GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,143
0 members and 2,143 guests
No Members online

Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Question rushing twice

I rushed last year and it was something I decided to do really last minute. I wasn't happy with the houses I had towards the 3rd round. I was trying to keep an open mind so I stayed until I got a bid. Unforchuantly I didn't really feel like I was at home with that house so I dropped before I was initiated. I know I am eligible to rush again my sophomore year and is something I want to do. I just want to know if it shows up that I had previously got a bid the year before to all the chapters when I rush again? I know that might look bad that I previously rushed.I really want to be in a sorority so any advice in rushing my second time.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that any Panhellenics keep records of someone who depledges--your old group might--but at the SEC schools I went to, many sororities knew ahead of time anyway who had. Maybe it was due to gossip but they knew.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe542010 View Post
I rushed last year and it was something I decided to do really last minute. I wasn't happy with the houses I had towards the 3rd round. I was trying to keep an open mind so I stayed until I got a bid. Unforchuantly I didn't really feel like I was at home with that house so I dropped before I was initiated. I know I am eligible to rush again my sophomore year and is something I want to do. I just want to know if it shows up that I had previously got a bid the year before to all the chapters when I rush again? I know that might look bad that I previously rushed.I really want to be in a sorority so any advice in rushing my second time.
You can count on someone in all of the chapters knowing. Nothing is really very private anymore. It might hurt you, but there is nothing you can do about that now. Do NOT bring it up at any chapter that you visit. I sincerely doubt they will bring it up. You can ask (and I would definitely recommend) that you skip the party at the house that you depledged. No need to go there.

Having said that, are you better prepared this year? Do you have recommendations in place? Were your freshman grades really good, at minimum above 3.0? How are you different from the last time that you rushed? On many, many campuses, your first rush is the most successful.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you skip any parties? I thought on most campuses you had to attend each on your schedule.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

There are several factors to consider here.

First, how long did you give your house a chance? Nowadays I see girls who don't really "work it" in terms of giving a chapter a chance. Bonding doesn't always take place immediately -- there are even girls who pledged a house they DID WANT who say they didn't feel at home until after the first semester. With initiation done so early now, I wonder how many girls expecte an immediate connection which doesn't always happen. That may not be your case, but if it was, I'd think long and hard about what could be different this round.

Second, some chapters have a "once cut, always cut" policy so if they cut you last year, they will cut you this year. Don't know about the chapters on your campus, but you should be aware that this could happen.

Third, as thetalady said, are you prepared this year? All the things she said are really important.

Last, how competitive is the Greek system on your campus? If it's really competitive, then sophomores have a more challenging time getting a bid since you're rushing against so many freshmen.

And one ore thing - I'm not sure if you can skip the party at the house you pledged as someone asked earlier. I think if you don't go to a party, you get dropped from rush since it would be a violation of the rules.

Last edited by NYCMS; 07-05-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Can you skip any parties? I thought on most campuses you had to attend each on your schedule.
Skip parties and you will find yourself entirely excused from recruitment.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Skip parties and you will find yourself entirely excused from recruitment.
Thanks, that’s what I thought.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Thanks, that’s what I thought.
Really? I thought you were able to be excused from a house that you quit. Of course, you can't just skip any party without getting it approved in advance. So sorry if I gave bad advice.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Really? I thought you were able to be excused from a house that you quit. Of course, you can't just skip any party without getting it approved in advance. So sorry if I gave bad advice.
It's been decades since it happened at my chapter, but if memory serves correct, the former pledge came into the house with her rushee group and then was quietly seated in a side room - easy to do since everyone was high energy and it was crowded so I don't think anyone noticed. When the rushees began leaving, she slipped into the group going out the door.

I really was sorry that she de-pledged - she was a stellar gal - and I was very happy when she got into the house she loved - which was Theta!

Last edited by NYCMS; 07-05-2018 at 08:15 PM.