GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,364
1 members and 1,363 guests
John

Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the post was awhile ago, but for any of you still looking for an example of an accountability system. This is my chapter's. I used ideas that I found here, some that we already had, and my own ideas, to come up with this new way. You also need to make sure that you dont break chapter or national bylaws for your organization, as that is a problem that I am having for a part of it, and now ammendments to the bylaws need to happen. Hope this helps you out!

All members must earn 75% of the merit points, with the exception of seniors, who need to only earn 50% in their last semester, each month (As stated in the chapter Bylaws)

All members must attend 2 sisterhood events, 2 philanthropy events (one being internal), and 2 intramurals each semester. (As stated in the chapter Bylaws)

All events will be divided into three areas: gold, dark blue, and light blue:
  • Gold events are defined as chapter retreats, perfection week activities, recruitment week, chapter goal setting & officer training, any ceremony, chapter meetings, and any other event deemed as a gold event by the executive board or the appropriate chair.
  • Dark Blue events are defined as sisterhood events, alumnae events, philanthropy events (internal and external), new member meetings (if applicable), new member events (if applicable), house beautification days, Big/Lil revealing, and any other event deemed as dark blue by the executive board or the appropriate chair.
  • Light Blue events are defined as socials, intramurals, semi formals, grab-a-dates, formal, date functions, Homecoming events, Greek Week events, Panhellenic meetings, Panhellenic events, Greek Student Success, and any other event deemed as light blue by the executive board or the appropriate chair.

These color designations require a certain percentage of the total points from that color to be acquired each semester:

·Gold events: 100%
·Dark Blue events: 50%
·Light Blue events: 20%

All Gold events require a written excuse to the Recording Secretary or the appropriate officer 24 hours before the event, unless another date/time is specified. Work is not a valid excuse for any Gold event.

If an excuse is given within the appropriate time, no merit points will be awarded, and the missed points will need to be made up with bonus points.
If a chapter meeting is missed, with an excuse, that member must read and sign the minutes from the meeting, (which will be placed in the recording secretary’s box Mon-Sat) in order to receive half the merit points for that meeting.

If an excuse is not given within the appropriate time, that member will receive five (5) demerits, which will need to be made up with bonus points. (Special situations will be considered on a case by case basis)
If a chapter meeting is missed, without an excuse, that member must read and sign the minutes from the meeting, (which will be placed in the recording secretary’s box Mon-Sat) or that member will receive an additional five (5) demerits, which will need to be made up with bonus points.

If a chapter retreat, perfection week activity, recruitment day, chapter goal setting/officer training, or ceremony is missed, without an excuse, the member will be assessed a $25 donation to the Housing Corporation Board for each event missed (as stated in the bylaws), in addition to demerits.

No event can be deemed a gold event without at least two (2) weeks notice by the officer at a chapter meeting. Emails do not constitute proper notice.

Bonus points can only be used toward Gold events. Verification for Bonus points must be turned in by required date to be considered.

Each month the recording secretary will review the total merit points available, and evaluate each members standing. Any member deemed to not be in good standing will then be placed on merit point probation. The terms of merit point probation are outlined within the chapter bylaws.
The last month of each semester (November & April), the total points for the semester for each member will be determined. If the member does not have the required percentage for each color designation, that member will be placed on merit point probation.

At the end of each semester, the recording secretary will total up the merit points acquired by each new member class. The new member class with the highest amount of merit points per member, as well as completed the percentages for each color, will receive an award, which will be designated each semester by the recording secretary.

If budget allows, the member who has completed the percentages for each color, and has the highest amount of merit points at the end of the semester, will also receive an award, at the discretion of the recording secretary.

Merit Point Events and the Respective Point Value
Chapter Meetings 20

Chapter Retreats 20

Perfection Week 10 (per day)

Recruitment 15 (per day)

Goal Setting/Officer Training 10

Ceremonies 15

Initiation 20
Any other event given Gold designation 15

Sisterhood Events 10

Internal Philanthropy Events 10

External Philanthropy Events 5

Alumnae Events 5

New Member Meetings (if applicable) 10

New Member Events (if applicable) 5

House Beautification 5

Big/Lil Revealing (if applicable) 5

Any other event given Dark Blue designation 7

Socials 5
Semiformals/Grab-a-Dates/Date Functions 5

Formal 10

Homecoming Events 5 (per event)

Greek Week Events 5 (per event)

Panhellenic Meetings 5

Panhellenic Events 5

Greek Student Success 5

Any other event given Light Blue Designation 5

Bonus Points
GPA from the previous term:
3.5-3.9 7
3.4-3.0 5
2.9-2.7 2

Chapter Dues paid by the 10th EVERY month 10

Holding an office 7

Chairing an event 5

Participation in an external philanthropy/ 3
Homecoming/Greek Week event

Holding a position in Panhellenic/Greek Council 5

Holding an office for any Greek related event 5
(TOTOGS/Greek Week/Homecoming/GSS/etc)

Participation in an outside organization 3

Holding an office in an outside organization 5

Working:
30+ hours per week 10
20-29 hours per week 7
10-19 hours per week 5
Under 10 hours per week 3
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 AM

My chapter also utilizes a point system. Each event is worth a certain # of points:

*100 points: Initiation/NM ceremonies, I-Weekend activites (per day), Refinement Week (per day), Formal Recruitment (per day),Monthly Formal Meeting, Internal philanthropies. These are basically your top priority events.

