GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,386
0 members and 2,386 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

The "Ugly" American

When travelling in Europe, sometimes I wonder why in many places, Americans are kind of looked down upon. I used to feel slighted and unfairly treated.

Then I saw it, we travelled with one of my mother's friends and she was the "ugly American" that has brought us a bad name all over the world. Expecting everyone to speak English, commenting on how STRANGE everyone else's food and culture are, scouring the city for a McDonalds.. Just expecting the entire world to be the same.

Of course when faced with rudeness they reply with "Damn, we saved your asses in World War II, can't you be grateful?" Sure, most folks are. But don't expect to be waited on hand and foot because of it.

I'm sometimes embarassed to call myself American when I travel abroad because of these people. They are every day acting as our cultural ambassadors. It's no wonder many folks around the world look down on us. We don't always exactly put our best foot forward.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2003, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I know exactly what you mean. I don't feel like I'm any "better" than anyone else because of where I live. I often wonder how I ended up being American (sounds weird I know), but how did Fate decide I belonged here but not in, let's say, the Sudan? Life could be worse, but it could be better. America is just a place, not Heaven. I feel very bad for those who shun other cultures. I mean, there are people who won't even eat at an Indian restaurant because they don't recognize the cuisine...We are so limited here in what we are willing to try. Americans are very much about comfort.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:12 PM

I hear you! I'm fortunate enough never to have traveled with an "ugly American" but I've seen them all over the world... I can see where it would leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

When I travel, I try to get as much exposure to the local culture as possible. I can eat Burger King at home; how many chances am I going to have to eat at Jules Verne or Man Wah or a food court in Singapore? (And it really annoys me when they skimp on the spices, even when I ask them specifically to make my food spicy, because "Americans can't eat spicy food.")

I still call myself American when I travel, to try to prove the point that not all Americans are so gauche.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
I get really pissed off when people ask me if my Mexican friends speak English. . .just because they are from Mexico.
The weird thing about it is my friends are the daughters of one of Mexico's elite. They live in a phat mansion in Mexico City(they also have a nice beach house in Alcapulco). She only wears designer clothes(we're talking $500 for a scarf). But her English is a tad bit off.
It's really mean and aggravating when she speaks Spanish to me(what words I know) and to hear someone whisper 'D- Mexicans, she need to learn English!'
Old 06-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

That's kind of my point... Why does being an American make you inherently better than someone else who's not?

If it's someone from another country I'll guarantee you that in 99% of the cases, they speak english a hell of a lot better than I can speak their native toungue.

Imagine travelling with this family friend in Spain. She actually thinks that speaking slow and loud (in English) will help someone who speaks no English to understand her -- especially when she knows a little Spanish?

They need to make you take cultural sensitivity training before you're granted a passport
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-18-2003, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Ktsnake I know what you mean. I feel like this. When I go off this post I don't expect anyone to speak a world of English. Which is why I am really hesitant to go off this post alone b/c my German is not the best but my husband's is better so I go with him (I would go with him anyway of course ) Many people know that I am an American just by looking at me and so they just speak English but I don't expect them to. My husband told me that many countries do their finances in English so I guess that's how people know it. I know it is also thought in schools over here. My father in law has a saying. People are people no matter where you go... and its true. Sometimes I am just shy b/c I don't want to go down as the "stupid American" b/c my German isn't that great but I do know that a smile is the same everywhere. Sometimes its hard over here b/c I do miss home but I honestly think I am so lucky b/c I get to see these beautiful things that many people never see. So I am also greatful!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually feel like an idiot when I encounter a bilingual person because they can get by in English and another language. I believe that foreign languages should be taught starting in kindergarten here, because we are not an isolated nation and not everyone in the world should have to learn English to appease us! We need to become more open minded, and learning another language can be a start. I WISH I was bilingual and I envy anyone who is!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't like the melting pot analogy any longer since I heard another comment I like better: We are a salad! We have individual flavors that, when blended together and made cohesive with one common "dressing" (ie purpose) of freedom and tolerance, we are complete! I am personally a tomato! The fruit oft mistaken for a veggie! LOL
Old 06-18-2003, 02:22 PM

Re: The "Ugly" American

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Then I saw it, we travelled with one of my mother's friends and she was the "ugly American" that has brought us a bad name all over the world. Expecting everyone to speak English, commenting on how STRANGE everyone else's food and culture are, scouring the city for a McDonalds.. Just expecting the entire world to be the same.
As the saying goes, "if you want things to be like they are back home, STAY HOME!"

For the record, I've seen Germans be big-time complainers (and I'm half German, and witnessed this).

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl
I don't like the melting pot analogy any longer since I heard another comment I like better: We are a salad! We have individual flavors that, when blended together and made cohesive with one common "dressing" (ie purpose) of freedom and tolerance, we are complete! I am personally a tomato! The fruit oft mistaken for a veggie! LOL
Yup, I've heard that America is a tossed salad, and Canada is a "cultural mosaic".

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-18-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
When I was planning to go to Paris, I pulled out my college French books and brushed up on my vocabulary. I went on a tour and met a Korean woman who was about my age and told me that she studied French for six weeks before her trip. She figured that most French people don't speak Korean. I was really impressed. Her English was pretty good for someone who had never lived in an English speaking country. Her French was even better. You could tell that she really made an effort to fit in to the French culture.

When I was in Paris, most French people were very nice and patient with my mediocre French. Most people spoke English, but that is because they worked in the travel industry. I have nothing but positive things to say about Paris except that the Louvre was too crowded near the Mona Lisa.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I also found the French very nice and helpful. They were patient with my high school French (which unfortunately gets mixed with Spanish - yep, I speak Franish) and many did speak quite good English. My group encountered a sweet little lady on the Metro who helped us get off at the right stop for the Louvre, even though she spoke very little English.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cream, LOL at the Mona Lisa! Doesn't it seem really small and unimpressive in that large room?

Some gems that I overheard while I was in Europe.

On a train from Cannes to Marseille:
"I hate this f***ing language, they should speak English like the rest of the world"

In Barcelona:
"The KFC here is not as good as the KFC in (name of American city), they need better food here"

In a cheese shop in France
"Your nacho cheese here sucks"

Luckily, the majority of Americans I met in Europe were not like this.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Whats so funny about the Philippines and traveling there, is that even in the most rural parts, a LOT of people know English and love American culture.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by lionlove
Cream, LOL at the Mona Lisa! Doesn't it seem really small and unimpressive in that large room?

Some gems that I overheard while I was in Europe.

On a train from Cannes to Marseille:
"I hate this f***ing language, they should speak English like the rest of the world"

In Barcelona:
"The KFC here is not as good as the KFC in (name of American city), they need better food here"

In a cheese shop in France
"Your nacho cheese here sucks"

Luckily, the majority of Americans I met in Europe were not like this.
The Mona Lisa was really small compared to how I pictured it. There were hundreds of people waiting to see it. I felt like a pinball being bounced around that room.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
on a tour group (never ever go on a tour group), some lady started to compare different house and historical stuff to what she had in her hometown, which happen to be Cleveland. Uhm, ok, I'm sure Cleveland has many mediviel houses and castles.