GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,448
1 members and 1,447 guests
MSKKG

Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

A Spooky Recruitment

Recruitment at my school is now over, and being in a sharing mood, I've decided to upload my story on here for you all to read! I've loved poring through Recruitment stories in the few weeks before Rush...hopefully my story will be an inspiration to some future PNM, or at least entertain a few of you for a couple minutes
Being in a Halloween mood, I've decided to nickname all the sororities as characters from one of my favorite childhood movies, The Nightmare Before Christmas. To ensure I remain anonymous, I will only share the real name of my final sorority (yes, this story has a happy ending!)

Ok, let's get started!

So we have:
Jack
Sally
Zero
Santa
Oogie Boogie
Mayor
Dr. Finklestein
Lock, Shock, & Barrel
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Go Greek Night

I was so incredibly nervous, and had spent days picking out the perfect outfits. Because I’m the first in my immediate family to go Greek, I didn’t really know what to expect. I researched all of my school’s sororities, but kept an open mind going in – you never know where your true home will end up being!
Also, a word of warning to future PNMs: I decided to wear wedges the first night despite all my school’s attempts to dissuade us from wearing heels…I sure learned my lesson! Wear flats the first night – you will be walking and standing for 6-8 hours. Your feet will thank you!

Okay, enough blabbing, let’s get on with it

Jack – My first party of the night! Their door song was a bit overwhelming to us unsuspecting PNMs, but managed to get us pumped up. I loved their colors, symbol, philanthropy, and especially their enthusiasm. Despite my nerves, I felt that I had great conversations with the four or five girls I spoke with. Jack ended up being my favorite chapter of the evening, and I sincerely hoped I’d be invited back the next day!

Santa – I only ended up speaking with two girls at this party, which disappointed me. The women I talked with were very nice and held up their end of the conversation well, but I didn’t feel the connection I’d felt at Jack. By the end of the night, I had trouble remembering what we’d even discussed.

Sally – This was the house I’d been most looking forward to visiting! In my research before Recruitment, I’d loved everything about my school’s Sally chapter. I was able to meet three or four women, who were all incredibly welcoming and sweet. Even though we mostly discussed the standard questions (name, major, year, etc) I definitely wanted to return the following morning!

Mayor – I went in not knowing much about Mayor, but left liking them. They seemed to have a strong sisterhood and cared deeply for their philanthropy. I met a girl with a name similar to mine (which is a rather unusual one), so we ended up talking together most of the time.

Here we got a 15-minute break to grab a quick snack and run to the bathroom. We’d been walking and talking for four hours by this point…I was pooped! Everyone’s voices were already noticeably scratchy.

Lock, Shock, & Barrel – This house is colonizing at my school this year. Rather than spend our party talking, we got to spend it sitting down (halleluiah!) while listening to a short presentation. Because Lock, Shock, & Barrel won’t be conducting their Recruitment process until Spring semester, they dropped from Fall Rush the following day.

Oogie Boogie – This is the most non-conventional sorority my school offers. Oogie Boogie was the first house that I was paired with another PNM in my Rho Gamma group to meet the actives. All the women we spoke with were sweet, but seemed to be a little uncomfortable talking with the PNMs. I didn’t feel that I’d fit in with this chapter.

ZeroZero is the most – for lack of better word – infamous chapter at my school, known for their partying and “Elle Woods” look. But I managed to keep an open mind, and ended up loving the house! The women I spoke with seemed genuine and were not as intimidating as I’d imagined they would be. I had fun conversations, and crossed my fingers I’d get another chance to get to know them better.

Dr. Finklestein – The last house – finally! I’ll admit that I was a little bit “out of it” at this point, given that it was midnight and I’d spent the last eight hours being engaging, smiley, and enthusiastic. Lol! I was again paired with fellow PNM at this chapter. The two women we spoke with at Dr. Finklestein seemed to struggle with keeping both of us PNMs engaged, and I didn’t feel like either of us had made a particularly strong connection with the sorority.

