GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,329
0 members and 2,329 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2002, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Freedom of Speech in the greekchat.com world

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC

Uhhhh, HUGE UPS TO THIS POST BY LibraSoul.

kddani - No offense, your post is a great reminder of what the legal issues are as pertinent to freedom of speech here . . .

But that's not the point. The point is, minority viewpoints, new posters, and etc are SHIT ON here on greekchat.com, usually for no other reason than being new or expressing an unpopular (or better yet, non-PC) viewpoint. "Free speech" doesn't mean "I want to yell fire in a crowded theatre" - it means I want to express myself against the grain, and still be treated like every other poster, in this case.

I think we're missing the trees for the forest.
I have to agree with KSig RC here. I honestly feel it's the sad truth!

Quote:
posted by kddaniThe reason I chose to start this thread is because of some of the arguments that have been going on lately. And also because of the reaction of some GCers when threads have been deleted- just yelling "Freedom of Speech" and bitching about it instead of PMing the mods to ask why.
I don't really know of how many "arguements".. in the last thread I just was wondering what's up ... and sorry I'm not on the GC every waking second of my life to pm the mod, but after awhile it didn't matter to me anymore. And don't take this in a mean way, but guess what? sometimes people will have bad days and "bitch" .. sometimes people will yell "freedom of speech'... but it's all a matter of opinion too.

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing this board was started with the intent to share ideas, opinions, etc. about Greek Life.. When you put a bunch of people together like that, it's a fact that not everyone is going to agree. It's just like being in a sorority or fraternity. I know everyone loves their brothers/sisters. I know I do! Sometimes you might not agree with what your bro/sis is saying, but it's ok! You just talk it out, or do something, so everyone is happy and no one is hurt, everyone's opinion gets heard, and it's all good! This is like a giant fraternal organization... Greeks all over are coming together to share ideas for rush, greek life, academics, community service everything!

Last edited by texas*princess; 08-08-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2002, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It's also an issue of "thin-skinnedness" of some posters. I VERY often see some members get offended at things that they shouldn't (IMO of course). Everything is not meant to be a PERSONAL attack or issue, however a lot of things are oftenly (word?) percieved as being that way. Since we know that, beware, post at your own risk. LOL!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 08-08-2002 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
It's also an issue of "thin-skinnedness" of some posters. I VERY often see some members get offended at things that they shouldn't (IMO of course). Everything is not meant to be a PERSONAL attack or issue, however a lot of things are oftenly (word?) percieved as being that way. Since we know that, beware, post at your own risk. LOL!
lol true dionysus
Old 08-08-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Since we're on the topic of Moderators and banned members.....

I AM WAITING FOR THE DAY THIS HAPPENS
A. A Moderator becomes a banned member
OR
B. A Banned member becomes a moderator (PKA needs a mod, hint:UF_Pike) that would be a riot LOL!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Thumbs down

Talking about UF_Pike ...

Is it only me or what, but I thought that there was a thread recently at Chit Chat about UF_Pike? When he had his own party and stuff? Did someone erase it or what? Moderators?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Thumbs up

Never mind ... it's still there
Old 08-08-2002, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

not sure if we're thinking of the same thread, but i just checked and it's still there
Old 08-08-2002, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
"Freedom is an illusion"
Old 08-08-2002, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, I just can't help but weep when I read anything in this thread. It's just so....... disenheartening that women --- bearers of life, are those targeted to loose the same thing that only they can accomplish......

Sorry, I work in the newly-created women's center on our campus. For those of you who know anything about the history of Texas A&M...... that's a BIG deal. It's been a learning experience.

Each night I pray for the women affected by this 'circumstance of societal disfunction'........

My heart and every good thought is with you all.........

**edited for spelling, though it won't pass the grammatical test, most likely......................
Old 08-08-2002, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Sorry, I am missing your point here . . . Why is this thread disheartening? And where is the potential loss of life?

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieDZ
You know, I just can't help but weep when I read anything in this thread. It's just so....... disenheartening that women --- bearers of life, are those targeted to loose the same thing that only they can accomplish......

Sorry, I work in the newly-created women's center on our campus. For those of you who know anything about the history of Texas A&M...... that's a BIG deal. It's been a learning experience.

Each night I pray for the women affected by this 'circumstance of societal disfunction'........

My heart and every good thought is with you all.........

**edited for spelling, though it won't pass the grammatical test, most likely......................
Old 08-08-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I second James with a big ole " HUH??????"
I missed something....
Old 08-08-2002, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I hear you on that one.

But also, we've got to remember that this is the internet too. I am sure if you have taken any sort of media class in college, the Internet is so impersonal. You can only guess if someone is being sarcastic, truthful, funny, hurtful... and if you guess wrong, then all hell can break loose.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I can assure each and everyine of you that "THE MODS" are not a group of aliens who are trying to slice the feedom of speech to little bits!

We as Modertors discuss many posts! It is not done lightly when an individual is Banned!

I do not know of any Moderator who banned someone with out checking with us on the Moderators Thread!

I have only asked someone be banned as a last resort as I have PMed them along with others to explain what the problem may be and ask that they tone it down!

I am sure some have asked why that Carzy Guy ( Me ) has not been banned!

Maybe it is because I make points of interst to make people think and figure out what we may all rally be about!

We have some of the very finest people in the world on this site from Austalia to South Africa and from Texas to Canada!

Where can you find this type of site where we try to help out each other so much!

Yes this Site is a privlilage to be on not a right!

There are certain rules to follow, do it or not be on site!

We have all colors, types, religions and etc on here that interact with one common goal!

We do a little but maybe in the future alot!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Banned

Hey Tom can you get Wahine to cheer up? She doesn't even have pity for me. I like happy moderators.

-Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
I can assure each and everyine of you that "THE MODS" are not a group of aliens who are trying to slice the feedom of speech to little bits!

We as Modertors discuss many posts! It is not done lightly when an individual is Banned!

I do not know of any Moderator who banned someone with out checking with us on the Moderators Thread!

I have only asked someone be banned as a last resort as I have PMed them along with others to explain what the problem may be and ask that they tone it down!

I am sure some have asked why that Carzy Guy ( Me ) has not been banned!

Maybe it is because I make points of interst to make people think and figure out what we may all rally be about!

We have some of the very finest people in the world on this site from Austalia to South Africa and from Texas to Canada!

Where can you find this type of site where we try to help out each other so much!

Yes this Site is a privlilage to be on not a right!

There are certain rules to follow, do it or not be on site!

We have all colors, types, religions and etc on here that interact with one common goal!

We do a little but maybe in the future alot!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: Re: Freedom of Speech in the greekchat.com world

Good post There might be some secondary considerations you didn't mention such private or semi private entities that receive federal funding either directly or indirectly. But I would have to review that myself.

James

Quote:
Originally posted by Eupolis

I'll add as a preface that I haven't seen whatever series of posts, removals, and protests triggered this thread.

I think someone posting either above or below has asked whether the moderators could offer some guidelines, and that might help, too. People may feel better if they're offered ideas as to how they can express their thoughts consistently with the rules of the forum. In the end, though, there will always be a point where a moderator will have to make a judgment call that someone will disagree with. No one can make those decisions perfectly.

Good luck in law school, kddani! I just finished, and took the Colorado bar exam about a week ago. Feel free to PM me.

Oh, and by the way -- I am not a licensed attorney, and my legal ideas offered here are not professional legal opinions that apply to any particular facts. (Yes, I have to give this disclaimer to everyone I talk to about the law.)