GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,349
2 members and 2,347 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry to hear your news. I know it must be so hard, and I only wish that Floor Length held even a little interest for you.
Keep positive and hopefully if you kill it on grades this semester you can spring rush with success.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely encourage you to keep up with Alpha Phi's colonization. As a new colony coming to FSU they will certainly be looking for a bounty of upperclassmen to help lead the new chapter. From the sound of this thread it seems like you have great spirit and passion for sorority life and if you go through the process I'm sure Alpha Phi's nationals will see that when they interview you, if you so choose to go through with trying to be a founding member. In addition to your enthusiasm, keep those grades up and get involved in other campus activies to boost your resume for next time. You'll only be more prepared!

I'm really sorry things didn't work out this recruitment but keep your chin up and look forward to the future. FSU is a great school! My sister and brother-in-law are both starting their MBA programs their this fall, so I sort of feel a new attachment for rooting for this school!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Im so sorry Try not to stress about the "why's" and "how's" right now. Definitely check out Alpha Phi..being a colony member is so special! Lots of luck to you during the next few weeks..update us on how you're doing as well!!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I'm so sorry it didn't work out the way you had envisioned...but like others have said (and like you have said), DEFINITELY check out the colonization. I joined DG though colonization as a Junior and it was an AMAZING experience. Whenever I have the opportunity to go back to visit, everyone always oohs and ahhs and makes a big deal that a "FOUNDING SISTER" is visiting. And with things like Face Book, it's been neat to watch my DG family grow (and for them it's neat to be able to trace their G-G-G-G-G-G-G Big back to the founding of the chapter).
Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I love your post!^^
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

ditto on exploring alpha phi's colonization. i was the founding general advisor for a nearby colony and even for an alumna it was an amazing experience! please give alpha phi a chance-you'll never regret it!!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey! I'm just letting you know you're not alone... I was released from recruitment today. I wish I had a house left... but I guess it's not meant to be! Rush was so competitive this year and I know plenty of other great girls that were released or dropped on their own.

Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you girls I think during formal recruitment it is hard for some women to shine. My advice to you would be to get involved on campus. Join some organizations and try to do some leadership positions. Also, if A Phi is coming to colonize that would be a great opportunity to check out. Good luck to both Pink Palm Tree and PNM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi

I want to give a ditto on checking out Alpha Phi. We have a great sisterhood and rich heritage!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to chime in here...I have known several young ladies (pnms) up at FSU with super grades and packed with a resume that would kill. They were all released. Yes, two were sophomores, but they had large leadership positions on campus and strong grades. They were also very pretty girls. I just don't buy the get the "resume" packed anymore. Things need to change when it comes to recruitment. I am crossing my fingers Alpha Phi will help and pick up some girls...amazing ones at that, but year after year this will still happen. Something needs to really be done.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey PinkPalmTree and PNM FSU,
Just wanted to let you know that my niece went through formal recruitment at UA and it turned out sort of the way that yours did at FSU. She decided to do the colonization of Alpha Phi there and absolutely loved it! The process is NOTHING like the formal recruitment. It sounds like each of you would be an asset to Alpha Phi!! My daughter is at FSU and plans on being interviewed by them too! Maybe you all will be sisters!!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never understood the whole upperclassmen issue. There were several in my pledge class back in the day and it just doesn't make sense not to take an outstanding girl just because she's not a freshman. So many quality girls don't find a place. What a minus that is to the entire system.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I would have said it's because it's a numbers game. If you pledge more than just freshmen you have too many girls graduating at the same time and it will eventually throw you off. But with the houses so far over total, I think you're right. They could take 5 stellar upperclassmen and what would be the penalty? Not much!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:15 AM

The rationale with prefering freshmen is that theoretically, a freshman PNM = 4 years of participation/dues whereas a junior has 2 or 3.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hear that it did't work out I know it feels awful right now, but hang in there. I agree wholeheartedly that you should look into Alpha Phi, colonizing could be an incredibly rewarding experience. I believe everything happens for a reason, and while it may not be clear now, maybe you were just meant to take a different path. Hang in there and keep your chin up!