GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,576
0 members and 1,576 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Lord... here we go again. (Keep in mind that my mother passed away 3 weeks ago--suddenly getting sick from complications of Rheumatoid Arthritis, she was only 58 and I'm doing ok--but definitely not great!)

We had planned this trip to see the in-laws in Virginia for about 6 months, so we decided to go ahead and go. I actually thought some nice mountain air could be good. WTH was I thinking? Within 20 minutes of getting there my FIL was talking about a hospital he toured--not a big deal until he starts going into great detail about the room where they do the autopsies and how they keep the bodies. My hubby quickly interjecting telling him this was not a good topic to discuss right now, but he continued going on and on about the "meat lockers"... it was awful.
The whole time we were there FIL never bothered to say he was sorry for my loss, anything. Mostly they would quickly change the subject whenever I wanted to talk about my mom.
But on the third day there, my MIL took the cake. She was asking how I was doing and how my dad is doing... and asked if we were going to do any grief counseling. I told her that a group would be starting at our church in Sept. and we were all thinking of going. She then told me she sure hoped my dad would go, because he might meet someone and get remarried. My jaw hit the floor. It's been 3 freaking weeks.
By the time we left all of the bitching, moaning, and complaining had done me in. (Because other than watch PBS that is all they do.) I cried for four hours straight after leaving there. We decided to stop in Myrtle Beach and spend two nights before coming home. That was my saving grace. It was wonderful. (I booked the hotel on Hotwire and got a $350 a night 2 bedroom suite at a 4.5 star hotel for $140 a night. It was amazeballs.)

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Summer, so sorry about your mother. I cannot even imagine how you feel. My condolences to you.

After reading this I am convinced your husband is adopted or was dropped off on a doorstep. How in the world did he become who he is today being raised by people that insensitive? Sorry for your ordeal.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
^^ Summer, so sorry about your mother. I cannot even imagine how you feel. My condolences to you.

After reading this I am convinced your husband is adopted or was dropped off on a doorstep. How in the world did he become who he is today being raised by people that insensitive? Sorry for your ordeal.
Ditto, ditto! Sheez!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post

I have no idea. If he didn't look so much like them I'd be convinced he was adopted too! LOL

Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 PM

I made a fundamental mistake in dealing with the in-laws ... spending most of Thanksgiving weekend with them.

They must be schizophrenic. One minute they're sweet as can be, the next minute they're hell on earth. They took DH and me out to two nice dinners for our birthdays, even though our birthdays are 5 days apart and near the holidays. Then, one evening, I was coughing, and FIL said, "You gonna die?!" - in a cheerful tone. Thanks a lot, asshole. I lost my mother last year and it still hurts like hell, and he "jokes" (so he claims) about how he wants me to die??
Old 12-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Please accept my sympathy, summer, on your mother's passing, and on having such idiot in-laws.

One day, I'll get the nerve to write about my mil, but it's not going to be tonight. Karma has been good to me, and I will be kind!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Please accept my sympathy, summer, on your mother's passing, and on having such idiot in-laws.

One day, I'll get the nerve to write about my mil, but it's not going to be tonight. Karma has been good to me, and I will be kind!
Thanks... I've actually invited the inlaws down just before Christmas. They will be here from the 18th until the 22nd. On the 23rd we will be going to Disney until the 29th. I wonder what the hell I was thinking! I think I'm feeling sorry for them because their other son is having the first grandchild very soon--should be here no later than the 18th. But he won't allow his parents to be there or to meet the baby for a few months. And I think that is so awful that I've actually got sympathy for them. Should be interesting.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh where to start... on Monday the hubby received an e-mail from his parents where they flat out stated that they don't like me, have never liked me, and never will like me. They were very disappointed that we are making the guest room into a kid's room (we are in the adoption process) and keeping our craft room. (We chose to transform the guest room because the craft room has a doggie door--and what kiddos don't like to do crafts?) Of course, the hubs showed me, and also called them and lost it on them. He told them that if they wanted a relationship they needed to sincerely apologize. Well apparently their hate for me is more than their desire for a relationship with me, because no apology has come. (Which is really sad!)
It's so out of left field-- I haven't seen or heard from them since Christmas when I invited them down. Their other son had just had a baby and didn't want them at his house, and kept them from meeting the baby for a couple of months. So I felt sorry for them, and had them down. My mom had just died and they weren't concerned for me at all and didn't seem to care that it was a bad Christmas for me.
I say good riddance, but my hubby is feeling really sad and rejected.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:12 PM

My husband is currently on the phone with his mother.

He and I have precious little time to spend together these days. I work full-time and my commute recently quadrupled (40 minutes each way - a mostly pleasant drive, but still, that's 80 minutes of commute time + 9 hours at the office, and God help me if the server craps out and I have to stay late and fix it). He runs his own business, and, although he works out of the house, he's on the road a fair bit.

So here we were, relaxing at home on a quiet Sunday afternoon, when the phone rings. It's the monster-in-law. She had some inane question about her computer. And, of course, once she gets her son on the phone, she won't let him go.