At long last, the night was done! I was absolutely exhausted, starving, and was craving a hot shower. Before leaving for the day, my Rho Gamma group met up a final time to fill out our Preference forms. My rankings were as follows:
1 – Jack
1 – Sally
1 – Zero
1 – Santa
1 – Mayor
2 – Dr. Finklestein
3 – Oogie Boogie

Last edited by pumpkinpie; 09-17-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day

Philanthropy Day started bright and early the next morning. Once I’d gotten home from Go Greek night, I’d stayed up much later than I’d intended because I was so excited and nervous. 8 am came all too soon!
When I met up with my Rho Gamma group, I crossed my fingers that I’d been invited back to Jack, Sally, and Zero. When I opened up my schedule, my heart sank. My parties for the day were Dr. Finklestein, Oogie Boogie, Mayor, and Sally. I was disappointed - and even a little hurt - that Jack and Zero hadn’t decided to give me another chance, but was so incredibly glad to have been invited back to Sally! I wasn’t particularly thrilled to be going back to both Dr. Finklestein and Oogie Boogie, but I was grateful and flattered that they wanted me back. Soon enough, we were all heading out to our first parties.

Sally – I had great conversations with all the new girls I met, and ended up talking with them so long that I never got around to doing their philanthropy craft. While I didn’t feel an immediate bond with a few of the actives I spoke with, I felt that the party went well overall. I knew that, if they would be willing to offer me an invitation to their sorority, I would be honored to call myself a Sally. I loved their philanthropy, and their sisterhood was tangible. This was, predictably, my favorite house of the day!

Oogie Boogie – This had been my least favorite chapter, but I went in smiling and with an open mind. I only talked with one girl for the entire duration of the party, which was very disappointing. The conversation was forced, and the active I was paired with came off rather rude and stuck-up, bragging that she didn’t follow the sorority’s rules. I was not impressed.

Mayor – I was paired with another PNM, which made it incredibly difficult to get to know this sorority better. Because I knew that this chapter was the other PNM’s favorite (she was in my Rho Gamma group, and we had become fast friends), I let her take the lead in the conversation. I left feeling neutral towards the chapter, but still counted it as my second choice if Sally dropped me the following day.

Dr. Finklestein – I felt bad because, just like last night, this sorority was my final party, meaning that after another long day of Recruitment, I was exhausted, hoarse, and thirsty. I got paired with another PNM from a different Rho Gamma group, and three of the four actives that spoke to us were ones I had met last night. The women virtually ignored me as they got to know the other PNM, and it was so loud in the room that I gave up trying to insert myself into their conversation.

At long last, I headed off to find my Rho Gammas and fill out my Preference form. I ranked:
1 – Sally
1 – Mayor
2 – Dr. Finklestein
3 – Oogie Boogie

At the end of Philanthropy Day, I was feeling pessimistic and more than a little bitter. I could feel myself getting sick, and was so worried that I’d be dropped from Sally and Mayor. I decided that if I was left with Dr. Finklestein and Oogie Boogie the next day, I would withdraw from Fall Recruitment and try out for Lock, Shock, & Barrel in the Spring.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

It's getting a bit late, so will finish the story tomorrow. Goodnight ladies! <3
Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 AM

Rooting for oogie boogie!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I kind of like the sound of Mayor.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

I love your theme-one of my favorite movies!

Are you going to see "Frankenweenie?"
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately Lock, Shock & Barrel are the colony and I'd normally vote for them, as they could possibly be out of the running, I'll choose Oogie Boogie!

_______

"Kidnap the Santy Claws, beat him with a stick, Lock him up for ninety years, see what makes him tick. Kidnap the Santy Claws, chop him into bits Mr. Oogie Boogie is sure to get his kicks"
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I love your theme-one of my favorite movies!

Are you going to see "Frankenweenie?"
Yay! I love finding other fans And yes, I will be seeing it soon!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference Morning

Pref Day was here at last! I didn’t sleep, could barely eat, and couldn’t keep my hands from quivering. I was so nervous! We could only be invited to a maximum of two parties this day, and I was praying I’d get my top two houses. I got all dolled up and met with my Rho Gamma group to receive my schedule one last time. I tore it open to reveal – Sally and Oogie Boogie! I wasn’t too disappointed that Dr. Finklestein had released me, but was a little surprised that Mayor had dropped me and Oogie Boogie had invited me back. But I had been lucky, as most of the girls in my Rho Gamma group had been released by all of their top houses, and many had only gotten one Pref party. Trusting that it would all be for the best (and absolutely delighted I’d been invited back by Sally!), I headed off to my first party of the day, Oogie Boogie.

