GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 587
0 members and 587 guests
No Members online

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

We can't tell you what happened because we aren't in any of the chapters. However, the main reasons for releasing someone after the first day are grades, no recommendations and possibly behaviour that day. What is your GPA? Did you have recs for every group? Did you dress and act appropriately for that day?

You might have a chat with the Greek Life adviser to see if she/he has any insights.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

If you have kind, honest friends who you can trust, ask them for feedback on what they think you can improve on. We don't know you so we don't know.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I strongly suggest you talk with the Greek adviser for better input.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 PM

Greek Advisor and friends are not going to be honest, really.

Greek Advisor is is going to give politically correct answer because he/sh has no clue what everyone's criteria are.

Your friends are not going to be honest because 1. the discussion is private info. 2.
they do not want to hurt your feelings or make things awkward.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

If there was only one sorority doing informal recruitment, I wouldn't worry too much about that not working out. Usually, the allowed number of bids during informal recruitment is pretty low and women who already have strong chapter friendships tend to be the ones who get the bids (for example, the chapter I advise was only allowed to take 2 new members this winter, and it's been about 3 years since we were under total after December graduation and even allowed to participate). Because the number of allowed bids was so low, the chapter really promoted "going Greek" at their open house, being friendly, and encouraging participation in the upcoming formal fall recruitment.

I would say being released by all chapters after the first round of fall recruitment is more concerning, but that's where getting recs would help. Also, while you definitely want to get involved in other campus activities, you'll also want to join organizations where you will meet sorority members, if your goal is to join a sorority. If there are sorority women in the feminist and LGBT groups, great; if there aren't, then that may not be helping you make connections/friendships with the sorority groups you're looking to join. Of course, you should join organizations that promote your own interests and passions. Be true to yourself, but keep in mind that participating in a "neutral" academic honor society for a club for a major, a hobby/special interest group, or a volunteering group generally exposes PNMs to a more diverse group of women than they would typically meet by limiting their participation to campus organizations with religious, political, or activist affiliations.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My intent was for her to get input from the Greek Adviser with regard to what the requirements are on her campus with regard to recs,etc. She seems not to understand what recruitment is about or how it works on her campus. For all to release her on the first day, some needed item is missing.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh wise Sciencewoman

I went to a smaller school with a less competitive recruitment where it was a surprise if someone sent in a rec which seems similar to what you've got going on. I agree with Sciencewoman that joining groups you're passionate about is is great thing, but also think about maximizing the greek women you'll meet, and it may be there you are already (heck our vagina monologues was one of the most popular events to be involved with and had a ton of greek women). Getting to know women currently in chapters will make a big difference if you go through formal recruitment again. Also make note of the greek women in your classes and if you have group projects try to pair with them and get to know them there. Also, if you have a friend or two you trust who are currently in chapters or a similar guy friend who hangs out with some sorority women ask them if they can help you get to know more people. The best thing about all of this is it will build networking skills you'll be able to apply to making friends and advancing your career for the rest of your life!

On the recommendations thing, if your school is like mine, having them is not necessary at all, BUT it could be something to bring you to their attention if you flew under the radar. You can get these from any alumna of the chapter (former teachers, neighbors, alumna from your school), and if you don't know many sorority alumnae, check with your local Panhel Alumnae chapter and they're usually very helpful.

Like the very wise Sciencewoman said, not getting a bid at COB should not discourage you. They typically do not have many bids to give out and usually they gravitate to women they already know really well. Give another round of formal recruitment a go and take the time until then to network as much as possible. And if you're a junior when you go through make sure they know you are excited about being involved and want to make the most out of your remaining time as a member of the sorority.

Last edited by mkaytay; 02-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Why was your first thought "am I too tomboyish"? Sororities aren't just for girly girls.

How large are the chapters at your school?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Great advice on here. One last thing I'd add which I've observed: desperation.

Do not be that girl who is desperate to be in a house! It can come off unconsciously through the way you pursue contacts, getting to know women, etc. I've always said to those who want to join a sorority, especially those with tougher odds, that you want to get to know these women as if there was no reason beyond getting to know them.

In short, have fun with it. The women who do best in rush, regardless of year, are those who relax and have fun as much as they can. Please keep us posted and good luck.