GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,809
3 members and 2,806 guests
indisigma00

Old 02-06-2002, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
Smile Any Sig Ep Sweethearts here?

Hey, I'm Sig Ep sweetheart right now at the Penn Nu chapter and was wondering if there are any more Sig Ep sweethearts on the boards!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-06-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

what makes someone a sweetheart? humor the girl who went to a school with three sororities and 5 fraternities.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Any guys want to take this one? I don't know what the criteria is for certain chapters (even the one I am sweetheart of) but being sweetheart kind of mean's you're that fraternity's "girl." It is actually hard for me to explain. Do you have Men of the Year in your chapter? It's like that except the guys are picking a girl. It surprises me you haven't heard of it, my school only has 5 fraternities and 4 sororities. Maybe the fraternities on your campus don't do the sweetheart thing!
Old 04-04-2002, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveHofstetter
Kristi- does Penn Nu have multiple sweethearts, or just one? And if it is multiple, how many?

Just a curious SigEp from New York.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Well.....for awhile they only had one a year. Last year they had a different one for each semester. So by the end of the year there was two. This year, they voted for two at the beginning of the year and we work together on everything. Who knows what they're going to do next year!
Old 04-07-2002, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hawaiiagd Send a message via Yahoo to hawaiiagd
I'm a Sigma Phi Epsilon Sweetheart!

I became one in Fall 1994 at our Christmas Semi-Formal.

Everyone was all dressed up in their cocktail dresses and suits and ties, and we were posing for what I thought was going to be a group photo! Then one of my dearest friends (and sisters) shouted out, "One, two, three...." All of a sudden all the SigEps in attendance gathered around me in the form of a heart and locked their arms. Rob, my boyfriend at the time, and his brothers then serenaded me with "Sigma Phi Epsilon Sweetheart," and at the conclusion of the song, Rob got down on one knee with a ring and proposed

Turns out all of my sisters were in on the surprise and brought the SigEps as dates that night, so they could be there to help a brother out.

Rob and I were married in December 1995... a very Greek wedding... with 9 Alpha Gam bridesmaids and 8 SigEp groomsmen... and every Alpha Gam and SigEp in town at the reception!

Still living happily ever after!

Aloha,
Mai Ly
Old 04-08-2002, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

That is such a beautiful story! For me it was much less romantic.
I was sitting in my room in my pajamas one night when my boyfriend and one of his brothers (the other sweetheart's blood brother) came and asked me to come out to the lobby. then I knew what they were up to. We went out and all of the brothers welcomed us into the circle and sang that very same song. It was such a wonderful moment, but not as wonderful as being proposed to at the same time!!
Old 04-08-2002, 04:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hawaiiagd Send a message via Yahoo to hawaiiagd
That is romantic!

Aaahhhhh.... these are the things I just love about greek life...
Old 08-27-2002, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
to my knowledge, no fraternities on my campus have sweethearts, nor do they do pinning/lavalearing. however i've dated a couple sigeps (just broke up with one actually), and they're definately my favorite chapter on campus. i'm there all the time. i'm a pi phi meself.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

At my chapter, we only have one sweetheart a year and she is voted on by the brothers in the chapter. When we find out who it is, we all get dressed up in our coats and ties and go to her house or apartment and formally ask her to be our chapter sweetheart. At this point she is usually starting to cry or unable to speak, (I'll never understand why women do that...)and then we cirlce around her and serenade(sp?) her. The girl is mostly chosen by how much she supports our chapter, i.e. during rush, coming to intramural events, etc.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Waldo Send a message via AIM to Waldo Send a message via Yahoo to Waldo
At my school we have sweethearts. Our pinnings for girls, however, are more or less what you are talking about. We have only pinned 3 girls in our chapter history, and all of them were currently engaged. Our sweethearts are very informal. It is just girls that come out early in the year, get to know us, and then help us out at Rush by talking to all the kids. Although sometimes it comes back to bite us in the ass, b/c the girls that always come out to our house aren't always the 'sweetest' girls. Especially with this MTV sorority/fraternity life crap being shot at my school right now.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

At my schol here in Platteville Wisconsin, it is very different for us in the sweetheart department. We have less than 7 sweethearts, all but one are engaged or married to brothers. The one that is not engaged or married to a brother is one of the best female friends our fraternity has ever had. She would be a member if she could join, but of course she couldn't. She was a friend of our chapter before we were chartered.

So at our school it is exceptionally difficult to become a sweetheart unless attached to one of the brothers.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jenigail
I date a Sig Ep. And I have been around their house for the past 3 years. I love them dearly, they are definatly the "crem de la crem" (sp?) They used to choose a sweetheart every year, but as more girls became close the the brothers they didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. They didn't want one girl to become upset because she felt like she wasn't "good enough" to be a sweetheart. In regards to pinning...I'm not sure what that is so I can't say anything about it. But we do "drop" girls. After a brother has been dating a girl long enough to have a serious relationship, he buys her a lavalier and presents it to her (he drops the necklace on her...get it??). It's used as a symbol of how serious and strong your relationship is.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IHeartDDD
NC Mu Sweetheart

I was NC Mu's Sweetheart this past school year. Sweethearts at our school mean that the boys choose one senior sorority woman to represent them; I know other schools chose their sweethearts by girlfriends, but I didn't date any of the brothers. I helped with rush events, went to their games, danced in their Greek Week dance, etc. They even held their banquet during my birthday weekend and the new guys gave me presents. It was so fun, and I loved every minute of it.

The boys surprised me one night while I was at dance practice. The president came into the room and told us he had an announcement. I had no idea what was going on and couldn't figure out why the SPE president was at dance practice. 5 seconds later I hear a pounding at the back door, and the rest of the chapter comes in. They were all wearing suits, holding candles, and singing the Sigma Phi Epsilon Sweetheart song. I can tell y'all I was so shocked and I cried my eyes out the whole time. It was the sweetest thing and probably my fondest college memory. I was so proud (and still am) to be Sig Ep's sweetheart.

Y'all are the best guys on this planet and I love you to death!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Olden days

When I was in college - way back when - many of the fraternities had 'little sisters'. It was a kind of "ladies auxiliary" to the guys. They had their own meetings and officers and one of the brothers was the "Golden Heart Chairman" who coordinated between them and active chapter. The Sweetheart was selected from this group each year. Not all of the girls dated Sig Eps, but many did, and they were often around during the week, not just for parties. The national organization even recognized such groups for a short time, and had a "National Sweetheart".

However, reality and legality eventually came together to do away with the practice. The reality is there was contention when the guys had something planned and the girls had something else in mind. Add to that the 'influence' that the girls who were dating Sig Eps had over them and you can see things could get ugly and quickly. The legality issue come from the equality of treatment - or classes of membership based solely on sex. There was concern that a fraternity's status as a single sex association could be in jeopardy, so Sig Ep, and I believe most other fraternities, simply cut out the practice.

The selection of a Sweetheart has continued at many chapters. Usually it honors a lady everyone knows who is dating a brother, or perhaps is a 'belly button' sister to one, or has been somehow helpful to the chapter as a whole. It is a neat tradition and in many ways is all about the best ideals of a fraternity.