GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,362
1 members and 1,361 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Black people in Panhellenic?

d

Last edited by hithere112; 08-10-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Ucacheer2213
It is not weird,and it is like a breath of fresh air!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere112 View Post
I don't know why there is not an equal amount of diversity in sororities.
Then you need to be educated about the world around you and put sorority membership on the backburner.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Gosh Dr. Phil, that was more of a figure of speech more than anything. Of course I KNOW why, I just wish it could be otherwise. Way to be rude.
"I don't know" is not a figure of speech in this instance. Act like you know and say what you mean.

As for rude, you are a teenager so I should not expect you to know what it means when you say:

Quote:
Dont hold back on me
Old 07-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I wouldnt have cared so much if you had actually answered my question. I dont have the time or even care to argue with you, gotta get to church. Have a nice day!
Look here, flouncing teenager, your question has been asked many times on GC and in real life. Be educated, act like you are educated, and do whatever you choose to do. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

To answer your question, it's going to depend on your school and the diversity in the school overall. My school is pretty small and a private institution (about 4000 undergrads). We have 4 Panhel sororities, 2 traditionally African American sororities and several other multicultural sororities. I will say that MOST of the black women who go Greek at my school at least look into the multicultural ones, but they also usually go through formal recruitment for Panhel. Each of our 4 houses have between 50 and 65 members. In my own house, we have only 4 black women, and the other 3 Panhel chapters have only 2 or 3 each. It is not weird for you to be interested in both. I'd say go to information sessions for both and try to decide what is right for you. You may want to wait a year before you actually join any sorority, just to make sure you get used to college life and that way you can also make sure the decision you make is the right one for you. Hope that helps a little.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Just an FYI - it's NPC, not Panhel or Pan (the latter of which is NEVER used)

Panhellenic is the governing body over all (or most) sorority chapters on individual campuses. NPC, NPHC, NIC, NALFO, etc. - these are conferences or councils that govern organizations on the national level.

You're considering joining an NPC sorority.. not a Pan sorority.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Yes, your question has been asked a number of times.

Yes, it is a shame there is not more diversity among the NPC sororities. It reflects, unfortunately, the world we live in.

A definitive answer to your question, though, would depend on the school you plan to attend, the attitudes of the various groups, and your outlook. Some schools' councils work together well and recognize people are not necessarily stratified; others are in constant competition, and if you show interest in one council first, the others will have nothing to do with you.

I regret there is no single response that will help you decide what to do.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Just an FYI - it's NPC, not Panhel or Pan (the latter of which is NEVER used)

Panhellenic is the governing body over all (or most) sorority chapters on individual campuses. NPC, NPHC, NIC, NALFO, etc. - these are conferences or councils that govern organizations on the national level.

You're considering joining an NPC sorority.. not a Pan sorority.
Ok, thank your for the info, my mistake!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's an issue of cultural norms and social differences between those in different races. Social fraternties/sororities are strongly social (sorry about stating the obvious), so there're going to be correlated strongly with race because culture is strongly correlated to race.

That said, I've seen a few exceptions. For example, I've personally met a black girl who's a Tri-Delta at a SEC. She expresses annoyance when people ask why she's not in a NPHC.

If you feel that a NPC organization is something you're interested in, by all means, rush and see if you find a fit.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I would recommend you do your research--which includes, but is not limited to, doing a search on similar topics. It's something we end up discussing here a few times a year so there should be relatively current stuff.

Ultimately, it depends on your school.

Best of luck to you regardless of what your decision is.