GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,237
3 members and 1,234 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Birmingham-Southern College closing

I just read that Birmingham-Southern will be closing at the end of May this year. I know they have 7 sororities and 6 fraternities on campus, but I'm not sure how this will effect the chapters there.

Here's a link to the news story:
https://www.fox10tv.com/2024/03/26/b...-close-may-31/
Old 03-26-2024, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the sororities have chapters at UAB or Samford but others don't, so I guess they'll fold.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:12 PM

I absolutely cannot believe the Alabama State Treasurer's name is Young Boozer.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh, I can.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel terrible for the students who have to scramble to transfer out. I do wonder if there will be a teach out at a nearby college, meaning you transfer, they try to keep whatever cost you had at your closed college, and you pretty much finish your degree in the amount of time you were meant to.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 03-26-2024, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Remember my husband's co-worker Debbie Downer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
I feel terrible for the students who have to scramble to transfer out. I do wonder if there will be a teach out at a nearby college, meaning you transfer, they try to keep whatever cost you had at your closed college, and you pretty much finish your degree in the amount of time you were meant to.
A colleague's son sped up his degree and is getting out this spring. Others, however, are losing scholarships when they transfer.

I felt like a lot of prospective students saw the handwriting on the wall because new member classes were suddenly tiny last fall. The 6 NPC sororities are Pi Phi, Zeta, AOII, Chi O, Alpha Chi, and KD.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually he's Young Boozer III - welcome to Alabama.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Some of the sororities have chapters at UAB or Samford but others don't, so I guess they'll fold.
So sad. Five of the six NPC chapters are just over, or nearing, one hundred years of service and sisterhood.
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Actually he's Young Boozer III - welcome to Alabama.
Was curious so did a search. Young Boozer III, Eagle Scout, matriculated at Stanford. After graduation he continued on to complete a Wharton MBA. His career path was stellar IMO. I confess his photo did not meet my preconceived notions at all.

Titchou, is there a IV in line? Gauging from his DOB, there could possibly be a V as well. I suspect the name ends with III (in my mind I called him Trey as YBIII is devoid of charm or class, given the facts of his life and career achievements. And “Trey” is much easier and faster to say).

All right, that’s enough out of me. Back to lurking…
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

The following organizations will be affected:

NPHC- Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi Alpha

NPC- Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, Pi Beta Phi, Zeta Tau Alpha

NIC- Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Theta Chi

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Was curious so did a search. Young Boozer III, Eagle Scout, matriculated at Stanford. After graduation he continued on to complete a Wharton MBA. His career path was stellar IMO. I confess his photo did not meet my preconceived notions at all.

Titchou, is there a IV in line? Gauging from his DOB, there could possibly be a V as well. I suspect the name ends with III (in my mind I called him Trey as YBIII is devoid of charm or class, given the facts of his life and career achievements. And “Trey” is much easier and faster to say).

His father was very famous - played on the same Alabama team as Bear Bryant. Also played baseball. Very successful businessman - as was Boozer Sr. Well known in these parts - as we say around here.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

His father was very famous - played on the same Alabama team as Bear Bryant. Also played baseball. Very successful businessman - as was Boozer Sr. Well known in these parts - as we say around here.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

I know that the reason they're closing is because they couldn't get the loan, but why did they need the loan to begin with? Did they have a huge enrollment decline or was it Covid related or what?
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The following organizations will be affected:

NPHC- Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi Alpha

NPC- Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, Pi Beta Phi, Zeta Tau Alpha

NIC- Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Theta Chi
The APhiA chapter is co-chartered with Samford. I don't know how many members of the chapter are BSC students, but I suspect that they will only be minimally affected.
Old Today, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know that the reason they're closing is because they couldn't get the loan, but why did they need the loan to begin with? Did they have a huge enrollment decline or was it Covid related or what?
It's rather a longish story and a tad complicated. One, they always had a high tuition but they would give excellent scholarships to almost everyone. Also, as a Methodist school, PKs could attend free. They funded all this with their very nice endowment. Then they hired a retired Marine General as president and he went on a spending spree. 2008 Recession hit. Then they decided to do away with the crazy big tuition reduced by paying scholarships from the endowment and just lower their tuition. They also went from Club sports to NCAA ones. By the time they figured it all out, the endowment had lost triple digit $$$ and they could no longer sustain it. At least the Rolling Stone didn't come do an expose' like they did for the county's sewer debt! However, the NYT did....