GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,666
2 members and 2,664 guests
ER_Pike

Old 03-18-2000, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Genoalan
Post LPhiE Rush Tips

Rushed twice and not once received a bid.
Anyone got tips on how to guarantee, or at least increase the chances of, getting a bid? Throughout rush, I get a really supportive and positive reaction from the brothers; it seems like I'm already in the front door, but then nothing goes in the end. I notice a trend on some of the brothers getting their bids through being natural brothers, friends rushing together and having friends already in the house. I know like 5 or 6 of them in my campus' chapter, I see some of them on a regular basis. But in a way, I can get a sense from 1 or 2 of the brothers that just plain don't like me, yet they've never met me. How do I get around this? I know some say, "if the brothers don't like you, why be around them?" I want to cuz of the majority of the brothers there that I can relate to and ideals of the house. It's just that 1 or 2 guys that have their individual say on my bid voting and their measly voices are enough to change everything.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-19-2000, 06:34 PM

Unhappy

Geonalan

You said that a couple of the guys just don't seem to like you. They're the ones you need to worry about. Find out what's thier deal.

Did you do something without knowing to one of them, friends, girlfriends, or evens girlfriends friends? If any of these people have expressed a negative opinion about you you're gonna have a tough time.

For instance if some guy was a jerk to one of my friends and he then rushed a fraternity that I thought was full of great guys, I'd let them know. Which would almost guarantee he'd not get a bid. Mine you I'd be doing that because I wouldn't want the fraternity to be known for having some jerky guys not just to screw the guy over.

But anyways...if you've rushed twice and REALLY want to be in that particular chapter I'd re-examine your reasons. Maybe they're getting the wrong idea, or at this point they might think you're desperate. And that'd kill your chances too.

Mostly I'd say focus on the guys that seem to have a problem with you. It takes a majority of a chapter to vote you in but it only takes one guy to say "I'll deactivate if he joins." to keep you out.

Just be yourself, be confidant, and don't kiss ass. That's soooo annoying.

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2000, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm female, so I'm in a sorority. I don't exactly know how fraternities do their business, and it is usually confidential. How they vote is beyond me, but I do know that one person can rock the boat. Fraternity brothers and sorority sisters tend to stick together, so if there is just one person that "doesn't like you." that could be the problem. I am not saying this is the case.

Typically, people don't vote against you just because they "don't like you." The overall evaluation is usually based on what you can bring to the organization. Are you a "go getter" or are you a "partier." Members have to evaluate and try to decide if you are going to help the organization move on or are you going to hold them back. Believe it or not, some people want to join just because it makes them look more socially pleasing. I'm not saying this is the case either. What I am saying however, is that these are some things to think about. Trying to "fit in" to hard might make you look a little desparate and that is a turn off. We want people to join our organizations because they have a sense of pride, dedication, they believe in themselves and they believe in what our orginization stands for, they support our philanthropy, and they feel they can add to the commitment and traditions of our orginizations. Maybe you are trying too hard to be "buddies" with these guys and that makes them feel that you want to join for social standing. This is just a possibility. If, and I say if, this is the case, stop trying to prove yourself. You shouldn't have to prove yourself, you should just be yourself. If this organization doesn't like the true you, then it is not meant to be. You don't want to be in an organization that doesn't want what you have to offer. Move on to another organization that can benifit from your individual qualities. Those are the organizations that you should want to join because those are the people who will value you and respect you as a person.

Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

------------------
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)