GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,058
2 members and 1,056 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 AM
skyler123

Sorority Recruitment 2011 University of Arizona

deleted

Last edited by skyler123; 02-01-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: deleting
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Here, let me google that for you.

http://arizonagreek.orgsync.com/org/pan/racademics

Other than that info, we can't tell you if you would get a bid or not. We don't know you. However, I would do a bit more studying than worrying about recruitment. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler123 View Post
Do I still have a chance of getting a bid as a sophomore at the University of Arizona? Or is my GPA too low? My GPA is a 2.5.
From what I know about recruitment, it is competitive. Your low GPA I think is going to hurt more than being a sophomore.

If you decide to go through recruitment, I would prepare yourself for some heavy cuts due to your grades. While the school may say that the minimum GPA has to be a 2.5, chapters are going to have their own GPA requirement. The first round of cuts tend to be GPA based.

(At least I know they were when I was helping out the chapter at ASU. Their first nights cut list was strictly based on grades, not on what the sisters thought of the PNM's. If the PNM wasn't at the minimum established by the chapter, which can be higher than the national/international organization, they were automatically cut. There were girls cut, who the sisters LOVED but her GPA was below the established minimum).

I don't say this to hurt your feelings or discourage you, but to prepare you for what could possibly happen because of your GPA and not your "grade level" (for lack of better term).

Fall 2010 Chapter/New Member GPAs

Alpha Delta Pi 3.009/2.8
Alpha Epsilon Pi 2.938/2.669
Alpha Phi 3.1326/2.805
Chi Omega 3.342/3.2814
Delta Delta Delta 2.83176/2.6189
Delta Gamma 2.928/2.804
Gamma Phi Beta 3.196/3.113
Kappa Alpha Theta 3.2432/3.04
Kappa Kappa Gamma 3.134/2.8839
Pi Beta Phi 3.062/2.9666
Sigma Kappa 3.018/2.908

The website doesn't have the spring 11 grades up yet.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

You have to do what you think is best for you. You can try to go through this fall, but be prepared for the worst.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely. Consider it a very realistic possibility. I think our Arizona experts can address your concerns better.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

skyler, you aren't getting it. We can't tell you what your chances are. That falls within membership selection, and that's considered sacred and private information to each group. This is not College Confidential. Your odds of getting a bid decline as you get older at a competative school like Arizona. You can go through rush this fall, worst case scenario is you don't get a bid.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
skyler, you aren't getting it. We can't tell you what your chances are. That falls within membership selection, and that's considered sacred and private information to each group. This is not College Confidential. Your odds of getting a bid decline as you get older at a competative school like Arizona. You can go through rush this fall, worst case scenario is you don't get a bid.
Like.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

It's ok. But use the search function on here to read up on Arizona. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site. Best for you to read first as much as you can, and then ask more specific questions. "What are my chances of _______" will never get answered here, at least not to your satisfaction.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

No one can really tell you whether or not your grades alone would limit your options. There could very well be women with much better grades than a 2.5 who will not get bids.

Here's where having personal letters of recommendation *might* be of help to you. If there's a very good reason WHY your freshmen year GPA is low in comparison to how well you did in HS (i.e. you had a serious illness that caused you to miss classes but not enough to get course forgiveness) or you attempted a very difficult schedule (for me that would be taking calc and chem in the same semester !) an alum who KNOWS you and can vouch for your level of seriousness and potential as a student *might* be able to help you out. Put some effort into getting those rec letters and getting them to ALL the chapters and I mean chop chop. Time is of the essence.

Other than that, there's no reason why you shouldn't go ahead and give it a shot. Just be prepared that it may not happen, and that you might have to get that GPA up and try again in the spring or next fall.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Last edited by crescent&pearls; 07-27-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

No sorority at UofA is going to give a bid to someone with a 2.5.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_down View Post
I hate to say it, but there is your answer. bear_down is going to know better than any of us because she's there. I went there "back in the day".

Now, I do agree with crescent&pearls when she spoke about why your GPA could be low. If that happened to you (like an illness) and that is the reason your GPA is in the toliet, do what she suggested, but be prepared. There might be a chapter willing to take a chance on you, but emphasis on might and second NO ONE on this board can GUARANTEE this.

As for getting your grades up and rushing as a junior. I'm not going to lie to you and say that it will be tough as chapters tend to prefer freshmen (4 years). I have heard of chapters, at ASU, taking girls who are juniors. But that was at ASU and I wouldn't consider ASU recruitment as competitive as UA recruitment.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by ASUADPi; 07-27-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_down View Post
Amen.

No amount of "explaining" is going to overcome a 2.5, regardless of the major/alleged or perceived coursework difficulty/recommendations from alumnae/any other explanation or excuse or reason/blahblahblahblahblah.

It is what it is.

ETA: all eleven chapters are at or well above total. Spring recruitment is not, generally, an option, at the UofA. And don't even suggest "maybe another chapter will open and you can go for a colony." That's not happening either. OTOH, if you go up the road to ASU (although I can't for the life of me imagine anyone doing that),they DO have TWO colonies opening up, along with a re-establishment, in the next five years. *jealous*
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 07-27-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm certainly not advocating that alumnae make "excuses" for anyone's "toiletish" GPA. The possibility that you may "tank" your GPA in your freshman and/or soph year is one the very best reasons to go through recruitment at the first opportunity- as a first semester frosh when your HS GPA will be what's on the table and probably closest to the norm for the pool of pnms you are being compared to.

That said, you could end up with a 2.5 cum GPA at the end of freshman year because you have AP credits, which means you have credits earned with no grade points, added to a semester where you didn't take a lot of classes and had a freshman reality check when first semester grades came in. If you didn't complete some classes and got an incomplete or a withdraw, you have units attempted but no grade points earned. If you partied night and day or spent the spring shoe shopping instead of going to class, I feel no sympathy for your situation at all. There ARE situations that are worthy of special consideration. I personally want to give each pnm careful consideration, looking at the total package. Sometimes personal recs do shed some light on what may not come across on a rush application and a 30 minute open house party. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen... but nobody really can say for sure.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler123 View Post
So should I just give up all hope of every being in a sorority?
We can't say "all" or "never." But the fact is, there are many women rushing who are just as attractive as you, with just as nice of personalities, and who have similar lists of extracurricular activities - BUT they have higher, sometimes much higher, GPAs.

Sororities are about well rounded women, and scholarship is a major component. If you have 3 of the 4 things a sorority wants and someone else has 4 of the 4, they're going to pick the one with the 4 of 4.

If you were at a less competitive school, it might not hurt you as much, but you're not. You are where you are. Go ahead and go through rush, but don't be shocked if all the groups cut you due to your grades.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you gotten any recs at all? I don't even know if they would help at this point, but if you haven't even started on recs either, I would imagine it would be another mark against you. (People more familiar with the school, please correct me if I'm wrong.)