GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,501
3 members and 1,498 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Can Med Students go Greek?

Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum. this is kind of a double post, but my situation differs from others.

Looking back, it was the dumbest mistake for me not going greek when I was an undergraduate. I had a blast in my undergrad, but I would go greek if I could go back and redo everything. I’m currently in the application process for med school (future doctor in training over here, haha). I was wondering do fraternities accept guys in grad/medical schools?

I’m a chill guy, nothing wrong with me…except maybe that im 23. I’m a pretty well rounded guy. I surf, used to play water polo in high school and won CIF. I majored in drama (great for songfest/greek sing). Also, I’m Asian (if that affects people’s decisions), but like I said I’m chill. I’m financially stable/affluent (got a porsche ) and dont mind kicking it with freshman. no discrimination over here.

I’m not interested in professional fraternities (esp since I don’t think there are ones for doctors…). I just really messed up by rushing the wrong house as an undergrad. i was bidded by a top house, but it just didnt feel right and didnt take it.

So, does anyone know of a fraternity with an open mind that will take med students? or am I sunk? thoughts? anyone got any suggestions about how to approach this non-traditional situation? should i contact nationals first to talk with the chapter advisor and discuss my situation with him mono y mono or would that piss the actives off? should i even try? i mean, you would think that at least one chapter could use a rich athletic chill soon-to-be doctor, right?

thanks in advance. take it easy
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't comment on whether or not fraternities can/will accept guys in grad/med school, but I can comment on the fact that the chances of you having the time to commit to a fraternity are minuscule, assuming you get in.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I can't comment on whether or not fraternities can/will accept guys in grad/med school, but I can comment on the fact that the chances of you having the time to commit to a fraternity are minuscule, assuming you get in.
i thought about the whole time commitment thing too. but, it shouldnt be a problem because i still gotta drink and have a life. that doesn't change even though id be in med school.

Last edited by ucirvinealumnus; 10-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You have NO idea what you are getting yourself into.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucirvinealumnus View Post
i thought about the whole time commitment thing too. but, it shouldnt be a problem because i still gotta drink and have a life. that doesn't change even though id be in med school.
Hahahaha!!! Oh, thats awesome.

In a serious answer though, I had quite a few friends in med school who were in " professional" fraternities-but at my school there were like, 4 for med students. And they were anything but professional....thats meant in the best way possible. However, they were different from your traditional undergrad fraternities in that, while they threw a few themed parties a year, they didn't have the community service time commitments, formals, etc that you'd normally see.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AGREE.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't hurt to ask the specific fraternities in question.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum. this is kind of a double post, but my situation differs from others.

Looking back, it was the dumbest mistake for me not going greek when I was an undergraduate. I had a blast in my undergrad, but I would go greek if I could go back and redo everything. I’m currently in the application process for med school (future doctor in training over here, haha). I was wondering do fraternities accept guys in grad/medical schools?

I’m a chill guy, nothing wrong with me…except maybe that im 23. I’m a pretty well rounded guy. I surf, used to play water polo in high school and won CIF. I majored in drama (great for songfest/greek sing). Also, I’m Asian (if that affects people’s decisions), but like I said I’m chill. I’m financially stable/affluent (got a porsche ) and dont mind kicking it with freshman. no discrimination over here.

I’m not interested in professional fraternities (esp since I don’t think there are ones for doctors…). I just really messed up by rushing the wrong house as an undergrad. i was bidded by a top house, but it just didnt feel right and didnt take it.

So, does anyone know of a fraternity with an open mind that will take med students? or am I sunk? thoughts? anyone got any suggestions about how to approach this non-traditional situation? should i contact nationals first to talk with the chapter advisor and discuss my situation with him mono y mono or would that piss the actives off? should i even try? i mean, you would think that at least one chapter could use a rich athletic chill soon-to-be doctor, right?

thanks in advance. take it easy
Quote:
Quote:
This guy thinks he's going to have time to be a frat daddy when he's not even going to have time to sleep.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, most fraternities won't take a non-undergrad. I say most because there are some campuses where grad students can pledge. I have never heard of or seen these campuses, but from what I've heard on GC this does occur. That being said, that is definitely an exception, not the norm.

You say you got a bid at a 'top' house at UCI, so you know how rush works. The national organization has little say in how groups on campus select their members (unless the group is being watched like a hawk or a new colony). Contacting the national organization would be pretty useless. The only way you would know for sure is by contacting rush chairmen.

There is a reason why, although the NIC allows it, grad/med/law students are not given bids. The work load is intense and your free time is not even close to how it was as an undergrad. How can you make pledge meetings, chapter, fraternity events, mixers and philanthropy events all while balancing the work load of a med student? I have friends (who were in Greek Life) in med school right now and there is no way they could balance med school with being Greek.

Like others said, professional fraternities in med school are the only option available to you.

Though, talking about how awesome, rich, good-looking and athletic you are would be enough to make me not want to give you a bid.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
Can't hurt to ask the specific fraternities in question.
The issue is not on the fraternity's end here.
Quote:
Hell, I've never been a med student, and I apparently have a better idea of what he's getting into than he does. I have friends in med school who don't have time to get a meal with me because of their rotations.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck and please check back in with us when you are accepted and let us know where you are in school to be a "soon to be doctor".
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
sorry to double post, but this made me spray my glass of wine on my laptop. I'm still laughing.....but what do I know, Dr. ZTA is a surgeon and our daughters are in med school.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
This guy thinks he's going to have time to be a frat daddy when he's not even going to have time to sleep.
heee.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
I say most because there are some campuses where grad students can pledge.
This isn't a campus decision. It's a GLO decision.

To the OP -- You won't have the time or energy to pledge during med school. "Having a drink" is not that same as learning the history of an organization and bonding with its members.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 10-23-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

To throw in the mix though, I know several people who were active in their GLOs while in med school. And I know ONE person who became an Alpha while in med school.

But clearly their activity ceased by the time they got to year three.