GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 2,023
0 members and 2,023 guests
No Members online

Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

"The Right Place"?

I rushed sororities this past Fall (2007) as a Freshman at my mid-sized public university. About 14% of the school participates in Greek life. I was able to "make it" in the rush process until I was not invited to pref night.

I very much want to join a sorority and I feel that I did everything that I could in the rushing process to put my best foot forward. All of our Rho Chi's said that each girl would "end up in the right place". In a way, not receiving a bid was better for me because I was able to put all of my focus into my studies which became increasingly difficult after encountering some health problems.

I am inclined to rush again next fall but before I make the decision (I do have a while), I would like to get some of the thoughts of all of you. Are there any second timers out there? What advice would you have for me?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I am not a second timer myself, I have many, many sisters and former college classmates who were. Good luck to you in the process, but in order to help us help you, what size school do you attend? Is the Greek system very strong there? How many women went through recruitment this year? Without some of that information, we won't be able to help much. Also, do a search on this topic--you might find a whole lot of valuable information. Good luck in your pursuit of joining a GLO!!! And, Happy Holidays
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Not a second-timer, either, but I do have some suggestions:

1) Go to class, study, keep your GPA high! In fact, keep that in mind throughout school - you're there for an education first, then greek life.

2) Go to class, look at the other greeks, and make friends with them. They can not promise you a bid (no matter what you hear to the contrary), but it certainly helps to have a few current sisters willing and able to speak up for you when the time comes.

3) Join a few activities that are interesting to you. I'm on a trivia team, and was told something wise by the leader: it isn't always if you're right or wrong, it's the passion you have in the ones you know. So, if a lot of greeks are into the fishing club, and you just aren't into it, don't join because you think it's "in". Join the clubs where you have passion, and excel in them - and maybe you'll meet some greeks anyhow!

4) Behave yourself at fraternity parties etc! The very last thing you need right now is a bad reputation!

5) Do not ask sorority members you know why you weren't invited back to Pref! This is a ritual matter, and respecting each GLO's ritual shows integrity. Women without respect for ritual are rarely offered bids.

6) Check out the dozens of successful recruitment threads and see if there was something you missed.

That's all I can come up with right now - I'm running on fumes. Good luck, and keep us informed!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for the encouragements/advice.

My school has approximately 12,000 students and Greek participation is 14%.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My big sis was a second-timer; she got sick during her first rush and had to drop out towards the end. She was really glad that it happened that way, because she said that having a year of experience helped her see that her top choices freshman year were not at all what she really wanted out of her Greek experience. She also thought rush went better her second year because she had more to talk about with the sisters, and her answers weren't as vague and timid as they were the year before. She also maintained a lot of non-Greek friends from her freshman year (as a result of not pledging then), and she really appreciated that throughout her time in college.

The one thing that did make her feel somewhat awkward was that our sorority sometimes over-celebrated "four-year girls", but there were plenty of sophomores in her pledge class, and the girls her age who had pledged as freshman didn't exclude her for not being in the same pledge class, so I think overall she had a positive experience. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and one more thing. I wouldn't bring up the fact that you rushed the year before UNLESS sisters remember you. If the topic comes up, I would try to gloss over it as much as possible -- if asked outright, don't lie, but don't volunteer the details of last year's rush unless absolutely necessary. Lots of girls drop out during rush for lots of good reasons, including not getting a bid, and sisters understand that. If it comes up, just imply that it was a positive experience but just not the right time for you -- but this year IS. It's tricky -- you don't want houses to think you are wishy-washy about joining a sorority, but it is best to avoid bringing up the pref night thing, because it may make the rest of the conversation awkward.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for the great advice. I'm definitely not one of those people that sat around after Rush and thought that there was no reason why I didn't make it. I can't wait to rush again next year.