AND, my husband insists on putting her on speaker. Her voice is like nails on chalkboard. My eardrums may implode.

She couldn't have called him tomorrow while I'm at work???
Old 06-07-2015, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
My husband is currently on the phone with his mother.

He and I have precious little time to spend together these days. I work full-time and my commute recently quadrupled (40 minutes each way - a mostly pleasant drive, but still, that's 80 minutes of commute time + 9 hours at the office, and God help me if the server craps out and I have to stay late and fix it). He runs his own business, and, although he works out of the house, he's on the road a fair bit.

So here we were, relaxing at home on a quiet Sunday afternoon, when the phone rings. It's the monster-in-law. She had some inane question about her computer. And, of course, once she gets her son on the phone, she won't let him go.

AND, my husband insists on putting her on speaker. Her voice is like nails on chalkboard. My eardrums may implode.

She couldn't have called him tomorrow while I'm at work???
Ooooh... that's a RULE at our house. If you are going to have the In-Laws on speaker then you have to take the call somewhere I am not--the bedroom or go outside. We went through this whole "boundary" setting thing. It has not really helped, but it is one rule I am adamant about.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 PM

The in-laws are flying up from Florida to New York tomorrow.

I have placed an item in my calendar for this Saturday. It reads: Day with the in-laws - KILL ME NOW.

And they are inflicting themselves on us again the following Wednesday evening.

I tolerate them because I love my husband. But MIL thinks she is the matriarch of the family (her mother passed away 3 years ago, and good riddance) and thinks she can control us. Too bad for her that I inherited two stubborn streaks - Polish and Irish - and I won't put up with any of her BS.

But fair is fair. My husband tolerates my father because he loves me. The stick up my father's ass has a stick up its ass. My mother was an amazing woman, and I think my husband genuinely loved her as his MIL, but she has passed away.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My MIL is nuts also. I have loved reading this entire thread whilst recovering from a bad cold. When told we were expecting our first child ( her first grandchild) the first words out of her mouth were "I hope its a boy, girls are horrible". She has two sons, no daughters. We are now the proud parents of two college aged daughters who never gave us a moments worry. She never showed any interest in them at all, going to so far as to befriend the son of a friend. Taking him places while ignoring our daughters. My friend put a stop to it fairly quickly when she realized how much it hurt our DD's. She has hated me from the beginning and my husband finally put a stop to it and her several years ago. We have been very happily married for 27 years... After a 2 year hiatus, I felt sorry for her and invited her back into our lives only to have her do the same things (What was I thinking?). She constantly put down our daughters both of whom are excellent students, kind, polite and a delight to every teacher, boss or coach they have ever come into contact with. Somehow, she just can't see it and puts them down at every opportunity.
Even after I tried to do the kind thing, she STILL belittled me calling me every name in the book. DH finally decided enough was enough. I sure do love him for it. It's been 6 MIL free months and we are loving every minute of it. It was a hard lesson to learn, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do to keep your sanity.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

It's so fitting that this thread popped up today. Even though I don't have a MIL yet, my bf's mom is a piece of work, and she managed to piss me off once again today. I have to come back and tell the whole long story sometime, but I don't even have the energy right now. Ugh.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-23-2015, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Way waay back in this thread I wrote about my in laws in a not so nice way. They were (and one continues to be) the nastiest, most bigoted and snobbish people. I said that that whatever they did I would do the opposite.

So...Mr. Ellebud junior got married last year. The negative: planning the wedding was more difficult because her family is observant Jewish. We are reform/secular Jews. The wedding was beautiful. My dil comes over all the time. I puppysit for them. We have dinners and lunches. She wonderful and loving. I/we love her.

And if I didn't love her, I would love her because my son loves her.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
It looks like I am somewhat lucky in this area. Mr. TCSparky and I have been living together for 15 years. We may or may not actually get married. His parents live 40 minutes away, but I only see them 2-3 times a year. He sees them every 1-2 months. His mother is a total nightmare. She is super-controlling, and thinks that she knows EVERYTHING there is to know about everything. She is also extremely rude and condescending. To everyone, not just me.

His dad is a total doormat, and never says or does anything to rock the boat. He has to live with her, after all. When he was in the hospital a couple of months back, Mr. TCSparky went to visit. His dad had a private room, and while Mr. TC was visiting, he needed to use the restroom, and asked his dad if it was OK for him to use the one in his room. It was fine by him, but his mother stated that no, she did not think that was appropriate, and told him that if he went in there, she would call hospital security and have him removed! He didn't speak to her for a month after that.

When we had only been together a few years, she was trying to fix him up with the daughter of a friend, and frequently makes references to him "finding someone nice." However, that doesn't stop her from contacting me when she needs help with her grandchildren's schools!!

When he goes to see them, I do something else (TC has a sorority meeting, TC has something going on at work, TC is out of town), so I'm spared. A couple of times a year, I'll go with him to meet them at a restaurant.