GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,384
2 members and 2,382 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-04-2001, 02:31 PM

Talking A nice touch for Parents to their Daughters after Recruitment...

I got this from the University of Washington Panhellenic website (Seattle, Washington) and I just thought it was a lovely idea....

A parent came up to me with a great recommendation to put on this web page. She stated, being a parent of two girls that have gone through formal recruitment week and having another go through this year she felt that parents should be aware that flowers is a great surprise after your daughter has moved into her house. Being in a house myself a handful of girls received flowers sent after Bid Day and since I was not one of them I know how it feels. It's an emotional time leaving home for possibly the first time so receiving flowers might be a nice gesture if you can't be there or just to remind them that you are proud of them. If you are curious as to what the flower that is associated with each sorority check out The Sororities section of the web page and click on the appropriate chapter.
http://students.washington.edu/~panhell/
http://students.washington.edu/panhell/AnswerP.htm#note
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2001, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000:
I got this from the University of Washington Panhellenic website (Seattle, Washington) and I just thought it was a lovely idea....

A parent came up to me with a great recommendation to put on this web page. She stated, being a parent of two girls that have gone through formal recruitment week and having another go through this year she felt that parents should be aware that flowers is a great surprise after your daughter has moved into her house. Being in a house myself a handful of girls received flowers sent after Bid Day and since I was not one of them I know how it feels. It's an emotional time leaving home for possibly the first time so receiving flowers might be a nice gesture if you can't be there or just to remind them that you are proud of them. If you are curious as to what the flower that is associated with each sorority check out The Sororities section of the web page and click on the appropriate chapter.
http://students.washington.edu/~panhell/
http://students.washington.edu/panhell/AnswerP.htm#note
I think this is more common in the South. My cousin just did spring rush at Vanderbilt. (She pledged Theta.) She said that practically everyone's parents bought huge bouquets for their daughters on bid day. Being from Iowa, she called her mom just to say basically, i'm not mad or anything but all the girls from Southern families just got tons of flowers. She was just in shock that getting a bid was such a huge event for not only the girls but also their mothers.
Old 07-04-2001, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I definately think the flowers are a southern touch. On bid day no one got flowers in my house from their moms. I wish my mom seemed more excited for me. Still to this day i don't think she understands why I like being in a sorority or what the big deal is. She never went to college so she never got this experience. I hope I have daughters who join a sorority.
Old 07-04-2001, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
My mom didnt get me anything, but when I called her all excited she was excited too! She never got to go to college, so it was really nice to have her excited for something she didnt know about! Especially here in the north-east where there is bad steriotype!

I know that one of the girls I was MOC for this past semster got flowers the day of initiation from her mom, she also got them 3 days early because the florist was dumb! But it was so cute... 2 bouquets!! Yellow dipped in blue... they were nice!!!

<3

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!
Old 07-04-2001, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

This sounds totally like the South. At my school, I think the only people who get flowers from their parents after Bid Day are legacies--and there sure aren't many. I guess it reflects the importance of Greek Life in the South, not only for the daughters, but the mothers as well.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get flowerws (white violets are not that easy to find, either). But the best thing that happened was when my older sister called me on bid day after talking to my mother. See, I had just gotten a bid from Zeta Tau Alpha, and my sis had been in a local called Zeta Delta Phi. So when I answered the phone, all she did was scream and started doing a Zeta drinking cheer. She was as excited as I was that we were both "Zetas" of sorts. That was better than getting flowers!

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 07-04-2001, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

We did not have houses all the sororities on campus lived in one building called "Panhellenic." The first floor of Panhellenic has a sitting area for guests and a desk with an RA or guard (at night), where gifts and messages are left. Every year on Bid Day and the few days following the desk was full of flowers. This day I still remember the chapter phone ringing and one of the active's yelling out my name, that I had a package downstairs. My parents and my best friend's mom both had sent me flowers. That said, I graduated from a Southern school.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
On bid day, we got one lovely purple iris along with our bid cards. It wasn't much, but it meant the world. I still have mine if a plastic bag...yeah, it isn't so purple anymore, but it's still around!
Old 07-05-2001, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

My family sent me pink roses (Delta Zeta's flower) on my Bid Day. It was one of the sweetest gestures I could imagine! Also, one of my mother's best friends who is a Phi Mu alumna, sent me an arrangement on the same day. I thought that was really sweet of her. Even though I didn't choose her organization, she knew how much it meant to me to join DZ and made my day even more special by sending that basket of flowers.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Following Recruitment, we got our little gifts from our new sisters, but our parents didn't send flowers or gifts. However, some families sent flowers or little gifts following initiation. I think it just depends on the houses. I know the Delta Gamma Chapter at our school asks each family to send a bouquet of flowers to the girls following their initiation.