GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 754
1 members and 753 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-02-2003, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pinklady23
Well I got some bad news today, I talked to one of my friends in one of the big name sororities and she pulled me aside to tell me that her sorority does NOT take sophmores. As a rule.
I don't get that attitude. A sophomore still has 3 years left to contribute to her chapter - and may even have 4 years or more ahead of her, if she changes majors or something. My chapter has had sophomores and juniors pledge. Why cut fantastic sophomores just for their class standing?

Well, chin up - it's their loss. Like you said, you have a bunch of other options. Good luck!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2003, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I just found out on Sunday that my cousin is now a freshman at Michigan. I have no idea if she will go through recruitment. I hope so.

Pinklady, just go out there and do your best at recruitment!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

don't worry!

Don't worry, there will be groups at Michigan who won't blink an eye at the fact that you're a sophomore! There are so many sororities there, you're bound to find one to call home!

Dee
Old 09-02-2003, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
As others have said, don't worry about being a sophomore....some sororities may cut you because of that fact, but it's THEIR LOSS!!!! I went through recruitment as a sophomore and was cut from organizations because of that, but I was able to find my home and I know that you will too!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
Like everyone else has said, don't let that one house get you down. I went through formal recruitment last fall here at Michigan State and was worried that I wouldn't get a bid anywhere since I was a junior. But it all worked out in the end. I ended up where I felt most at home ~Sigma Delta Tau~. I am the oldest in my pledge class, but that's okay. And even though I will be graduating before many of them, I know that I will have a place to come stay at when I come back to MSU!!

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 09-02-2003, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

i am so proud of your attitude!!! so many other people would be upset if someone told them that they were going to be dropped bc they were a sophomore!!! go out their and have fun! find a home that is a good fit for you!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey!

I hope you have a FANTASTIC time at rush! I probably wont' see you since I'm alum now but I'll be thinking of you. I know that there are generally a FEW houses on our campus that have that unspoken rule so pleaase don't take it personally. There are a ton of other great options here anyways. When you're going through the sets, see where you feel comfortable but also look at the girls you're going to each party with because the sorority isn't going to stay just like the girls who are there NOW but the sorority is going to be what your pledge class is. Some of the Big names on UM campus have stayed big names only bc people SAY so. if the girls who are rushing you aren't current sophomores or juniors, see if you can try to meet some of the younger girls coz those will be the ones you'll be spending most of your time with.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Quote:
Well I got some bad news today, I talked to one of my friends in one of the big name sororities and she pulled me aside to tell me that her sorority does NOT take sophmores. As a rule. She was like "I just want you to know it's nothing personal, I don't want you to be hurt by this, but you're gonna get cut first rounds from us." So I was a little disappointed, but hey there are a bunch of other great options still available (I hope!)
I hate to hear crap like that! Sorry, but it just makes me mad! I pledged as a sophomore...VERY close to being a junior...and I did my darndest everyday to show how proud I was to be there! It goes back to what everyone else keeps echoing: It's not just for four years, it's forever!

I hope that you won't run into this with many other chapters! I hope that everything works out for you!

aj
Old 09-03-2003, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't the sophomore thing either (bc some of the coolest girls in my chapter pledged as sophomores), but it is usually for financial reasons (only getting 3 years of dues instead of 4) in terms of restrictions placed by nationals (that's what it is in our case and some of the chapters here I know at least). I had two sophomores in my rho chi group this year and they both pledged places that they're happy at. So, good luck! I'm sure you'll find the right place for you too!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Another reason they may do it is because their sophomore class is already big, and they don't want to hurt the chapter a few years down the road by just adding to it. If you have a chapter of 60 women and 30 all graduate at once, the chapter suffers. I can see why they would do it in this case. It's a concern I have for one of the chapters I advise.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. . . one of my friends in one of the big name sororities . . . pulled me aside to tell me that her sorority does NOT take sophmores. As a rule. She was like "I just want you to know it's nothing personal, I don't want you to be hurt by this, but you're gonna get cut first rounds from us." So I was a little disappointed, but hey there are a bunch of other great options still available (I hope!)
Hmmm. Isn't that special. Well, at least you know it isn't your grades, your personality, your ethnic or religious heritage, your morals, your activities, your finances, your attention to your appearance, your family's social standing, your ability to talk appropriately at rush parties, or whether you would fit in with the chapter and be a loyal, contributing sister! Sounds like checking out other options is a good idea -- gotta be something better out there!
On a related topic -- I've gathered that it's a Rush Infraction / Green Book No-No for a member to promise an invitation to a party or to promise a bid. Evidently it's okay to tell someone they will get the boot as soon as humanly possible. Right?
Of course I'm curious about what would be a "big name" chapter at Michigan. Thinking here about mottoes and songs and such: "perpetual bond of freshmen"? no . .. it's "friendship." "Freshmen hand in hand"? no -- it's "union." "I am so happy that I am a freshman"? no, no. "One heart, one bunch of freshmen"? no -- "one way." Aw, I give up.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Hmmm. Isn't that special. Well, at least you know it isn't your grades, your personality, your ethnic or religious heritage, your morals, your activities, your finances, your attention to your appearance, your family's social standing, your ability to talk appropriately at rush parties, or whether you would fit in with the chapter and be a loyal, contributing sister! Sounds like checking out other options is a good idea -- gotta be something better out there!
On a related topic -- I've gathered that it's a Rush Infraction / Green Book No-No for a member to promise an invitation to a party or to promise a bid. Evidently it's okay to tell someone they will get the boot as soon as humanly possible. Right?
Of course I'm curious about what would be a "big name" chapter at Michigan. Thinking here about mottoes and songs and such: "perpetual bond of freshmen"? no . .. it's "friendship." "Freshmen hand in hand"? no -- it's "union." "I am so happy that I am a freshman"? no, no. "One heart, one bunch of freshmen"? no -- "one way." Aw, I give up.
I hope it's not "We live for freshmen"
Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

No polarpi, I don't think it's that . . . it's been "for each other" since 1851.
And come to think of it, it isn't "to be a freshman rather than to seem to be"
either -- "Esse Quam Videri" doesn't include the concept of freshamn status.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
No polarpi, I don't think it's that . . . it's been "for each other" since 1851.
And come to think of it, it isn't "to be a freshman rather than to seem to be"
either -- "Esse Quam Videri" doesn't include the concept of freshamn status.
Y'all are cracking me up!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait for your recruitment experience to begin! Don't worry about what your friend told you. Any sorority with that kind of rule is missing out on possibly a wonderful new member, but you have to understand that for some reason they had to instate that rule. For example, the reason that lauralaylin gives. Best of luck to you!