GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5

Old 04-29-2003, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Summer Rush

Dear Fraters from all areas,

I was wondering if any chapters had a successful summer rush program. Here at Pi-Upsilon, we thought about getting lists from local high schools of who was planning on going to our school Towson University, in the fall. We wanted to then contact them somehow either by email, snail mail, or phone, to get them out with us. A lot of my chapter's membership is within a 2 hour radius of our campus.
Just looking for some ideas on how to start/execute something like this, and if it is even possible. Please do not confuse my request for a copy of the Triangle Achievement program, for that involves parameters that we, at this point in the semester, will not be able to pull off.

I thank you for your time, and I look forward to your suggestions and Ideas.

YITB,

Joe Webb
Prytanis
Pi-Upsilon #70
Towson University, Maryland
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2003, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wes_517 Send a message via Yahoo to Wes_517
there's some very successful chapters that do active rush in the summer, involving getting some of the more upstanding members, and taking a big road trip to visit perspectives over the summer, i don't have the details on how they do it, but from everything i've heard it's very successful.

you could also see if you could get the addresses of the incomming freshmen and send them all a postcard with a website address for your chapter, it's taking a chance since it'll be cheaper than full letters, but there's also a good chance that they won't take a look.

Sending out full letters is great for parents, maybe see for the future if you could get some TKE calenders of local events, or magnets with phone numbers of local sub shops and pizza places, or the ever popular dorm cup.

the idea of a big summer rush is VERY possible, and if your school lets you, so is a summer new member class, especially if the whole chapter is that close to school.

I'd suggest making first contact by normal mail, people get so much junk email these days probably 3 out of 4 would just flat out delete it, but most people will still open up normal mail.

from there i'd suggest a summer event or two, like a large scale picnic in the park and invite the potentials and their families, let that be a kinda welcome to school, come see us before you look anywhere else type thing.

just make sure the plans are set up WELL before hand and make sure everyone is respectable at the events, nothing's worse than doing a parents day and some of the guys get drunk and pass out in front of people's parents...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Nu-Mu356
We are also hoping for a huge summer rush as well. For us, we can get a list of all incoming freshmen from IFC, they give them out to all fraternities. Then we spends days calling them up and inviting them to our rush events. Some of our ideas span from taking road trips to different cities where certain alumni live who are willing to help out and just partying with them. Other times we'll invite them to a party and to hang out at the house.

It's hard to get summer rushees. The key is to get ones who are already in the same city as the school. That way they can hang out with the chapter more often and when formal rush comes around, you already got about 5 guys pledging who can sell the idea of pledging to the rushees. When you think about it, your pledges are your most vital rushers. They have to sell the idea of doing it to rushees, to get them to join.

If you have a website, make a good rush page. We're working on that ourselves. We're not going to put up what nationals gives you. It's too generic and every other TKE site does that. You're not just getting them to rush TKE, you're getting them to rush YOUR CHAPTER of TKE. All TKE chapters are different in their own right, get the rushees to want to be apart of your chapter, not just the whole fraternity in general. We're going to put up a frequently asked questions page that we ourselves are making. We're gonna make it serious, but witty. Informative, but not too overbearing.

Bumrushing these guys with stats and acheivements is usually a bad idea. We've had some of our guys try and rush a group of guys that came over and all they did was talk about "The elite fraternity" and "The most honorable" and all that tacky crap. Those guys they were rushing left immediately and never wanted to come back again, so naturally, if you have that same stuff on the website, it's not gonna fly over too smoothly, know what i mean?

Show the rushees you're interested. Invite them over to the house. Have an open house, whatever.

Those are just some suggestions and thoughts.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

We at KX in Montreal are trying a summer rush program this year. We, however, are doing it by word of mouth. Some people were unable to rush during the last semester because of school committments, guys who once in the fraternity would take an active role, but could not rush for one reason or another. I have been to many a rush conference and always come away one simple fact:

Organizing rush is fine. You get a few new members that way. The most successful rush strategy I have always found is to just tell people, spread the word. People WANT to join, you just have to show them they want to join. You will notice that the slightly problematic people in the chapter are inevitably the ones who sign up at the rush table - you dont know them as you would know a friend you told should rush. (Not that rush tables and the like are useless). In order to get rushes by word of mouth the whole chapter needs to be involved, which is tough!

Anyways, I hope at least something I have said helps you out. Stress to potential summer members that it would be less strenuous to join in the summer because they are not taking courses. That should help alot. But I am sure you know all this. Just thought I would offer my two cents as the Rush Chairman up here in Montreal!

