GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,421
4 members and 1,417 guests
acg233, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My colonization experience!

I was hoping to share my colonization experience with everyone here on GC. For the past few months, I searched for any information I could get on what to expect during the process, but didn't really find anything that specifically answered my questions. I'm so happy to have found my home and I hope to share my experience soon (mostly likely tomorrow morning when I'm not so tired). I can't explain the relief of having all my worries and doubts disappear when I finally got to share in the rituals with my 143 new sisters (Epsilon Mu chapter)! I couldn't be happier!

No drum rolls, I'm lucky to start a bright future with
CHI OMEGA
Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptbystars View Post
I was hoping to share my colonization experience with everyone here on GC. For the past few months, I searched for any information I could get on what to expect during the process, but didn't really find anything that specifically answered my questions. I'm so happy to have found my home and I hope to share my experience soon (mostly likely tomorrow morning when I'm not so tired). I can't explain the relief of having all my worries and doubts disappear when I finally got to share in the rituals with my 143 new sisters (Epsilon Mu chapter)! I couldn't be happier!

No drum rolls, I'm lucky to start a bright future with
CHI OMEGA
Congratulations!! I saw some of the Bid Day activities for your colony on the Chi O snapchat and the jerseys y'all got looked so cute! Go Huskies!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Chi Omega! Congratulations, and enjoy being a colony member.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay, another Chi O! Congrats!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so happy the colonization went well. I am looking forward to hearing your perspective on the process. Welcome to the bond of XO!
Old 01-24-2016, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry it took me forever to update this. I got caught up in having a great week with my new sisters! I'll try to post little updates as the semester progresses and I hope GC'ers in the future will find this helpful. I'll try to include as much information as possible without giving myself away. Forgive me if I use the incorrect terminology at any point, I'm still new to this!

So the scheduled events leading up to bid night were as follows:
2 Information Sessions (only required to attend one)
One-on-one interview with a national representative
Invitational night
Bid night!

The national representatives arrived on campus last Monday (01/11/2016) and tabled throughout the whole week in the student center on campus. The table was set up so that interested women could (1) meet with a pre-determined national representative for their interview, (2) get signed up for an interview or (3) ask questions/inquire about the fraternity.

I also forgot to mention that there were early bird interview sign-ups (which I did take advantage of but had no idea if it had any bearing on receiving a bid). There was an application we had to fill out asking the basics, name, address, etc., as well as our interests/hobbies, high school/college activities, any Greek connections, prior recruitment experience, and grades (as well as a grade release form).

Information Session
I will try not to say too many specifics here so that I don't violate any recruitment policies (if that's at all applicable). The first information session (01/13/2016) was also held in the student center on campus. The second was held the following night in one of the academic buildings. I believe both were held at 7:00pm (I honestly cannot remember the exact times) in a relatively large room and was packed to the rafters. I think over 100 women showed up to the invitational I attended. I also heard every seat was filled at the other invitational. I don't know exactly how many women showed up/interviewed, but I would put my estimate at well over 200, if not more. The information session basically gave us an "inside look" at the fraternity. One of the national representatives spoke about her experience as a Chi Omega. We also got a sheet that outlined all of the requirements/expectations in order to qualify for a bid (basically GPA, academic standing, qualities they were looking for).

Interview
I won't personally speak about my interview experience. But the interview was very casual. It lasted about 20 minutes or so. I showed up in the most basic New England outfit I could pull out of my closet (i.e. over-the-knee boots, skinny jeans, a button-down flannel and vest pulled over). We didn't talk about anything I put on the application, but just connected over other life things, childhood experiences, family, friends, home, etcetera. It felt like the representative was really interested in trying to get to know me. I felt good about the interview, walked by the recruitment table a few times later that week, chatted for a bit, but on the whole didn't try hard to suck up to the representatives. I just thought if they liked me and wanted me, they did, and if they didn't well, they didn't. I have to say I was very, very nervous, though.

Invitational
There were three sessions at invitational night the following Tuesday (01/19/2016). I received an email with a time and a location to show up to. The attire was business casual. It was a small group of about 50 or so girls. I don't know how many girls showed up to all three in total. We played some fun games, and I think the national representatives were trying to see if all the girls present could gel, mix, mingle and get along. And we did! So that was a relief.

Aside: Some women were extended bids prior to the invitational night, some weren't. I received a phone call the previous night from the national representative who interviewed me. I was so happy. I was asked to keep quiet about receiving a bid since some women hadn't.

BID NIGHT
Bid night took place the following evening in the student center. I received another email saying when, where, and what to wear. I just threw on a basic outfit, but we were given spirit jerseys that read "Charter Class" across the back. All I could think about was how lucky I felt. I've so far been blessed to be a part of Greek Life because I really never thought I would find myself in our growing Panhellenic community. Anyway! Over 140 women received bids. We went through the rituals, sang some songs, took pictures, maybe did a chant or two (that scared the crap out of me we were so loud and peppy). Best night ever! We were also given some information about important upcoming dates, when/where we were having chapter, and met our advisory board. I was very sad to see that some of the women at my invitational event didn't receive bids. It made me realize how special and unique this experience is.

Another aside: Should I order the badge, chapter guard, and dangle, or just the badge itself? I know the badge is mandatory, so can I order the other two at a later date? I'm honestly afraid I'll lose all three.

The past few days following bid night thus far have been amazing. I can't wait to report back on receiving our charter, big/little reveals, slating, initiation (OMG!), our retreat, as well as whatever other great things I get to partake in. I think I'm going to run for an executive board position! I can't wait to dive in and get involved.

If anyone wants to know specifics, please shoot me a private message!

Last edited by sweptbystars; 01-24-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! and thank you for sharing your experience. I think you really nailed it at the interview prior to the invitational :-)

You can secure your badge to your clothing using a plastic earring back That will help to keep it on your clothing. Let me know if you need an explanation of how to do this. And - DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE IT OFF (the badge) before you wash the clothing item (or send it to the dry cleaners!). Personally i'd order the dangle and chapter guard and have all three together. The guard also may help to keep the badge from dropping off and getting lost. That's just my two cents.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-24-2016, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The Chi Omega badge & chapter guard are usually ordered together.
The pin dangle is usually ordered by the chapter for members who hold office or for scholarship.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
The Chi Omega badge & chapter guard are usually ordered together.
The pin dangle is usually ordered by the chapter for members who hold office or for scholarship.
I've been enlightened. Thank you!