*75 points: Badgewear Meeting, Big/Little Week (per day), Big/Little Revealing, ALL external philanthropies, large group COBs, Sequence Meetings (meeting with the girls in your class)

*50 points: Agenda Meeting (usually after holiday breaks-all you have to do is sign in, take an agenda, and leave), Letterwear Meeting (casual), small group COBs.

*10 points BONUS:
Any Sisterhood (we don't make them mandatory since everyone will come b/c they're fun, attending Panhellenic Council.

The chapter gets a calendar at the beginning of every month. Anything on it has point value. If something comes up that is not on the calendar, it can only be given a 10 point value. It can only be made a 100 or 75 point event with 2 WEEKS NOTICE and an announcement @ chapter meeting.

Each member must make 85% of total points for each month in order to remain in good standing & have certain privileges. Seniors in their LAST semester are only required to make 75%.

Excuses

Excuses for 100 point events need to be sent 2 weeks in advance. Work is not an excuse for these events. The only acceptable ones are severe illness, family death, or class.

Excuses for all other events must be sent a week in advance. Work is an acceptable excuse for these events, as well as illness, family death, or class.

If you are EXCUSED from an event, you RECEIVE points. If you DO NOT submit an excuse, you DO NOT RECEIVE points. If you send in an excuse, and the Secretary emails you and says you are not excused, you ARE EXPECTED to be at the event. If you are not, you GET NO POINTS.

Failure to make points:

(consecutive)

1st month: Warning. Meet with Secretary to discuss participation issues.
2nd month : Loss of one social event for the semester.
3rd month: Loss of ALL social privileges, inability to take a Little Sister.
4th month: Your membership is in jeopardy

Obviously, this is not the case if you have extenuating circumstances. For example, my roomie's twin got in a car accident and took a semester off. But this system is in place for those girls who don't show up and don't excuse themselves.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a point system that is standard among all chapters. There are spaces to add activities that are specific to each campus, but the general point system has become standardized.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

BS, I do not know how NPCs do it, but We are required to have a calendar of Events for if not a Semester at least a year.

It is in there in black and white.

If it is there at least a Semester, it should be. If Some are working part time jobs, or going to classes then they should be requried to attend.

If they can not attend required fuctions with above reasons, then they should be not allowed to go to social functions.

Your decission.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You crack me up.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I learned that motivation is the key. Our organization had problems with service event attendance and philanthropy project participation... but when the parties rolled around they were always there =)

I would suggest creating some sort of awareness newsletter via email or at meetings about why attending events is not only good for the organization but also for each individual.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The first things to look at are:
1. Are the events just crappy, or are they fun?
2. Are they scheduled to avoid classes, exams, major athletic events or theatrical productions?
3. Is two weeks notice given (for those that have jobs)?

Last edited by ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl; 05-28-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was VP of my chapter in 04, I made monthly calendars. I also sent out e-mails with important announcements from each exec member and upcoming events after every chapter meeting. It seemed to help as far as communication goes. If they at least know when everything is, there's really no excuse if they just plain don't show up.

As far as merit points go, we've come up with several different methods over the years, but none of them really seemed to stick.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I also remembered that when I was a collegian, we started having trouble with attendance, especially at socials with fraternities. What we ended up doing was this:
Since every event required a majority vote, we set it up so you voted by signing up to go to the party. If you signed up for the party, it was mandatory for you to go or else you were fined. If you didn't sign up, it was a "no" vote and you weren't required to go. If not enough women signed up to make the party feasible, then we didn't have it. It worked pretty well from what I can recall because people only voted yes if they really planned on attending rather than just raising their hand without thinking about it.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy on our calendar is red on our calendar. Do you use the red, yellow and green system (red is mandatory, yellow is optional but becomes red if you sign up for it, green is completely optional)? Going to a philanthropy event is about as important as recruitment in my chapter. As far as sisterhoods, they are all yellow but it's required that each sister go to at least 1/2 of the scheduled sisterhoods. We used to have a big problem with lack of attendance to sisterhood events, but once we got bigger, it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. I still don't understand why there are always the ones who only come to the mandatory events. Why wouldn't you want to go to the fun stuff too?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

im the standards chair for our chapter and we utilize a points system.
at the beginning of the month, all sisters receive everything that is mandatory and they are expected to meet 90% of all of the points.
sisters are also allowed to turn in 'extra' points to make up for points that they may have lost, and for the chance to win a prize by having the most extra points.

we also fine 5.00/point for events like founder's day, initiation, recruitment, and retreats.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Idea, use the KISS principle. "Keep it simple stupid."

Make it plain and easy.

If you cannot do the work then you do not party!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I think Bluefish81 hit the nail on the head. Chances are the chapter is overprogramming. When membership doesn't want to participate, that shows that leadership is not in touch with the membership. Leadership need to refocus their efforts on making events fun which will increase participation. No point system or penalty system is going to work if people truely are not interested. The key is making them interested by re-recruiting your chapter.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Eventhough we can not force people to do the service they signed up for (by joing the sorority) like Tom Said about the parties. If a member does not attend X amount of service events then they will not get into the party for free. When my chapter used that people began completing service more often. It is sad that those type tactice have to be used. I am not sure what all is intailed with social probation, but maybe that would be an idea.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We're thinking about going back to our points system as well. The new girls coming in won't know the different, but I'm worried about the older members complaining.

Will adding a points system make events (even the fun ones) almost a chore that has to be done in order to attend the social events??