GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,229
0 members and 2,229 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Advice for chapters in Recruitment

I'm hoping that this thread could be a resource for all the Recruitment Chairs out there from Kappas who have been there! Feel free to post anything that DID work and anything that DIDN"T work.

Some random thoughts from my experience include:
1) If you run into a NPM where the conversation doesn't easily flow, try the FIRE approach: ask her about
Familiy
Interests
Relationships
Educational goals/background
2) Smile the whole time
3) Don't "stare" at a NPM. Take breaks in your eye contact to look at approaching sisters, food being passed around, items on the wall you might be pointing out, etc.
4) Wear something interesting or with a good story behind it that a NPM can ask you about.
5) Find something you both have in common, even if it is really a simple thing like you both have two brothers and laugh about it together.
6) Sing songs that are kappa words put to POPULAR music so that you seem up-to-date. It's ok to have more traditional stuff for Prefs, but otherwise try to stick to a more current sound.
7) Don't dress in such a manner that a NPM would have to avert their eyes from your chest. It's just tacky for recruitment. Save it for the mixers.
8) Talk about what Kappa could do for her, such as the Rose McGill fund, scholarship opportunities, test files (if you have them), study groups, big sis/little sis, philanthropy interests, etc.
9) Introduce her to a Kappa in her area of study that she can connect with on a ongoing basis even if she doesn't pledge kappa. You never know if she'll have a friend who will go Kappa because of it. :-)
10) When the NPM is leaving, make sure to end on a positive note about what you thought about her. "You're so fun, I hope I'll see you again!" or "Thank you for making this round so great for me." or whatever.

I hope this gets the ball rolling and helps someone somewhere!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a great idea! I am just getting started with my role as Membership chair, so I don't have too much to add yet, but hopefully I will as the semester progresses. This is a really great idea though! Your suggestions were very helpful! Good luck to everyone else with recruitment!
Caitlin