GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,516
1 members and 1,515 guests
naraht

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Sisterhood Events!

Hi everyone. I know there have been one or two previous posts about this, but I am looking for some sisterhood event ideas! I want to offer events that we can all do together for a reasonable price. I really want to build up our sisterhood even stronger than it is now and I think that this is a great way to do it!

Any ideas for events or things to do with sisters would be greatly appreciated!

---------------------
AXO<3
Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Pick a popular TV show that lots of your sisters like and watch it together. You can have different pledge classes bring different snacks to keep costs down.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Arts and crafts (paint your own pottery), roller skating, spa night, game night, bowling, laser tag, cookies and cocoa, watch "insert tv show here" every week in the tv lounge, lunch every Wednesday in a dining hall or the student union, sister sleepover, play guess the sister with funny facts and trivia about members to help everyone get go bond and know each other better.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Sister dinners, going to a campus sporting event together, etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

There's a lot of different things you can do:

Have standing sisterhood events once a week. This can be something like lunch at the school cafe on a certain day. Coffee before chapter. Sporting events. If there's a campus wide event going on that week- a speaker, fundraiser, philanthropy event by another chapter, intramurals, etc. The important thing is to get sisters to consistently going to these events. Some people might not be able to due to class, but if you can, try and corral as many sisters as you can to go to them.

TV shows are good, but they don't allow for much conversation. Maybe if someone has a Netflix account, set it up to watch a different movie each week and have a conversation about the movie afterwards. Or if your sisters have a good collection of DVD's, you can swap off movies once a week. Doesn't matter if its something you've seen before. Comedies are great, but when we did this, we usually alternated between comedies and thought-provoking dramas/documentaries. These usually had really good conversations afterwards.

For cheaper events, do a homemade facial/spa night. All you really need is some oatmeal, egg whites, lemon juice, avocado, etc. Google some recipes for DIY facial masks and you'll get a lot of ideas. Sisters can bring their nail polish and do mani/pedi's. Pair sisters up for massages, etc. If you don't like "touching" each other like that, a couple of lightweight balls (volleyballs, soccer balls, etc) are good for massaging backs and legs.

Have a cake decorating party. Decorate cupcakes and have small prizes for the cutest cupcake. Frosting, sprinkles, assorted candies are good for this.

Have a make-your-own sundae bar. Get big tubs of ice cream and fixings and have everyone go to town.

One thing my chapter did that I really liked is that they had something called the "Sigma Store" (call it whatever you like). At chapter meetings and recruitment workshops, we had questions once a week that if you answered correctly, you got "Sigma Dollars". Save up enough and you can buy small, older sorority stuff. This is good if you have lots of left over bid-day shirts, gifts and what not. Sisters can trade in their "money" for the goodies whenever. I got some awesome bid day shirts from like 5 years before I joined, license plate frames, stationary, pens, etc. This is also good if you're having attendance issues at sisterhood events- award money for attending (although for us, attending was a points thing, so we were supposed to be there anyway). You can also give money to sisters who do "sisterly" things during the week- tutoring, helping a sister with groceries, etc. Just make sure to submit your good deeds- we always had so many that our exec board just put them in a jar and pulled out three a week for money.

Arrange for someone to speak to your chapter about things you may not know how to do- we had a mechanic come talk to us about changing tires, checking fluid in our cars, etc. These allow for people to actually try their hand at something and find that they might actually be good at it.

We also did weekly workouts together to different workout videos.

Make it fun, start traditions, and be consistent about planning sisterhood events throughout the semester or year. It was weird for us to go more than 2 weeks without a sisterhood event.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I was sisterhood co-chair last semester with one of my best friends. The way our sisterhood position works is that they traditionally hold a larger, off-campus event and then a few smaller events during the rest of the semester. We had a hayride and bonfire as our big event and we rented a bus to take us to the farm. We also had monthly "Stress Baking" sessions, monthly themed chapter meetings (if your board will allow that), a Halloween party with trick-or-treating in our suite, a Thanksgiving potluck dinner, a Winter holiday party, and a movie night.
I would consider looking at different places around campus that you could go to like a bowling alley or a museum. Having a themed movie night (like a Toga night if you watch "Hercules") is a good idea. We had a Sephora event last year where we rented out the store for a couple hours and the sisterhood budget bought everyone a $10 gift card. It was a lot of fun and we got to have make-overs. We've had spa nights and craft nights too. You could also organize a group to go see a game and make posters beforehand. We do that for Homecoming every year. If you need anymore ideas, let me know.