with the previous posts, rush is something you do every day. Just remember make contact, follow-up, and hold events that will stick out in their minds.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 09-16-2002, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
ThetokenCanuk,

I totally understand what you are going through. (Pi Phi's at UofGuelph) At our first info night we had no girls come out and it was really depressing and disappointing. We had 10 girls show up for our info night and we were excited, but only 4 came out to our first rush party. We're going to have to do some serious advertising for COB. It's horrible I know, but you're not alone. It's so hard when you're totally unrecognized by your school.
I ran into a friend of mine today, and she saw me wering my letters, and she told me that she didnt even know we existed. We do our best when it comes to advertising but we're so restricted.

Best of luck and I know everything will work out fine.

Pi Phi Love and Mine,

Emily
Old 09-16-2002, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
from a local girl to another:

throw a party??? after dry rush obviously (don't do what we did, even tho it still turned out great.) If you have some close ties with another fraternity, have them help you out, send over girls etc.

I agree with the COB part. And if you have girls that are younger and still taking GE classes, get them to do some heavy recruiting cuz older members are fine but they will most likely graduate soon or may already be part of a greek org.
Pass out flyers in a quad area of your school. Wear your letters every day.
Don't stress over not taking a large class tho. If the above suggestions don't work, use this time to maybe restructure your recruitment process. Again, I don't know what it is really like in Canada, but good P.R is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Brother Rob, Very Good Point!

I think everyone knows how I stand on teh Pan Hell rushing!

Good luck to you and go fro the Gold! Maybe if you do good the ole staids will see the light at the end of the damn tunnel!

I have been saying and while I do not Black And White % the Greek Community is growing smaller!

Maybe the Wheel of life will soon start turing back up again for us!

Internationals and Locals!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 09-16-2002 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

have each member find one girl to "attach" themselves to. whether it's in a class, while working at the library, etc. have your sisters constantly talking about your sorority and all the fun you have. and always wear a party shirt or letters. good luck!