Oogie Boogie – I was met at the door by my Pref buddy, who ended up being the girl I’d talked with during the Philanthropy Night party. Because she’d come off as disinterested and a bit rude the night before, I’ll admit I was disappointed. The Oogie Boogie Pref ceremony, however, was very sweet, and you could tell the sisters were enjoying themselves. After the Oogie Boogies finished singing a final song, the PNMs sat with their Pref buddies to chat for the rest of the party. My Pref buddy did nothing to change my opinion of her, and dominated most of our conversation. She also asked me what other house I was visiting today – something my Rho Gammas said later was a big no-no! She spoke as if I were guaranteed a bid (“Once you join Oogie Boogie…” “Later this week we’ll…” “You’ll love Bid Night tonight!” etc.), which made me a little uncomfortable. She made me feel like I should already be committed to Oogie Boogie, but I managed to remain vague throughout the rest of the party. I left the Pref party knowing that Oogie Boogie wasn’t the house for me.

Sally – I was equally nervous and excited for this party! They were my last remaining favorite house, so I knew I had to put my best foot forward. At this party, the PNMs were led in to stand facing a group of active Sallys, who sang softly as we entered. We were then called one-by-one to join our Pref buddies, who led us to sit at one of several large tables set up along one end of the room. My Pref buddy was a girl I’d met during Go Greek night and hadn’t gotten to know well, so I was worried that we wouldn’t have much to talk about. It turned out that we got along great! We had the same favorite TV shows and movies, listened to similar music, and had both decided to join a sorority for the same reasons. After everyone had talked for a good half hour or so, we were gathered together again for the second half of the Preference ceremony. This part was very very touching, and most girls – including myself – were in tears. I felt that this chapter could truly be my home for the next four years! I gave my Pref buddy a tight hug as I left the party, and mentioned how much I’d loved getting to know her and Sally in general.

I nearly sprinted from the party to fill out my final Preference form. After the Pref parties, I knew exactly where my heart lay – at Sally. Despite the disappointment I’d felt when Jack and Zero had released me, I realized that I’d always loved Sally, even before going through Recruitment. And so I considered decided to do something “bad” – suicide bidding. For anyone going through Recruitment later this year or anytime in the future, do NOT do this!

In the end, I chose to use my better judgement and rank both houses:
1 - Sally
2 - Oogie Boogie

I happily signed my Pref form and headed home, looking forward to the next morning: Bid Day.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Love this story!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

Bid Day was finally here! I’d been waiting for this morning all summer This was the most casual day, and it felt great to be back in sandals and shorts again. Each Rho Gamma group met in an empty classroom to receive our bids. We couldn’t sit still, but had to wait until the woman in charge of my school’s Recruitment came around to each room to give the ‘okay.’ After 45 minutes or so of watching cute YouTube videos to pass the time, the door swung open. We went wild! The PNMs formed a large circle around the room, each facing outwards to give each other privacy as we opened our envelopes. I took mine with shaking hands, my heart pounding as I stared at my neatly printed name on the front. I took a deep breath and tried to savor the moment. This was it.
Once everyone had received their bids and quieted down, our Rho Gammas told us we could open our envelopes. I unsteadily tore it open to reveal an invite from …

SALLY!!!!!! I was absolutely on top of the world! I had to stop myself from yelling in delight! I couldn’t believe it, and all the blisters, the sore throat, and the previous days’ disappointments suddenly became totally worth it.

Each PNM – now new members! – was called to the front of the room to sign her Bid agreement. Once I’d accepted my bid, I couldn’t wait to meet all my new sisters and get my very first Sally shirt. I was so so so proud to be able to call myself a Sally at my school!

Once everyone had finished, we rushed down to the field to join our new Pledge classes. After everyone was settled, the groups of Pledges were led to the front of my school, where we ran to our new sisters. It was exhilarating! I was screaming, laughing, crying, jumping, and hugging everyone in sight. I was greeted by my Pref buddy, who crushed me with a hug and told me how happy she was to see me. Soon enough, we were given our first Sally shirts, which we all put on immediately. Bid Day was the most fun and the happiest I’ve felt in a while

I spent the rest of the afternoon with my new Sally sisters, and made so many new friends. At the end of the night, my face ached from smiling so much, and I looked forward to the lifelong friends I knew I’d make and all the amazing opportunities that had opened up from joining my sorority.

If you’re thinking of going through Recruitment, I highly recommend it! The best thing that can happen to you is that you'll find your home. I know I did!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Sooo do you guys wanna know who Sally is?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Loved your story! Congratulations and so glad you got one that was consistently in your top! And YESSSS! Would love to know who Sally is!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, here goes. Sally is better known as - drumroll, please -

KAPPA ALPHA THETA!!!!!