GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,599
0 members and 2,599 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2000, 10:54 AM
TishaC.

Question What is a Q dog?

My associate says that he belongs to a frat called Q dog? I've never heard of this fraternity. Can anyone explain this to me?
Old 06-02-2000, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Elder members of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. actually do not like this term. They prefer Omega men. For greater clarification, you should ask your friend.

Quote:
Originally posted by TishaC.:
My associate says that he belongs to a frat called Q dog? I've never heard of this fraternity. Can anyone explain this to me?

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-02-2000, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
I'm sure if you ask you associate the greek-letter name of his organization, he will tell you.

I've noticed that you have some basic questions about BGLOs. A good reference for you would be the book The Divine Nine, by Lawrence Ross. It gives an overview of each of the organizations governed by the National Panhellenic Council, which are all historically African-American-founded organizations.

DG
Old 06-06-2000, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION,THE DEFINITION OF A Q-DOG IS A YOUNG MEMBER OF OMEGA PSI PHI. THIS YOUNG MAN HAS NOT YET DEVELOPED WHAT THE OLDER MEMBERS HAVE DEVELOPED. THEY ARE TO CONCERNED WITH JUMPING, BARKING, AND STEPPING. Q-DOGS ARE JUST YOUNG MEN WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND YET. OMEGA MEN ARE THOSE WHO ALREADY KNOW THE WORTH OF THE ORGANIZATION. THEY WORK WITH THOSE PEOPLE WHO NEED HELP AND THEY DO THEIR COMMUNITY SERVICE, BECAUSE WE ALL ARE PLEGED TO SERVE. THEY ALSO LEND A HAND TO THOSE WHO ARE TRYING TO ENHANCE THERE LIVES BY BECOMING A MEMBER OF THIS WORTHY ORGANIZATION, SOME ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH, BUT SOME JUST DON'T GET IT YET. SO AS YOU CAN SEE THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN BEING A Q-DOG AND AN OMEGA MAN!!!!
Old 06-15-2000, 08:23 PM
Omega Sis

Wink

According to the Omegas I know of Omega Psi Phi fraternity Inc. A Que dog is a person on line to be a member of the fraternity. They have begun the process, but have not crossed over into full membership. Once you cross over, you are a Omega. Those who are members find it offensive to be called a Que dog as they have earned the right to be called an Omega and not a Que dog.
Old 06-16-2000, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Omega Sis,
I don't know if your brother is an Omega or whether you are an E or what, but the term Que is NOT used when someone is on line. I have no idea where you got your information, but again, people on line are NOT called Ques. It is a term for members of Omega Psi Phi, in fact most neos are proud to call themselves Ques AFTER they have gone over....as far as older men, I know some older Ques (maninly my friends' dads) and they call themselves Ques all the time, but not necessarily Q-dog.......Anyway, there aren't many Ques on this website so I am responding on their behalf. As far as the origial question.....it is a secret known only by Omegas!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega Sis:
According to the Omegas I know of Omega Psi Phi fraternity Inc. A Que dog is a person on line to be a member of the fraternity. They have begun the process, but have not crossed over into full membership. Once you cross over, you are a Omega. Those who are members find it offensive to be called a Que dog as they have earned the right to be called an Omega and not a Que dog.
Old 06-16-2000, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Tisha, the best way for you to find out what you want to know is to ask your associate himself. He may not be at liberty to discuss in depth all that it means, but at least HE is speaking from knowledge and not ignorance.

Queen, I think that your "personal opinion" was rather stereotypical. Maybe you don't have the PRIVELEGE of knowing too many members of the org. but to say that all Q-dogs are ONLY concerned with stepping, barking, and such really shows your ignorance of the organization...and by the way, there are members of EVERY org. who may only be concerned with such trivial things as you mentioned, but those people may not be representative of the entire brotherhood...I suggest you meet and greet!!!
Just my "personal opinion!"

------------------
'Cause I'm a woman,
Phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
That's me

Maya Angelou
Old 06-17-2000, 01:00 AM
Queen#4

Angry

Well DIVA,

Your not so savey are you???

Must you resort to name calling, how childish
you must be!!!!???

First of all let me inform you that yes I got my information from an omega man. And if you really want details the man is my brother. he has been a Q for 11 years.
Do you know fact or fiction???
Do you know what a Q dog really is ????
Do you know the difference between a Q-Dog and an Omega Man!!!!!

