GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,356
1 members and 1,355 guests
John

Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a new fraternity

I was just initiated to Kappa Sigma but I am Transferring to a new school where they don't have a chapter there. My question is would i be allowed to join a different fraternity like Pike?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I don't understand NPC's I ask this question. Can you not charter a chapter there since if you are a member?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
Because I don't understand NPC's I ask this question. Can you not charter a chapter there since if you are a member?
FYI - Kappa Sig and Pike are fraternities, so NPC rules don't apply.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
FYI - Kappa Sig and Pike are fraternities, so NPC rules don't apply.

Again learn something new everyday (that NPC only applies to sororities), thus the reason why I don't even say much in this threads.I guess I could have wiki'd. Thus is the life.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj34 View Post
I was just initiated to Kappa Sigma but I am Transferring to a new school where they don't have a chapter there. My question is would i be allowed to join a different fraternity like Pike?
No.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kappa Sigma is in expansion mode, you never know if they're looking to colonize at your new school. Though they may be kind of cranky if you let them know you were considering leaving them for Pike.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Short answer is no. Like was said before, try to see if you can start a chapter of Kappa Sigma at your new school.

Long answer is maybe, but not likely.

ETA: There is a process you need to go through, and even if you do there is no guarantee that another fraternity can or will take you.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 04-16-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Kappa Sigma is in expansion mode
I don't think VS meant this to be snarky but it made me smirk.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me or have we had a run on people wanting to change groups because they are transfering this year?????
Old 04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
Again learn something new everyday (that NPC only applies to sororities), thus the reason why I don't even say much in these threads.

LOL. Me too Blu, some of the rules in NPH are like death sentences in NPHC! I look, and learn. I find the differences very interesting though!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, Kappa Sigma isn't part of the NIC. So I guess you technically could join Pike at your new school. Pike might have rules on whether or not you could join, based on whether you got a signed letter from Kappa Sigma releasing you from membership.

Though most groups won't take anyone who left another group, even if it was on a different campus.

I personally think it's shitty if you're considering leaving your fraternity, rather than staying active through it as an alumni at a different school.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
Well, Kappa Sigma isn't part of the NIC. So I guess you technically could join Pike at your new school.
I don't think this would matter. I'm betting the Pikes at his new school have no clue that KS isn't an NIC member. And even if they did - it's still the same kind of fraternity.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think this would matter. I'm betting the Pikes at his new school have no clue that KS isn't an NIC member. And even if they did - it's still the same kind of fraternity.
I would tend to agree. At least not actives - some of the alumni may know.