GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,270
0 members and 1,270 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope she's ok.

I wish kids understood alcohol CAN be dangerous and would give themselves a limit.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post

I hope she's ok.

I wish kids understood alcohol CAN be dangerous and would give themselves a limit.
Update:

http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2010...008305371.html

From the above ^ article:

". . . the University of Texas Deans of Students Office has . . . launched an investigation into the incidents. The two girls had reportedly participated in pledging activities for a sorority prior to being found unconscious . . . . "
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Update:

http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2010...008305371.html

From the above ^ article:

". . . the University of Texas Deans of Students Office has . . . launched an investigation into the incidents. The two girls had reportedly participated in pledging activities for a sorority prior to being found unconscious . . . . "
That's just so sad.

I have no sympathy for that kind of hazing whether it's in a GLO or other organization/team (if it was a result of hazing, and two girls in the same situation makes me think it was). I don't see myself ever encouraging someone to get alcohol poisoning for "fun". (And that's from someone who had her fair share of alcohol related shenanigans back in the day.)

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
That's just so sad.

I have no sympathy for that kind of hazing whether it's in a GLO or other organization/team (if it was a result of hazing, and two girls in the same situation makes me think it was). I don't see myself ever encouraging someone to get alcohol poisoning for "fun". (And that's from someone who had her fair share of alcohol related shenanigans back in the day.)
They drank too much during bid day festivities. It's not like they were forced or hazed. Everyone knows who they are and what their affiliation is. Pretty embarrassing for everyone involved.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
They drank too much during bid day festivities. It's not like they were forced or hazed. Everyone knows who they are and what their affiliation is. Pretty embarrassing for everyone involved.
I can see how it would be embarrassing, considering -- among other things -- the Unanimous Agreement ( "Each College Panhellenic Association shall prohibit the use of alcoholic beverages in membership recruitment and Bid Day activities.")

Still, I'm glad that concerned people called for help. Better to have some embarrassment than a serious injury or death.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I wanted to bump this thread for all you girls leaving home for the first time. I have been following a very sad case here in Louisiana of a senior at University of Louisiana who was abducted and murdered in May. This case has been heartbreaking for so many people in the community. I did not know her although my son had met her a few times. I guess since I have a daughter the same age it hit very close to home. Girls please do not ever go out a night by yourselves. I know your parents have taught you all the safety rules, maybe you carry your little can of mace etc. But honestly no one can prepare you for coming in contact with a psycho. Most of us just will not ever understand how that kind of persons mind works.
I hate to bee Debbie Downer at this time of year when we are excited about recruitment and going to college but please, please, please be careful out there.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Especially at first, be cautious. Don't go back with any guys/invite them in to hook up the first few weeks. You have plenty of time at college to do whatever you want. You're with a bunch of people you barely know.

Carry mace on you, and don't walk alone. Get a ride if possible. My chapter compiled a list of girls who are available during the weekday evenings (between 5-11 or so) to give rides back to dorms/the house for safety purposes. We always express to NEVER HESITATE in calling a sister for a ride at night.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...e6c_story.html
Old 10-22-2014, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

August through November is said to be the period when the most sexual assaults take place at colleges / universities. Also, freshmen and sophomore women are a lot more likely to be victims of sexual assaults than junior or senior women.

See

http://www.dailyillini.com/lifeandcu...a4bcf6878.html
Old 06-29-2015, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

good bump...

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Basically, the first rule of the Post Office applies: Don't bend over. Remember, it isn't paranoia if they are out to get you.
(seems working as a casual at a PO one summer was more education that previously thought).