If you can some how go back in time and talk to the founders please let me know what they said!!!!!

IGNORANT!!!!

PLEASE!!!! YOU NEED TO EVALUATE YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS, BEFORE YOU START NAME CALLING.

QUEEN#4
Old 06-18-2000, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

first of all, the real meaning of any of these things is classified information. we will never know the symbolism that is associated with the 'que' or the 'dog' and nor should we. it is fraternity business. no matter what relationship you share with a member, that does not make you privy to their secrets. now as far as my knowledge goes, men of omega psi phi of all ages refer to themselves as ques or que dogs. to my knowledge it is not a term of disrespect. is it official, nope. but, it is senseless to bicker about something that none of us have the answer to for real. finally, i think that this just reaffirms the fact that people are a little too inquisitive about things that don't concern them. some questions are not ok to ask. that is what makes us unique and special.
Old 06-17-2000, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

OKAY,

>>>Must you resort to name calling, how childish must you be!!!!???

First of all, What name calling are you referring to? I re-read my post, and I don't believe that I called you anything! When I told Tisha that she should consult with her friend because anyone who isn't a member of Omega Psi Phi, IS, in fact, ignorant in regards to their official practices and such.
Maybe you took the word IGNORANCE in the wrong context. The word has several meanings, the meaning that I implied was "uninstructed" or "uninformed" (Webster's dictionary). So if you took offense to my post...too bad, it wasn't my intention.
I, too, have family members who are Ques, one of my brothers, two uncles, and a grandfather, and yet none of these acquaintances make ME qualified to instruct someone on their official practices, beliefs and such. So this is why I directed TishaC back to her associated for He is at least well informed enough to give her an informed perspective.

>>>Do you know fact or fiction???
Do you know what a Q dog really is???
Do you know the difference between a Q-dog and an Omega Man!!!>>>

I am not an Omega, therefore, I didn't give her any advice I told her to consult with her friend, an Omega....please re-read my post with an OPEN mind and you'll see that no one was attacking you! My point to you is that there are gung-ho individuals in every organization who may be only concerned with stepping, and such, and to single out Omega, is very stereotypical. I don't take back ANYTHING that I said, and if you took anything the wrong way, wasn't my intentions!!!

I won't reply again, because there's no need...neither you or I are members so there is no debate necessary!!

Thank you....One SAVVY diva indeed!

Old 06-19-2000, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I will NOT address this matter again!!!!!

QUEEN#4
Old 06-19-2000, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Onesavvydiva,

Let it go. Queen#4 is not worth the effort. People are so quick to become angry over the small stuff.
Old 06-19-2000, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

DSTBrat -- very well said. Somethings just shouldn't be asked. Like my mother always says "sometimes you learn more if you don't ask."

Old 06-19-2000, 06:44 PM
Consideration

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by dstbrat:
some questions are not ok to ask. that is what makes us unique and special.
I cannot speak for TishaC., but I assumed the original question to be nothing more than just not knowing a nickname (the same as one may not know what a Sig Ep - Sigma Phi Epsilon Frat - is or an AZD (Alpha Xi Delta Sorority). I think her question could have been easily answered with: "It pertains to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc." and left at that.

I'm sorry to see so many people so eager to call out each other by reading more into a post than is there!

And how is a person supposed to know whether or not to ask a question? I have people all the time ask me about our crest, our badge, our symbols, etc. I was always taught to reply to a secret pertaining to business was to POLITELY say "that information is revealed to members only". I would never tell them its not appropriate to ask a question - then they may not want to be a part of my group because I sounded mean!
Sometimes its not WHAT you say, but HOW it is said!

Anyway, back to the original question:
TishaC., the term Q-dog pertains to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

Old 06-19-2000, 07:07 PM
PIKAZZO

Red face

I thought that this was a place where you can voice your opinion. But it seems to me like all of the forums that I have looked in on have been attacking others.???
I wouldn't be suprized if they never return to the forum?

Like this poor girl Queen, all she did was voice her opinion.

All of you seem like educated adults but it sounds to me like some people here, just want to break people down until they feel like thier opionion does not matter.

I really don't think that is fair!!!
Let people have their vioces!!!!

PEACE BE STILL!!!!!!
Closed Thread