GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,267
1 members and 2,266 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Oh I see. I know of a Petitioning Group right now that's working very hard to get chartered this semester, and it's been an uphill climb for them over the past year or so. I would think after all that, if you didn't have love for the frat then there's nothing that could be done for you

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: information please

Quote:
Originally posted by JusSoCrazie
I have gotten inquries but no information...Can you all please give me some information please?
Visit www.apo.org

Also recommend you CALL the National Office and speak with Judy Mitchell, our Director of Chapter Services. She can give you the necessary information and get you hooked up with the appropriate Regional Directory &/or Section Chair.
Section 71 Chair
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gamma_girl52
I was wondering why the process has so many steps? I couldn't imagine Gamma Sig having that many steps towards getting a chapter, but I was interested.

If the answer involves giving me TMI then I understand.
There wer a lot fewer steps back in the 1940s when groups of Boy Scouts returning from the war, formed a local Beta Sigma Alpha wrote the National Office and had one or two visits before they got a charter.

In actuality there are four steps including chartered chapter. (Target is sort of a wish list and doesn't mean there is anyone there.)

Prospect group sort of equals "there are a couple of people at the school who think the fraternity is a good idea who want to farther, but aren't necessarily functioning as a club yet.

Interest group sort of equals "We have our act together to act as a recognize club, service & fellowship are starting to happen."

Petitioning group sort of equals "We are to the point were things should be done the way the chapter is, but we have to figure out a) how to make them work on our campus and b) keep good enough records to make sure the National Office & staff know"

A newly forming group (that isn't an already functioning student group) will go through those steps anyway, these are useful milestones though.

Yes, projects can be "banked", the service project reports at chartering can go all the way back to the group first getting formed.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Randy, I knew you'd explain!

Well I'm excited now seeing that this group is at Petitioning Status now...they are almost done. I've been praying hard for them.

In Gamma Sig we have "Interest Group" to "Colony" to "Chapter" so it's somewhat of the same thing.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks Randy, I knew you'd explain!

Well I'm excited now seeing that this group is at Petitioning Status now...they are almost done. I've been praying hard for them.

In Gamma Sig we have "Interest Group" to "Colony" to "Chapter" so it's somewhat of the same thing.
Which Petitioning Group?

I always tell members of socials that our PGs are equivalent to their Colonies, but for some it gets a little odd. Some of the social greeks have the memebrs of Colonies become brothers, even before the colony gets chapter status, and that doesn't guarantee they will become a chapter...

Randy
Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I can see how that would cause confusion there.
For those that are in GSS colonies, they aren't considered "members" until they are chartered as a chapter. So if the colony falls through, they are out of luck.

For the sake of discretion (and not wanting to put too much business out there) I will keep the name of the school under wraps. But IMO, they are progressing well.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can see how that would cause confusion there.
For those that are in GSS colonies, they aren't considered "members" until they are chartered as a chapter. So if the colony falls through, they are out of luck.
APO as well. Petitioners at a PG that fails are members of the Fraternity, just not brothers. It's sort of like if a pledge leaves school before initiation.

For the sake of discretion (and not wanting to put too much business out there) I will keep the name of the school under wraps. But IMO, they are progressing well. [/QUOTE]
Understood. You can PM me if you want, but remember there is a deadline. PG's are supposed to be chartered within 3 semesters of becoming a PG.

Randy
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueNGold Send a message via Yahoo to BlueNGold
Hey, This is Marvin. This message goes out to people at NCCU trying to start a chapter. I am from Durham, NC and live minutes away from NCCU campus. I can help. I'm a member at NC A&T and if you all need anything email me at Marvelous_Marvin0000@msn.com