YITB
Brent Gooch Gerchicoff
KX 473
Old 05-03-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone remember the approx percentages that were thrown out for always joiners, possible joiners and never joiners?

I think my memory might be off, but i'm recalling 10% of people are looking for an organization to join, 10% will never join an organization, and 80% don't know if they want to join or not.

so basically, all you really need is to be able to clearly communicate why someone should join. be it friendship, oppertunities, being part of a large strong group, one or two brothers that they feel very close to, whatever reason that is.

And i also agree that some of the most hyped rushers are people who just signed a bid, got handed a TKE shirt, and the next 3-4 days, you see that guy around campus, not willing to take that shirt off. But a strong word of warning for trying to get other pledges this way, the guy is new, he doesn't know what TKE is about yet, use these guys to meet his friends and get the word out, but simply because he said someone is a good guy, doesn't necessarily mean that guy is a good guy. find that out for yourself.

also contrary to some chapters beliefs, girls CAN wear letters. it's in the blackbook that they just can't wear the crest. If this isn't the case at a certain school, that's because the chapter there decided to make the rule for their own chapter. (IHQ strongly suggests handing out TKE shirts to females)
Old 05-04-2003, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ncstatetke
As IFC VP of Recruitment for a 30,000+ school, I have had to come up with some ideas for the 24 chapters I am in charge of and for TKE.

First off, summer orientation is key. If you are able to set up chapter and/or IFC tables I strongly recommend doing so. It will get out the word about rushing fraternities and plant the seed. 18 year old boys do NOT know the difference between TKE, Kappa Sig, PiKA, etc. So you don't want to bombard them with Greek Week trophies, composites, awards, etc. But, if you get a bunch of reps from each of the chapters out there answering questions from prospects and their parents, you are able to get the Greek idea in their head a few months before they come to school. This also gives them the impression that there is a large Greek percentage on campus, even if there is not.

Another idea for orientation is if you see a family walking around campus, offer to give them a guided tour. Tell the family where the ctudent center is, where the dorms are, the hangouts, the library, the fraternity court (if your school has one), where his classes will be. That has been a great tool for Beta-Beta.

We are doing the Triangle Acheivement Program, so we are taking a lot of stock in that. However, something you might be able to do instead of giving scholarships, is to send TKE or "Go Greek" flyers to area guidance councelors to put up of bulletin boards throughout the school. The Raleigh area schools have been very willing to participate in this. I don't know when schools gets out in MD, but you should still have time.

Picnics are a great idea to get local recruits. Even better would be an all-day round robin type softball or football tourney followed by a cookout. Invite parents....you've got to cinvince them that TKE's the chapter for their son to join.

Most importantly, remember you are not selling beer, you are selling TKE. I don't want to get preachy, but since we've gone totally dry our numbers have skyrocketed. 23 when I pledged in '98 to ~70 now. If you feel you HAVE to get them drunk to get them to pledge, you obviously need to overhaul your recruitment system

....if you want any ideas for Fall rush, I might be of assistance. IM me at: ncstatetke
Old 05-04-2003, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

If you want formal rush training, there's an event called the Recruitment Boot Camp, I believe there is still room to sign up, but the last spots in the two sections are going quickly.

http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/greatno...s/bootcamp.htm

This is being put on by CampusSpeak, (who is also looking for interns) So it's not just a TKE event or a Fraternity event, but it will cover all types of formal and unformal rush and working with other chapters on your campus WITH A MONEY BACK GAURENTEE YOUR NUMBERS WILL GO UP. do yourself a favor, check it out, mention it to your exec boards, if your looking for help, this is a great way to get it.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

hello everyone

Well, what can i say, my University is very different then most chapters up north.

For our summer rush we get 20 guys.. average..
Every fraternity on our campus has a theme something to do with the summer.. like pool party, foam party, and club party...

I went to the Southeastern INterfraternity Leadership academy in Atlanta ( good times) and i experienced most of those speakers and i dont think it related to my universities character...

BTW a statistic that i was taken by chronical of higher learning..
1. Number one fear is HAZING
2. 79 % of kids 12-14 look up to parents the most
3. most kids are interested in scholarship and education

This was a study taken by chronical of higher learning with surveys of the new generation.. which they are calling Generation Millenials 1982-2002

if you want more information on summer rush... or rush in general.. feel free to email me at perma23@aol.com

Edwin perez
Old 05-17-2003, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Great info guys, its threads like these that make this board usuful as well as fun.